ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Softball

So LIndsay Lopez a pitcher from ASU with a 2.12 ERA over 112 innings goes to UW.
Royalty may end up being fine, but in terms of innings and ERA she was 4th on the ASU staff
at 4.86 over 31.2 innings.
She may have battled injuries, but her freshman year was 11-6 with a 3.20 ERA. :(
We need a 2nd pitcher in the ballpark of KJH or Sandercock!
The only way to beat OU will be to have at least 2 Sandercocks, both on their game!
It appears our (many fans) perception of our needs and wants is either not shared by our coaching staff or they could not acquire it. Either way it seems like we are close to done (maybe in more ways than one). I know (at least from my count) we have tentatively lost about 9 players (this is not counting LO who I can not see making it back in any meaningful way after apparent back surgery but does count BB leaving) and have added 4 HS recruits and 1 transfer. Time will tell.

Reactions: FletchCC
Just wondering - On the typical coaching staff of a team playing every year to reach the College World Series, how are recruiting duties handled? I take it that on FSU, TWill is our primary recruiter with Coacha being diverted in a number of different directions. TCam was brought in with not softball experience and no softball connections, so does that put us behind other championship teams in terms of recruiting. I know in football, it’s always made a big deal of how many good recruiters and assistants we have on staff with recruiting connections.

Just wondering - On the typical coaching staff of a team playing every year to reach the College World Series, how are recruiting duties handled? I take it that on FSU, TWill is our primary recruiter with Coacha being diverted in a number of different directions. TCam was brought in with not softball experience and no softball connections, so does that put us behind other championship teams in terms of recruiting. I know in football, it’s always made a big deal of how many good recruiters and assistants we have on staff with recruiting connections.
Our Coach does most of the recruiting. It starts in summer camps for the under 14's, Under 16's etc. I believe the others mainly do the grunt work (follow up on academics, visits, etc.) . The last couple of years with the Canadian connections they have seen lots more live play on players who might be available later ( I believe the World Games are starting and Coacha is involved with that -- July 7-17) . AS I have said numerus times this year between now and Mid November is a critical point in our future. August will be the month we can offer the 24's and November is NSD Month. We will see who we get to commit out of the 24's (a real good group that we seem to be active with) and who we sign in November. That group (the 23's) is looking like a great group-- I really like them all.

Last edited:
Reactions: ranger43
Is there evidence that CoachA pursues recruits in high school and the portal as vigorously as say, the Oklahoma coach does?

AS I have said numerus times this year between now and Mid November is a critical point in our future. August will be the month we can offer the 24's and November is NSD Month. We will see who we get to commit out of the 24's (a real good group that we seem to be active with) and who we sign in November. That group (the 23's) is looking like a great group-- I really like them all.
Could you give us a list of the commitments and their pos/rankings for the 23 class?

Is there evidence that CoachA pursues recruits in high school and the portal as vigorously as say, the Oklahoma coach does?
Evidence to me means success. We are doing way better in HS recruits lately . Not sure we are as committed to Portal. Portal is like used car sales in my mind --more of an auction.

Reactions: ParooKid
Could you give us a list of the commitments and their pos/rankings for the 23 class?
I sure don't want to jinx us but here is what I have seen. This is a quick rundown- all of them have major accomplishments not included here.

Ashlyn Danley RHP--Top Honors/Accomplishments: The 5-foot-6 junior left-handed pitcher and center fielder led the Hornets (25-7) to the Class A state championship game this past season. Danley posted a 20-4 record with a 0.41 ERA, striking out 217 batters in 154.2 innings pitched. She also batted .659 with 15 home runs and 45 RBI, amassing an OPS of 2.114. A National Fastpitch Coaches Association Second Team All-American, Danley was named District MVP and is an All-State honoree. She was also MVP of the PGF Futures All-American Game and is ranked as the nation’s No. 7 prospect in the Class of 2023 by Extra Inning Softball. Tenn. Gatorade player of the year.

Angelee Bueno 3B/1B---Top Honors/Accomplishments: Bueno, a Class of 2023 Florida State commit, is a clutch power hitter who produced a .446 batting average with 33 RBIs and nine home runs last summer. Number 10 ranked player of the year

Kennedy Harp OF--Top Honors/Accomplishments: Kennedy Harp, a 5' 11" LF, CF in the 2023 Class from Mojo ,ranked in the top 20 and has major pop. Is a Harding look alike.

Jaysoni Beachum 3B--Top Honors/Accomplishments:
3B/C Jaysoni Beachum, #12 in the 2023 Extra Elite 100, is one of the top power hitters in the country. Beachum blew up for Houston Academy High of Dothan, Alabama, belting 80 home runs during the Kasey Cooper Home Run Derby at the Dothan Diamond Classic this spring before event organizers said “No mas.”

I absolutely think they all will be major contributors. They are top talent at their position. JMHO

Some of yall would complain if a genie dropped five million dollars in your lap. Enjoy what we have now. I remember Fsu football in the 90s and not realizing eventually greatness ends. This is FSU softballs dynasty years, embrace them. Go Noles!

Some of yall would complain if a genie dropped five million dollars in your lap. Enjoy what we have now. I remember Fsu football in the 90s and not realizing eventually greatness ends. This is FSU softballs dynasty years, embrace them. Go Noles!
Some of us realize you win more races with a Ferrari than a Yugo :)

Reactions: cnole1 and FletchCC
Thank you. The coaches have a significant track record of success. There is talent on the team and talent coming in. The rankings, high school, and travel ball statistics/successes play no role on who is out on the field come February. Players have to come in, work, adjust, work, adjust, and then perform. Simple formula.

I don't consider pointing out the few areas of concern on the team complaining.

Thank you. The coaches have a significant track record of success. There is talent on the team and talent coming in. The rankings, high school, and travel ball statistics/successes play no role on who is out on the field come February. Players have to come in, work, adjust, work, adjust, and then perform. Simple formula.
Concur

I wonder if the new Baseball Coach's wife (Ristano) who has coached at Notre dame for 16-17 years is going to help out Coacha??

Per Nee, nothing like that is planned. I don’t think FSU has any spots. And doubtful she’d be interested in working as a volunteer assistant.
Hate to see that kind of coaching resource go to waste right here on our campus.

Not sure where we really could have used her this year tho tbh.
She could have played short or 3rd. (But so could Muffley). She could have also played OF- we are majorly short out there now.

She could have played short or 3rd. (But so could Muffley). She could have also played OF- we are majorly short out there now.
I guess we could have replaced Harding out there but I’m not sure how you justify replacing Syd anywhere else and then not playing a more sound Muffley (at the time, not saying she wouldn’t be better later.)

the fact she’s leaving knowing Syd is gone and the hot corner is up for grabs tells me it might have just not been a good fit all around

I guess we could have replaced Harding out there but I’m not sure how you justify replacing Syd anywhere else and then not playing a more sound Muffley (at the time, not saying she wouldn’t be better later.)

the fact she’s leaving knowing Syd is gone and the hot corner is up for grabs tells me it might have just not been a good fit all around
Personally I think she viewed her usage last year and concluded it was a wasted year and just decided not to chance a repetition of that. I absolutely think she was not afraid of competition- Most players in her talent level know they are good but absolutely want a chance to prove it. JMHO

I think it's safe to say she just wants to be an every day shortstop. Nothing wrong with that. She isn't better than Muffley right now, and we're going to be fine up the middle.

I was hoping she would slide to 3B. Oh well. Wish her the best.

Reactions: NoleFreak85
I hate to see BB go. I had such high hopes at the start of the season when she beat out Josie to start. She was never the ss to make spectacular Sportscaster Top 10 plays. But she was more than steady at ss. She made 1 less error than Josie, but in the end, Josie played a lot more. Unfortunately, BB's bat let her down and it never came back. Unfortunately, none of our batting instructors were able to turn her around. You know what you will get with Josie this year. She will once again bat in the low 200"s and make the spectacular plays and miss the occasion easy ones. Good luck to BB. We wish you well.

I couldn't have said it better myself. If only her bat had come around.

For her sake, I hope so and wish her well. But if it does, I will question why it didn't click with our batting instructors while she was here.

For her sake, I hope so and wish her well. But if it does, I will question why it didn't click with our batting instructors while she was here.
I think she played every day in the FGCL and was doing fine. I do think she felt she needed to play to get better . Good luck to her.

Reactions: ranger43
Crazy she didn’t end up with any of the other schools that were recruiting her. Instead ends up at USCe. Is she avoiding competition?!?

ADVERTISEMENT