ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Softball

Part of this is not correct in my mind . While the two pitchers (to begin the year) were only top 100 types --as the year went on the two pitchers shot up the rankings and Reid made many top 10 lists based on her performance in the playoffs (she just crushed it and shut down everyone she saw). Based on this (and because she is left handed) I think Reid may be able to compete early. But I am sure Coacha wants to redshirt them. She may want to rethink that as Danley will compete when she gets here - she is a legit top 5 Pitcher. I might add as HS starts (I believe we can offer August 1) we are after 2-3 real shut down top 10 types. We will see who we offer and who commits. To recap- we might be OK in 2-3 years but in my mind we need to fix several things now- and a shut down (preferable lefty) Pitcher is imperative. JMHO

Reactions: FletchCC
And the question is - although both our pitching coach as well as head coach, why aren’t pitchers in the portal seeking her or the Top Ten Seminoles out? Why isnt she having transfer portal success?

The two incoming freshman pitchers are very, very good. Not as good as UF's top recruit coming in, but close after that. The "national ranking" stuff is a little off for softball for various reasons, especially for pitchers, and our two are easily top 10, top 5, recruits.

The two incoming freshman pitchers are very, very good. Not as good as UF's top recruit coming in, but close after that. The "national ranking" stuff is a little off for softball for various reasons, especially for pitchers, and our two are easily top 10, top 5, recruits.
Based on their late season performance I would concur. Not sure it matters as Coacha usually wants to Red Shirt all Pitchers. BUT-- as Danley is coming the year after that we might see one of them pitch immediately.

And the question is - although both our pitching coach as well as head coach, why aren’t pitchers in the portal seeking her or the Top Ten Seminoles out? Why isnt she having transfer portal success?
A real conundrum.

I’m curious (yet hopeful) about your statement that both of our incoming freshmen pitchers are “very very good”. They aren’t in the Top 100. Recruiting services may be debatable but if they aren’t in the Top 100 I have found that to be a sign. “Easily Top 10, Top 5 recruits”. Please be true! Doesn’t make up for other perceived shortages we have discussed however.

I’m curious (yet hopeful) about your statement that both of our incoming freshmen pitchers are “very very good”. They aren’t in the Top 100. Recruiting services may be debatable but if they aren’t in the Top 100 I have found that to be a sign. “Easily Top 10, Top 5 recruits”. Please be true! Doesn’t make up for other perceived shortages we have discussed however.
Those may be old lists. Both have gained respect during their senior season. One may be a top 10 type and the other has clearly improved to the point she is not a project. JMHO

Reactions: ranger43
Those may be old lists. Both have gained respect during their senior season. One may be a top 10 type and the other has clearly improved to the point she is not a project. JMHO
OK - Then I will keep my fingers crossed at pitcher. Still doesn't address our needs at 3rd, questionably cf, the reluctance of top transfers to pick FSU, and last year's tendency to play better on the road than at home. Don't want to sound negative, so I will stop there and hope you are right.

OK - Then I will keep my fingers crossed at pitcher. Still doesn't address our needs at 3rd, questionably cf, the reluctance of top transfers to pick FSU, and last year's tendency to play better on the road than at home. Don't want to sound negative, so I will stop there and hope you are right.
We still need a pitcher to get us thru until Ried (lefty and the highest rated right now) and or Balk are ready to contribute full time. Danley is coming the next year and she is top 5. I am hopeful come august we get one or two of the top 5 pitchers we are after for 2024. We also need a big time masher to play either center or 3rd right now in my mind. JMHO

We still need a pitcher to get us thru until Ried (lefty and the highest rated right now) and or Balk are ready to contribute full time. Danley is coming the next year and she is top 5. I am hopeful come august we get one or two of the top 5 pitchers we are after for 2024. We also need a big time masher to play either center or 3rd right now in my mind. JMHO
A few of the loyal on this board believe the same thing. Seminole Boosters has an auction in February every year for Dinner with Coacha and her assistants. One of us needs to win that dinner and pick her brain. They stopped the podcasts as well as the monthly Zoom calls they were having with the Coach’s Club. I feel like the fans are more disconnected than they once were.

A few of the loyal on this board believe the same thing. Seminole Boosters has an auction in February every year for Dinner with Coacha and her assistants. One of us needs to win that dinner and pick her brain. They stopped the podcasts as well as the monthly Zoom calls they were having with the Coach’s Club. I feel like the fans are more disconnected than they once were.
Between now and August 2 will be a critical time for our program. JMHO

From the Robocoach rumor mill: Arizona St Pitcher Allison Royalty to FSU. Nothing official.
Hope you are wrong, but this sounds disappointingly enough like Lonni.
We don't go after Kilfoyl who was proven with 4 years at Bama and 2ish era, but we go after
Allison Royalty from ASU.
Stats: https://thesundevils.com/documents/2022/5/29/Final_Overall.pdf?path=softball
The year before she was 11-6 with a 3.20 ERA.
Yeah makes sense!
What part of these stats scream FSU?
She was the 4th pitcher at ASU. All the others had ERAs in the 2. range.
Hey I hear Bethune Cookman has a #2 pitcher with 4.00 ERA available. (sarcasm)

Last edited:
Hope you are wrong, but this sounds disappointingly enough like Lonni.
We don't go after Kilfoyl who was proven with 4 years at Bama and 2ish era, but we go after
Allison Royalty from ASU.
Stats: https://thesundevils.com/documents/2022/5/29/Final_Overall.pdf?path=softball
The year before she was 11-6 with a 3.20 ERA.
Yeah makes sense!
What part of these stats scream FSU?
She was the 4th pitcher at ASU. All the others had ERAs in the 2. range.
Hey I hear Bethune Cookman has a #2 pitcher with 4.00 ERA available. (sarcasm)
I freely admit I do not know what Coacha does nor do I have her skills but this seems majorly perplexing. I just can't wrap my head around these apparent moves or lack of them.

Some of you have been begging for a power pitcher. Now you got one with 1.2K/IP and just 2.1 walks per 7 innings.
An ERA just under 5. 35 hits, 22 walks, 9 doubles and 5 HRs in just 31 innings.
If I want a new wife, does that mean that a fat ugly one is what I am asking for? Come on.
Based upon history, just another pitching project at best - something we always seem to have plenty of. Why does our Top Ten Team accept these? We are better off with the incoming freshman that everyone is high on.
As Townole says, this is very perplexing.

I mean, this looks like a good pickup. Power pitcher. Lots of eligibility left. So much negativity here.

“FloSoftball recognized her as the No. 4 prospect in the class”

“Royalty became the fastest freshman to strike out 100 batters since Dallas Escobedo, who did it in 2011.”

“Royalty was named to the Pac-12’s All-Freshman Team.”

Last edited:
I mean, this looks like a good pickup. Power pitcher. Lots of eligibility left. So much negativity here.

“FloSoftball recognized her as the No. 4 prospect in the class”

“Royalty became the fastest freshman to strike out 100 batters since Dallas Escobedo, who did it in 2011.”

“Royalty was named to the Pac-12’s All-Freshman Team.”
Like always I am a wait and see person. If we take her I am sure Coacha thinks she can contribute.

Haley Lee from A&M is in the portal. Big masher we could use and play in the infield if we have a chance. Saw BB entered the portal as well for us, any word on why that didn’t work out? Maybe Weisbrook coming in is the real deal?

Haley Lee from A&M is in the portal. Big masher we could use and play in the infield if we have a chance. Saw BB entered the portal as well for us, any word on why that didn’t work out? Maybe Weisbrook coming in is the real deal?
Say What? BB in the portal? This would signal some major problem in my mind. Weisbrook is good (but not rated as high as BB was coming in) but she would have to earn a job like everyone else. I said earlier that we wasted a year of BB eligibility. She could have (and in my mind should have) played more. This would be a loss like the Herzog one- at least Herzog had a good reason. If BB goes we truly have issues I was not aware of.

Can't like Brooke entering the portal. She was ranked 5th coming to FSU and Weisbrook is ranked 50th by the same service coming. Brooke did not have the ESPN Top 10 plays at SS this year but she played very well defensively and made ALL of the routine plays. She earned the starting SS job opening day and I had high hopes - but her bat never measured up and pretty soon Muffley regained the position. I would say thus far, FSU is losing to the transfer portal. GEEZ!

People on the softball board seem to think she’s pretty good:

“Think she was hampered by injury a lot this year but she was phenomenal her freshman season and was the top pitcher in her class coming out of high school.”

“Another huge blow for Trisha Ford and A&M.”
Phenomenal? 3.20 era and an 11-6 record is not phenomenal in my book! You and I have different standards of phenomenal. Heck, even Kilfoyl with a low2 ERA would not be phenomenal in my book.

Phenomenal? 3.20 era and an 11-6 record is not phenomenal in my book! You and I have different standards of phenomenal. Heck, even Kilfoyl with a low2 ERA would not be phenomenal in my book.
As a true freshman.

How many games did you watch her pitch? You might be biased because you’ve had opportunities to see Kilfoyl pitch, but only have numbers to cement your perceptions of the ASU player.

Also, phenomenal is not my word. I quoted a post from UCS.

Last edited:
So I read a lot of posts about "rankings", and see posters get caught up in the ranking number. Just to clarify the rankings most frequently referenced on here (Extra Innings) are rankings which are generated (predominantly) based on one person's opinion (Brentt Eads) with input from travel ball coaches (who are of course biased), nothing more and nothing less. This isn't a knock on Mr. Eads but I certainly trust the opinions of our coaches much more than the opinion of Mr. Eads and travel coaches with an agenda. In short, the rankings do get some players right but they also include a lot of kids who are misses, and don't include a lot of kids who are really good. ( I may not recall this correctly but I don't think you will find Mudge on the 2019 Top 100 and Mudge has obviously turned into a phenomenal player.)

Last edited:
So I read a lot of posts about "rankings", and see posters get caught up in the ranking number. Just to clarify the rankings most frequently referenced on here (Extra Innings) are rankings which are generated (predominantly) based on one person's opinion (Brentt Eads) with input from travel ball coaches (who are of course biased), nothing more and nothing less. This isn't a knock on Mr. Eads but I certainly trust the opinions of our coaches much more than the opinion of Mr. Eads and travel coaches with an agenda. In short, the rankings do get some players right but they also include a lot of kids who are misses, and don't include a lot of kids who are really good. ( I may not recall this correctly but I don't think you will find Mudge on the 2019 Top 100 and Mudge has obviously turned into a phenomenal player.)
All of them are biased. EI is usually word of mouth type. Max Preps goes almost exclusively on stats (no matter what level or who they played), Flosoftball is almost a SEC shill. So they all have biases but if a player is ranked by most all of them you can bet they are pretty good.

I do too for the most part.
As an earlier post of mine outlined. Coacha's recruiting of pitchers has been horrible for HS recruits the last 3 years (immediately after Sandercock and Herzog). Her transfer portal pitchers have been Pretty good, but not great or dominant.
She has earned the right to be questioned. When a third year player with a decent 1st year of 3.20 ERA is apparently a take, but Kilfoyl with a 2.ish ERA proven against the SEC is not!
I love coacha, but I will not turn a blind eye to weaknesses.
No one will be happier than me if she turns out to be a great pitcher.

I do too for the most part.
As an earlier post of mine outlined. Coacha's recruiting of pitchers has been horrible for HS recruits the last 3 years (immediately after Sandercock and Herzog). Her transfer portal pitchers have been Pretty good, but not great or dominant.
She has earned the right to be questioned. When a third year player with a decent 1st year of 3.20 ERA is apparently a take, but Kilfoyl with a 2.ish ERA proven against the SEC is not!
I love coacha, but I will not turn a blind eye to weaknesses.
No one will be happier than me if she turns out to be a great pitcher.
How do you know the coaches did not pursue Kilfoyl?

How do you know the coaches did not pursue Kilfoyl?
I don't know! Do you.
TOS recruiting guy once said we pursued the Michigan Pitcher and ASU pitcher both AAs, but OU got the visit first and the commitments.
That is more than I got from here. He didn't know of anyone we were pursuing at that time (11 days ago).

I've looked into Royalty and she looks to have potential. How good? How soon?
I think she definitely jumps ahead of Wilson, but I have no idea as to how good
DuBois is going to be.
Any of you have any insight into DuBois at this level?

I've looked into Royalty and she looks to have potential. How good? How soon?
I think she definitely jumps ahead of Wilson, but I have no idea as to how good
DuBois is going to be.
Any of you have any insight into DuBois at this level?
Like you I can read stats- but until DuBois competes at our level of competition I am Leary. Royalty has skills and may be a real find (if she is in fact coming and this is not just urban legend) -- if we can develop her to our level. Over the next few years we have good (top 5-10) talent coming in (if they stick and sign- not a sure thing these days) from HS ranks. I say again - the next few months will define our program for the next 3-4 years.

Unfortunately, the information train coming out of the softball complex is practically non-existent. There needs to be/must be better communications filtered to the fans. It frustates the hell out of me having to find stuff out secondhand, and nobody knows for sure what is true and what isn't when they get it.

"I love coacha, but I will not turn a blind eye to weaknesses." This post by Tom81 has real meaning. What will it take to have some real changes made?

ADVERTISEMENT