ADVERTISEMENT

World Cup thread

One thing is for sure. When I retired back in June, I looked forward to watching all the WC games without having to sneak a peek at a phone or laptop.

However, this 5:00 a.m 1st game is going to wear me down after a while, though if all the games are like today's, I'll cope somehow. 😉

So much for Ecuador's "steel trap" defense I had referred to earlier in the thread. Apparently they hadn't faced the likes of the Netherlands in their lead up to the World Cup.

In the space of 4 days, the US has advanced to the Round of 16, and we beat the Stinkin' Gators.

I am living in Hog Heaven right now.
US has a manageable match with the Netherlands coming up. Win and you might get to face Argentina.

Reactions: seminoleed
I'm just thrilled that they survived the USSA's boneheaded attempt to make the match all political. You'd think after the Women's WC became all about politics and the "look at me" antics, and the resulting decrease in interest in their games, would have taught them something.

I'm just thrilled that they survived the USSA's boneheaded attempt to make the match all political. You'd think after the Women's WC became all about politics and the "look at me" antics, and the resulting decrease in interest in their games, would have taught them something.
They never learn... They only double down.

Ok, I need a little help understanding the points and position within the group. The US was in second with 5 points. How does 2 draws get you 5 points? Iran was in third with 3 points. How would Iran have won with a draw with the US when they were behind in points to begin with?

Ok, I need a little help understanding the points and position within the group. The US was in second with 5 points. How does 2 draws get you 5 points? Iran was in third with 3 points. How would Iran have won with a draw with the US when they were behind in points to begin with?
A win is 3 points and a draw nets 1.

I think most media (aside from FOX) tried to make the entire event political. After the first matches that all seemed to go away thankfully. There's no room in sports for that.

Before the match the US had 2 points (2 draws) and Iran had 3 points (1 win). Had Iran won they would have had 6 points and the US 2, since the US won they got 3 points and Iran got 0. No points for a loss unlike in SEC football.

• Haha
As though anyone needed further proof that I'm older than dirt, I was in high school the last time Poland advanced from the group stage in '86. The TV announcers just chirped that no one on the current Polish squad had been born yet. 👴

Before the match the US had 2 points (2 draws) and Iran had 3 points (1 win). Had Iran won they would have had 6 points and the US 2, since the US won they got 3 points and Iran got 0. No points for a loss unlike in SEC football.
Ok thank you! I thought I saw a group ranking before the match that had the US in second with 5 points and Iran in third with 3. That's why I was confused.

As though anyone needed further proof that I'm older than dirt, I was in high school the last time Poland advanced from the group stage in '86. The TV announcers just chirped that no one on the current Polish squad had been born yet. 👴
Its not that old. I was in Spain during that World Cup. Fans were crazy even without widespread tv coverage. Some bars would play the games on the radio.

I was happy to see Mexico sent home, but it would have been far more appropriate
if they'd gone out due to the Fair Play rules. Central American teams are by far
the dirtiest and cheapest national teams around.

I was happy to see Mexico sent home, but it would have been far more appropriate
if they'd gone out due to the Fair Play rules. Central American teams are by far
This only serves to make the USMNT tougher...along with the fact that we never really have home field advantage against Mexico.

They were only 2 points from Poland on fair play points and both teams picked up a yellow yesterday. Saudi Arabia had 6 yellow cards in one game.

The drama during round 3 of all of these groups has been outrageous! 😰

SERIOUSLY! 9ist minute for S. Korea. I love it.
Uruguay's coach has to regret pulling Suarez at the 66' mark. They could have really used him in trying to get one more goal. (He's kind of a jerk, but I feel bad for him that his WC career ended that way!)

The U.S. is still not quite ready for prime time. 😟

Will we ever get there??

Will we ever get there??

Probably not; the best young athletes gravitate to baseball, basketball and football as that's what they see more of and what gets the most publicity. And, Americans are simply too wrapped up in instant gratification--soccer doesn't provide enough scoring for that.

• Sad
Reactions: NoleLizards

Will we ever get there??
One of the youngest rosters in the World Cup. All our stars will still be playing in 4 years. We had a couple 20-22 year olds that are going to be dramatically better in 4 years, while our best players have barely reached their prime years.
Example: Wales striker was 33 years old; Englands' was 29; Netherlands' was 28. Our best striker is 20 years old.

Last edited:
Reactions: bcherod
One of the youngest rosters in the World Cup. All our stars will still be playing in 4 years. We had a couple 20-22 year olds that are going to be dramatically better in 4 years, while our best players have barely reached their prime years.
They need to learn to play as a team better and attack as a unit. Also they need to generate more goals obviously. A big issue is the full understanding of the game. Other countries understand this like we understand American football. The US wont improve playing Mexico, Costa Rica and Canada all the time. They need to have a steady dose of European teams, Argentina and Brazil for 4 years. Yes they will lose most of them but they will get better.

Reactions: fsufool
Probably not; the best young athletes gravitate to baseball, basketball and football as that's what they see more of and what gets the most publicity. And, Americans are simply too wrapped up in instant gratification--soccer doesn't provide enough scoring for that.
How most Americans view futbol:

ADVERTISEMENT