ADVERTISEMENT

1/13 - 10 a.m. Update: Latest on Jalen Hurts and Florida State

Dot Com

Owner and administrator of Warchant.com
Mar 29, 2002
Tallahassee, Florida
warchant.com
Jan. 13 @ 10 a.m.

Going to unpin this post so we don't build up unrealistic expectations with Jalen Hurts. Should things look better for FSU we'll bring it back to the top.

Anyway, the four schools we are hearing the most are Maryland, Miami, Oklahoma and TCU. While there was as short conversation with FSU last week, there just hasn't been any movement in that direction.

--------------

Jan. 10 @ 4:15 p.m.

Wanted the share the latest on Alabama QB Jalen Hurts. The main thing we've heard is that Florida State (assuming Taggart and Briles) had a conversation with him yesterday. I believe this was via telephone but really don't know anything about how the conversation went.

Before you get too excited the vibe we get is that FSU is still running second or third in the Hurts' sweepstakes. The main school we are hearing right now is Maryland followed by Miami and (maybe) FSU. I haven't heard this school mentioned directly but a lot of people are throwing out Oklahoma as one that is near or at the top of his list. But really believe nobody outside of Hurts really knows where he's leaning.

Stay tuned...
--------------

Deondre Francois made the following post on Instagram today.

After thoughtful conversations with God and the people closest to me, I have decided to return to Florida State University. While my dream is play in the NFL, at this time I feel there are areas both within my game and within my life I need to improve upon to succeed at the next level. I don’t take for granted the privilege that is to wear the Garnet and Gold. I love Florida State, my brothers and know I have so much more to offer. I intend to become the leader my teammates need me to be because we have some unfinished business to take care of. I am thankful for and humbled by the support of the Florida State family and the fans who stood by us during this tough season, but I also understand the standard to which this program is held and the work it requires to meet that standard. It’s time to go to work.

5c36724607a1e-francois22.jpg

NOTE: As mentioned earlier, this creates a very awkward situation for the coaching staff. If the chatter is accurate, he needs to stay in school one more semester to get his degree. Considering all indications were that he was ready to leave after the fall semester, you have to think there's a good chance that will still happen but after the spring semester. How do you handle his reps in spring practice knowing there's a decent chance he may not be at FSU past May?

https://floridastate.rivals.com/news/francois-announces-he-s-coming-back-for-one-more-year

--

Jan. 9 @ 2 p.m. - A quick update. A couple suggested that Deondre Francois does not yet have his degree in order to qualify as a "grad transfer". That appears to be the case as we hear he's still an hour or two short. That could be a big reason why he is sticking around this semester.

If that's the case, and he's part of the team this spring, it will create an uncomfortable situation for the coaching staff. Do you have Francois take real reps and let him compete this spring when the odds still seem to favor him transferring out after this semester? Some of this could largely depend on whether FSU is able to get in a grad transfer QB for the spring. If so, and Francois is still in school, I can't see him doing much in practice.

Quick note on Jalen Hurts. He has apparently put his name on the transfer portal, which is a bit odd because I don't believe that's necessary as a grad transfer. Anyway, as we mentioned probably a month ago, Florida State does have interest in the Alabama QB, and there seems to be a least some interest on his part. That being said, I haven't heard anything that makes me feel great about FSU's chances, but also nothing that makes me feel there's no legitimate shot (unlike Justin Fields where there really was no chance despite reports to the contrary).

The one recent nugget I did hear that was interesting even though FSU fans may not like it - Hurts is apparently very interested in Miami. That surprised me but maybe there's an assistant coming in that he has a relationship with.

We will keep you up to date on the quarterback situation, and any news assistant coach changes, when we have more.

--------------

Wanted to give the latest on what we are hearing on quarterback Deondre Francois. There are some confusing reports out there about his current status with Florida State.

Here's what we know: Francois is enrolled for the spring semester and currently taking part in team activities. However, that does not necessarily mean he's staying on the team. All this means is that he's keeping his options open. He could still transfer now or after the spring, or he could declare for the NFL anytime before Jan. 14.

To catch you up, there have been strong indications that he was leaving the program for nearly two months now. Tennessee was the team most mentioned early on but we've heard there wasn't much interest coming from Knoxville. Last month a state newspaper reported that he "will not" return to FSU, but Francois responded to that via Twitter calling it "fake news" and "spreading rumors".

Ira Schoffel addressed this situation last month: FSU QB situation update: Francois 'weighing his options’ about future. Really, not much has changed since then. When we hear something definitive on his status we'll let you know. Stay tuned....

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News