ADVERTISEMENT

“We’re Number One” a lesson in humility

Noledog92

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Quick story of a lesson I learned many years ago from little league football.

I played on a team that stayed together for three years in a row with the same head coach. He was a disciplinarian but appropriately so for our young ages. If we chewed gum at practice, we had to spit it out and roll on the gum. If we fought, we had to walk the practice field hand in hand with our opponent. We never sat but “took a knee” if tired and if our mommas wouldn’t wash our clothes, coach’s wife would make sure we’d have clean uniforms come game time.

One standing rule coach had was for photos. Under NO circumstance was anybody to hold up a “number one” finger unless we finished the season number one. Back then sticking the number one finger up was all the rage, just like the pros saying “hi mom” to the tv cameras.

Year one we won one game
Year two we went over .500
Year three we were undefeated with only one touchdown scored on us all season! All these years later I remember holding up the number one finger for our team photo!

My point? Swag surfing, masks, all that stuff.....it’s a distraction for this team right now. How about coaching and playing football. That stuff will come in time, when you earn it. And btw I’m not against any of that stuff (except our turnover fanny pack), but that other stuff, at this moment in time, is telling me that we are nowhere near where we need to be with coaching or playing.

Maybe it’s just me?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News