ADVERTISEMENT

Youtube channel?

divinnole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Does anyone here have a youtube channel or familiar at all with how it all works? A big hobby of mine is building aluminum boats. I have not built any in several years but have built around 60 in the past. I am getting ready to retire and I have no intention of just sitting around and watching the days go by. The first boat I am planning on building will be a 28' power catamaran for offshore diving and fishing. A few folks have mentioned I should get a youtube channel and show the process and the build. I know I watch a lot boat builds and such on youtube and really enjoy it. Question is can you make money with one or will it cost more than it is worth?

Does anyone here have a youtube channel or familiar at all with how it all works? A big hobby of mine is building aluminum boats. I have not built any in several years but have built around 60 in the past. I am getting ready to retire and I have no intention of just sitting around and watching the days go by. The first boat I am planning on building will be a 28' power catamaran for offshore diving and fishing. A few folks have mentioned I should get a youtube channel and show the process and the build. I know I watch a lot boat builds and such on youtube and really enjoy it. Question is can you make money with one or will it cost more than it is worth?
I have a private channel that i used for hosting and live streaming my kid’s soccer games years ago. Haven’t used it for that since 2018.

honestly all you need is a decent camera with microphone to get started. You can even use your cell phone. If you really get into it then grab a decent DSLR and an outboard mic.

video editing is where most of your time will be chewed up and be absolutely sure not to use any content that will cause a copyright strike. Google is a real pain in the ass for that.

i suggest (if you haven’t already) watching “this old tony” on YouTube. His craftsmanship is top notch and his presentation different from most. It may fit with what you want to do.

also don't be shy about chasing channels you like that are similar to what you have in mind down. post in the comments links to some of your work. it will help build your subscriber base. so long as you're not obviously spamming, the channel owner will usually be interested too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I am in the process of getting all the stands, gigs and frames together to start the build on my catamaran. I am going to video the different stages of progress and have several segments ready before I actually start the channel.

perfect. also as you're going along you can also post some youtube shorts to help get some traction on your channel before you throw down the full edited video. also try and keep the videos to about 20 mins or less. that's the sweet spot for monetization. there's no harm in a build spanning several videos - it will actually get you more views in most instances.

there's a good mix on content on Colin Furze' channel. his production quality to good but not impeccable but he does a great job of keeping viewers engaged and mixing up his delivery between shorts, single videos and multi-part videos.

if you can't tell i'm a youtube junkie! lol

Reactions: Random_John
I subscribe to at least 15 boating and sailing channels which appears to be a niche market where you'll be lucky to accue big numbers they seem to earn more via from donors through Patreon than YouTube percentages.

focus on the craftsmanship as that can span genres. i've watched a ton of random builds over the years simply because of the quality of the work being done. this old tony is a prime example.

I have a private channel that i used for hosting and live streaming my kid’s soccer games years ago. Haven’t used it for that since 2018.

honestly all you need is a decent camera with microphone to get started. You can even use your cell phone. If you really get into it then grab a decent DSLR and an outboard mic.

video editing is where most of your time will be chewed up and be absolutely sure not to use any content that will cause a copyright strike. Google is a real pain in the ass for that.

i suggest (if you haven’t already) watching “this old tony” on YouTube. His craftsmanship is top notch and his presentation different from most. It may fit with what you want to do.

This. I have made a few videos. Editing takes FOREVER especially if you add sound effects, layered images, etc.

I can film a video in about 1 to 2 hours. Then spend the next 1-2 days, if not longer, editing.

So.... whatcha gonna do with the boat? Are you going to use it or sell it? Or both?

With TIG welding they do but most of the welds on the boat will be done with MIG welding due to the amount of welds to be completed and the thickness of the plate. Those will look very nice too. I will use the TIG process on the more showy welds such the console and framing for the top.

With TIG welding they do but most of the welds on the boat will be done with MIG welding due to the amount of welds to be completed and the thickness of the plate. Those will look very nice too. I will use the TIG process on the more showy welds such the console and framing for the top.
If you get the YT thing going, let us know. I would enjoy seeing the build

Would love to see this in process. Please keep us posted.

I will be sure to post on here when I get it going. I am on the list to get my plates cut with a CNC laser table which I should have delivered about the middle of July.. My goal is to get it started in August. Lots of prep work such as construction of the build frames and jigs. I will probably go ahead and build my fuel and water tanks and maybe the center console and leaning post.

Awesome. Video as much as possible. You can add voice over to the raw footage.

that might be one thing to consider investing in is a decent voice recording jig unless you have a small space with great acoustics you can set up a mic in?

something like this:

Monoprice Microphone Isolation Shield - Black - Foldable with 3/8in Mic Threaded Mount, High Density Absorbing Foam Front and Vented Metal Back Plate
Amazon product ASIN B00GR9W1MS

I need a new tank bad but I have such good capacity with the current one and all new manufactured models are a lot less. Only solution I guess is a custom aluminum tank.

Can't wait to see your videos! Everyone is correct the editing is going to take the most time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT