ADVERTISEMENT

19 Years Old

CC0492

Seminole Insider
Apr 1, 2002

In world war two the average age of the combat soldier was 26
In Vietnam he was 19. Inininininin Vietnam he was 19.

Reactions: BelemNole
1940 population in US of 130 million. When you put about 14 million people in uniforms you flat run out of 19 year olds...

JkLHzvZ.jpg

1940 population in US of 130 million. When you put about 14 million people in uniforms you flat run out of 19 year olds...

JkLHzvZ.jpg

Germans did run out of men of fighting age. That photo dates from around March of 1945 and Adolf was already in his bunker.

But we had to put 9 million in uniform and it was truly do or die for us. My dad signed up at 17 like lots of other immigrants kids. Was at Normandy by 18 and a Master Sergeant at 19.

No being on his parents insurance till 26, either. Different world. I'm not saying it was better - it was just different.

In world war two the average age of the combat soldier was 26
In Vietnam he was 19. Inininininin Vietnam he was 19.

That's a repeated internet/Facebook meme but that's not true. It was lower than WW2 which was 26, but the average age in Vietnam was 22 still young but not a bunch of kids running around. The average age of privates WAS 20 but it's another myth that it was a poor man's war and a private's war as statistically you were more likely to be killed if you came from a middle class or upper class family as the front line officer ranks were mainly from there and they were statistically substantially more likely to be killed than random privates (plus most pilots including the 12,000 helicopters used in Vietnam were from the middle and upper classes). It's also an internet myth that Vietnam was mainly draftees fighting against their will as it was about 70% volunteers which is roughly the same rate as WW2. A stereotype that Vietnam Vets are drugged out criminal losers is also unfounded as they have a lower drug use and substantially lower criminal rates than the American average (they also DID commit suicide at a higher rate (1.7 times the average) in the immediate 5 year post war period but currently they are committing suicide less than men of the same age group).

More stuff here if you want facts not Facebook BS

http://www.vhfcn.org/stat.html

Reactions: goldmom
Germans did run out of men of fighting age. That photo dates from around March of 1945 and Adolf was already in his bunker.

But we had to put 9 million in uniform and it was truly do or die for us. My dad signed up at 17 like lots of other immigrants kids. Was at Normandy by 18 and a Master Sergeant at 19.

No being on his parents insurance till 26, either. Different world. I'm not saying it was better - it was just different.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My dad was a first generation immigrant kid in the South Pacific when he was 18. Poor kids fighting the wars of rich people so their kids didn't have to. Lots of lives ruined.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My dad was a first generation immigrant kid in the South Pacific when he was 18. Poor kids fighting the wars of rich people so their kids didn't have to. Lots of lives ruined.

Did you not see Tribe's post?

The average age of privates WAS 20 but it's another myth that it was a poor man's war and a private's war as statistically you were more likely to be killed if you came from a middle class or upper class family as the front line officer ranks were mainly from there and they were statistically substantially more likely to be killed than random privates (plus most pilots including the 12,000 helicopters used in Vietnam were from the middle and upper classes). I

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Are you really saying WWII - the Nazis, Pearl Harbor, etc. - was NOT worth fighting?

Reactions: FSUTribe76
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT