ADVERTISEMENT

World Cup thread

Spain in a dogfight with Morocco. That's what they get for tanking against Japan and trying to take the easy way out.

Reactions: NoleLizards
Seriously though they did look good against S Korea. Brazils tournament always begins in the quarterfinals where they face the tough teams. It will be interesting to see them match up with France or Portugal.

I hate PK's... It's an awful way to decide a match, especially one as important as a WC game. It's unfortunate, but they can't play forever.

Reactions: seminoleed
I hate PK's... It's an awful way to decide a match, especially one as important as a WC game. It's unfortunate, but they can't play forever.
I actually like it. I would like to see two legged ties though in the knockouts except the final.

Just told my ol' lady THAT'S what the U.S is missing... From a talent standpoint we're at least as good as Morocco, but we just lack the passion to play like our lives depend on it.

That was France wasnt it?
France colonized Algeria... Actually annexed it, in fact.

Just did a quick Google search... Spain was in Morocco first and then ceded it to France. If Morocco can pull off another upset in the quarters, they may get their shot at France as well.

Last edited:
Playing with joy and flair while scoring a bunch of goals.
They always have fun, whatever sport they're playing. There is nothing like a futebol match in Brazil, a major one, like the Rio teams, and some of the big rivals.

There's no traffic on major roads because everyone is somewhere, watching the match.

France colonized Algeria... Actually annexed it, in fact.

Just did a quick Google search... Spain was in Morocco first and then ceded it to France.

So Spain controlled areas along the Moroccan coast since the 1500s. According to this article, I was incorrect in saying Spain ceded the areas they controlled to France, however. My bad.

So Spain controlled areas along the Moroccan coast since the 1500s. According to this article, I was incorrect in saying Spain ceded the areas they controlled to France, however. My bad.
I think Spain actually still controls a few of those areas in the north and a few of the islands on the Atlantic coast. Spain does have a big influence farther south in Western Sahara which is how they got the Canary Islands.

I think Spain actually still controls a few of those areas in the north and a few of the islands on the Atlantic coast. Spain does have a big influence farther south in Western Sahara which is how they got the Canary Islands.
In Spain's defense, the Moors occupied it first.

History aside, Morocco got the last laugh today (at least for now).

There was an area that was referred to Spanish Morocco at one time, but Algiers and Morocco both spoke French. (Friends grandparents were from there, and they immigrated to France)

Very very interesting... Ronaldo's on the bench.
I think weve seen the last of him in any major role. I would say utilize him in a reserve role much like Germany did with Klose in 2014 but I doubt Ronaldo will go along with that. Wouldn't be surprised if he's gone after this match.

I think weve seen the last of him in any major role. I would say utilize him in a reserve role much like Germany did with Klose in 2014 but I doubt Ronaldo will go along with that. Wouldn't be surprised if he's gone after this match.
They seem to be playing better without him anyway... Just like they did in winning Euro '16 when he was injured.

Appears that Switzerland didn't have much left in the tank for today after expending so much emotional energy against Serbia.

Portugal is pretty good and they can have a better team dynamic now that the Diva has been dealt with.
Years ago, Brazil had their own Ronaldo. I never liked when Portugal's Ronaldo became THE Ronaldo. Also, he really has the diva qualities.

Years ago, Brazil had their own Ronaldo. I never liked when Portugal's Ronaldo became THE Ronaldo. Also, he really has the diva qualities.
They have Neymar now who is quite the diva as well although he does more on the pitch then just stand in front of goal. The thing is that he's as fragile as crepe paper and teams know this so he draws a lot of fouls and is injured a lot. It will be interesting to see how Croatia approaches the match. I would expect some hard fouls on him early.

Reactions: bcherod
Regarding the sport in the U.S., i got to thinking (always a bad idea, I know), but maybe the problem is this:

People who watch sports like to be able to get up and go the john, fetch a beer, what have you, and wait for the TV breaks, both in person or at home. Since there are none until halftime in soccer matches, this may discourage people from watching. Just a thought, mind you--never seen this addressed elsewhere.

Regarding the sport in the U.S., i got to thinking (always a bad idea, I know), but maybe the problem is this:

People who watch sports like to be able to get up and go the john, fetch a beer, what have you, and wait for the TV breaks, both in person or at home. Since there are none until halftime in soccer matches, this may discourage people from watching. Just a thought, mind you--never seen this addressed elsewhere.
I'm the opposite. I cant stand the non stop commercial breaks in football games. I don't know how bad it is in other sports as I only watch soccer and college football but, I enjoy watching 45 minutes of action taking a break then 45 more minutes. No reason a 15 minute quarter needs to last an hour and a 60 minute game last 4 hours. Soccer games are 90 minutes and they rarely go over 2 hours. I think its marketing. Broadcasters really don't wat to show them a lot because they cant fill them with 500 commercials and political ads.

I'm the opposite. I cant stand the non stop commercial breaks in football games. I don't know how bad it is in other sports as I only watch soccer and college football but, I enjoy watching 45 minutes of action taking a break then 45 more minutes. No reason a 15 minute quarter needs to last an hour and a 60 minute game last 4 hours. Soccer games are 90 minutes and they rarely go over 2 hours. I think its marketing. Broadcasters really don't wat to show them a lot because they cant fill them with 500 commercials and political ads.
Exactly. Not a profitable as other sports.

I like to watch tennis and lacrosse, in addition to football and soccer. Football has been making me crazy lately with all the commercial breaks.

They have Neymar now who is quite the diva as well although he does more on the pitch then just stand in front of goal. The thing is that he's as fragile as crepe paper and teams know this so he draws a lot of fouls and is injured a lot. It will be interesting to see how Croatia approaches the match. I would expect some hard fouls on him early.
I really liked Luque and Passarella (Argentina), Rivelino, Falcao, Leon, Edinho, Zico, Socrates and the whole 78 Brazilian team. Messi was fun to watch, also.

ADVERTISEMENT