ADVERTISEMENT

Woodward and Tennessee St intersection

I lived in Cash for part of the 198e-84 school year. My frat house had burned down right before the school year started; since it was school-owned they had to put us up and it was then only thing available.
It was fun. Both the mens and women's hoops teams lived there; got to be friends with a bunch of them.

I lived in Cash for part of the 198e-84 school year. My frat house had burned down right before the school year started; since it was school-owned they had to put us up and it was then only thing available.
It was fun. Both the mens and women's hoops teams lived there; got to be friends with a bunch of them.
Were you an ATO?

I lived in some apartments on West Brevard behind the president's house. I just looked it up on Google Earth. The places there now are much nicer than when I was there over 40 years ago.
I believe my brother got a visit from the police for launching water balloons into those apartments from his apartment at Cash Hall. Used those giant sling shot launchers. One might have been frozen...

Reactions: seminoleed
I believe my brother got a visit from the police for launching water balloons into those apartments from his apartment at Cash Hall. Used those giant sling shot launchers. One might have been frozen...
I'm not saying he didn't but from where I remember Cash Hall being, that would've been a quarter mile balloon launch.

I'm not saying he didn't but from where I remember Cash Hall being, that would've been a quarter mile balloon launch.
Must have been different apartments. There was a set directly behind the apartments Cash Hall ran behind the dorm. Maybe Cash didn't own those in the olden days when you went there..

Were you an ATO?
Yes, back in the days when us, KA, and SAE were across Tennessee from the business school. I believe the house there was significantly damaged by fire 3 different times. The one while I was there was started by 3 drunk KAs celebrating the end of the summer semester. They broke into the ATO house, trashed the kitchen, and as they were leaving one tossed a pack of firecrackers into the living room through an open window. A curtain caught fire and burned down the public area of the house. They returned to the KA house, squirting ketchup and mustard at each other. The cops followed the condiment trail across the street & to the room where one was passed out.

• Wow
Reactions: bcherod
Yes, back in the days when us, KA, and SAE were across Tennessee from the business school. I believe the house there was significantly damaged by fire 3 different times. The one while I was there was started by 3 drunk KAs celebrating the end of the summer semester. They broke into the ATO house, trashed the kitchen, and as they were leaving one tossed a pack of firecrackers into the living room through an open window. A curtain caught fire and burned down the public area of the house. They returned to the KA house, squirting ketchup and mustard at each other. The cops followed the condiment trail across the street & to the room where one was passed out.
My younger brother was also an ATO at FSU.
He always talked about the KA boys regretting what they did since Florida Attorney General at the time was also an FSU ATO. Ruh Roh. 😂

What year was this?

What year was this?

The fire when I was there was late summer 1983 (right after finals for the summer session). A few guys were still there, fortunately nobody was hurt. Right around that time, The Talking Heads released a new album, with the first single from it being "Burning Down the House." It got played A LOT at our parties that year, which were mostly held outdoors on the lawn next to the remains of the house.
They had another major fire 20ish years ago that resulted in a total demo of the house & the fraternity relocating to the other side of campus.

Reactions: ChiefWB
My younger brother was also an ATO at FSU.
He always talked about the KA boys regretting what they did since Florida Attorney General at the time was also an FSU ATO. Ruh Roh. 😂

I always felt bad for those guys; think they all got kicked out of school, with a couple of them pretty close to graduation. I could easily see any of my friends - or myself - doing something dumb like that after a late night at the Phyrst. We regularly had prank wars with the KAs and SAEs.
About once a year we'd end up having a big, three-way egg war, launching at the other houses. If you remember the layout, there was a narrow road that wound from Tennessee St to West Virginia St, between the houses (the road's still there, the land where the houses were is now all parking lot). During one of the wars, an FSU cop came through, stops in between the houses, and starts lecturing everyone over his loudspeaker to "CEASE THE EGG-THROWING NOW!!!" It stopped - for about 5 seconds. Then a random egg came flying in from an unidentified location, landing perfectly on the hood of the cop car. Immediately, there was a deluge of eggs raining down on him, prompting him to haul ass out of there & not return.:)

The fire when I was there was late summer 1983 (right after finals for the summer session). A few guys were still there, fortunately nobody was hurt. Right around that time, The Talking Heads released a new album, with the first single from it being "Burning Down the House." It got played A LOT at our parties that year, which were mostly held outdoors on the lawn next to the remains of the house.
They had another major fire 20ish years ago that resulted in a total demo of the house & the fraternity relocating to the other side of campus.
That 99 fire was during my daughter’s freshman year and her roommate was dating an ATO. It was probably a blessing it burned down.

Follow the condiment trail 🤣

I was a senior in high school in 1979 and one of my good friends girlfriends was a freshman at FSU at Cash Hall. We went up for the weekend and stayed there. That dorm was something. Swimming pool. Bar.... Went out to Big dismal nice party going on out there and jumping off the trees. It's too bad big dismal has been shut down the public traffic. That one tree on the cliff it was about a 70 ft jump into the sinkhole. I heard some guy jumped off the branch and landed on a huge dead tree that had been floating there a long time as I recall.

Reactions: fsufool
I remember hearing stories as an active KA in the late 80's, early 90's. I wondered about the timing because our relationship with ATO was great. Now ATO and SAE in that time period, YIKES! It was like the Hatfields and McCoys.

I remember hearing stories as an active KA in the late 80's, early 90's. I wondered about the timing because our relationship with ATO was great. Now ATO and SAE in that time period, YIKES! It was like the Hatfields and McCoys.
Yep. I was a KA there in 1977 - 1979 so knew the guys involved in the fire. The enmity with the SAEs went back much further. I had an uncle that was a KA in the late 50s. He and some others rented an excavator over Christmas one year and "stole" the lion leaving nothing but a big hole and a pile of dirt behind. Took the SAEs several weeks to realize the lion was still there buried under the dirt. Heh!

Yep. I was a KA there in 1977 - 1979 so knew the guys involved in the fire. The enmity with the SAEs went back much further. I had an uncle that was a KA in the late 50s. He and some others rented an excavator over Christmas one year and "stole" the lion leaving nothing but a big hole and a pile of dirt behind. Took the SAEs several weeks to realize the lion was still there buried under the dirt. Heh!

Very late one rum-filled night, a buddy & I got the bright idea to steal the cannon that was mounted on the base of the flagpole at the KA house. Went over with some wrenches & a tire iron. It happened that the bolts were essentially lug nuts, so it was a perfect tool - except that they were very, very rusted & virtually impossible to turn. We were there for at least an hour before we eventually realized that they were so rusted that the bolts were rusted away & the damn thing was just sitting on top of the concrete base & that all we had to do was pick it up & carry it back to the ATO house.
In my college scrapbook I have a nice photo of my buddy & I with the cannon sitting on the ATO bar. Our President was pissed, everyone else (including all of the KAs that I knew) thought it was hilarious.

Very late one rum-filled night, a buddy & I got the bright idea to steal the cannon that was mounted on the base of the flagpole at the KA house. Went over with some wrenches & a tire iron. It happened that the bolts were essentially lug nuts, so it was a perfect tool - except that they were very, very rusted & virtually impossible to turn. We were there for at least an hour before we eventually realized that they were so rusted that the bolts were rusted away & the damn thing was just sitting on top of the concrete base & that all we had to do was pick it up & carry it back to the ATO house.
In my college scrapbook I have a nice photo of my buddy & I with the cannon sitting on the ATO bar. Our President was pissed, everyone else (including all of the KAs that I knew) thought it was hilarious.
The cannon was a perfect fit for pool cue balls. With the right charge, they could reach the business school building across Tennessee Street.

That's a solid theory. We were on double secret probation for the two years before I joined due to some indiscretions with some muckety muck's daughter.

That's a solid theory. We were on double secret probation for the two years before I joined due to some indiscretions with some muckety muck's daughter.
The amount of weed smoked in that house when I was there? Double secret probation at the very least. 🤡

The amount of weed smoked in that house when I was there? Double secret probation at the very least. 🤡

One night at the end of finals week, I was rather lit, sitting in the house living room watching Trading Places for the 7000th time. Hear a knock on the front door, go answer, and it is an FSU cop. He introduces himself & launches into several minutes of reading some State statute as I blankly stare at him. Finally, he says "in simple terms, I am hear about the Stop sign that I can see through the window, hanging in the stairwell at the back of the house (omeone had swiped it & as they were moving out hung it on a nail there). He continues, "this building is University-owned, so if I choose to do so I have access to all common areas of the building. I can come in and get it, but if I do anything else I come across could get any of you arrested. Or you can go retrieve it and bring it to me."
I was well aware that upstairs everyone was burning through whatever stash they had left, and he would require a gas mask to not get a massive contact high, so pretty quickly slurred to him "wait here, I'll be right back with it."

Follow the condiment trail 🤣

I was a senior in high school in 1979 and one of my good friends girlfriends was a freshman at FSU at Cash Hall. We went up for the weekend and stayed there. That dorm was something. Swimming pool. Bar.... Went out to Big dismal nice party going on out there and jumping off the trees. It's too bad big dismal has been shut down the public traffic. That one tree on the cliff it was about a 70 ft jump into the sinkhole. I heard some guy jumped off the branch and landed on a huge dead tree that had been floating there a long time as I recall.
You may be thinking of Mike Shuman. Leon High, FSU and San Fran 49’er wide receiver.
Me and buddies made that dive/jump many times.

Reactions: goldmom
That was at Cherokee sinkhole.........around 1974 or so. But my memory is a little fuzzy on the year.
Maybe so, I always heard that is was at the Diz. Truth is, if he landed on a log from Diz height, he could have been a goner.
I think he red shirted a year due to the injury.

Maybe so, I always heard that is was at the Diz. Truth is, if he landed on a log from Diz height, he could have been a goner.
I think he red shirted a year due to the injury.
I heard the reason they closed big dismal is because of that injury which would have been after 1984. But they probably closed it due to the massive parties that went on out there every weekend. It was a blast. No matter where you were it was at least a 30-foot drop to jump into the sinkhole.

They've since gotten rid of the 10 m board at wakulla springs also. That was our main hangout the summer I spent in Tallahassee because it was so damn hot in tallahassee.

I've also heard the water and wakulla which used to be crystal clear is now cloudy due to groundwater getting into the aquifer from all the construction coming south of Tallahassee

One night at the end of finals week, I was rather lit, sitting in the house living room watching Trading Places for the 7000th time. Hear a knock on the front door, go answer, and it is an FSU cop. He introduces himself & launches into several minutes of reading some State statute as I blankly stare at him. Finally, he says "in simple terms, I am hear about the Stop sign that I can see through the window, hanging in the stairwell at the back of the house (omeone had swiped it & as they were moving out hung it on a nail there). He continues, "this building is University-owned, so if I choose to do so I have access to all common areas of the building. I can come in and get it, but if I do anything else I come across could get any of you arrested. Or you can go retrieve it and bring it to me."
I was well aware that upstairs everyone was burning through whatever stash they had left, and he would require a gas mask to not get a massive contact high, so pretty quickly slurred to him "wait here, I'll be right back with it."
That reminds me of a story one night in my fraternity house. I was in my room about midnight maybe later. And the knock on my door. I open the door and there's two police officers standing at my door. And they said do you know this guy?

And there's Mr casual drunk off his ass yelling "Surfnole!".

The police had pulled him over for drunk driving and back then the police would give you a ride home.... Sometimes.

Reactions: billanole
I heard the reason they closed big dismal is because of that injury which would have been after 1984. But they probably closed it due to the massive parties that went on out there every weekend. It was a blast. No matter where you were it was at least a 30-foot drop to jump into the sinkhole.

They've since gotten rid of the 10 m board at wakulla springs also. That was our main hangout the summer I spent in Tallahassee because it was so damn hot in tallahassee.

I've also heard the water and wakulla which used to be crystal clear is now cloudy due to groundwater getting into the aquifer from all the construction coming south of Tallahassee
Shumann missed the 1976 year at FSU due to his injury. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Shumann

I had moved away from Tally before Big Dismal became part of the Leon Sinks Geological area. I had always assumed the landowner and the state struck a deal. That was possibly St. Joe Paper property… https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/florida/recarea/?recid=83619
Maybe that was for the best, as people were always trashing the sinkholes. Spending the day going from sink to sink was always a blast. We would sometimes stop for all you can eat fried chicken at Tuckers just south of the Fairgrounds.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT