ADVERTISEMENT

2/5/19 Daily Digest: Doom and Gloom from Tampa Bay Times

FAKEWillieTaggert

Veteran Seminole Insider
Feb 1, 2018
Tallahassee, FL
Is anyone interested in a daily/semi-daily media round-up about FSU? I'd survey state/national news outlets discussing FSU, edit it down to digestible cliff notes, and post for your reading pleasure. Like the thread if it's something you'd be interested seeing on a daily basis. See below for general format. And don't shoot the messenger, these are not my opinions!

2/5/19 Daily Digest
Not much today outside of dozens of articles about DF12 dismissal, which I don't think needs to be re-hashed. Below are some non-DF12 related pieces by Tampa Bay Times. I don't like this rag myself, but these are interesting reads. Seems they are really coming after FSU with 2 hit pieces in the same day. (Note: these are not authored by Matt Baker).

1. In Willie Taggart we trust? Not so much
Cliff notes (edited/paraphrased for brevity): "Is there ever any good news these days coming out of Florida State? The hits keep coming for Willie Taggart and Florida State. The embattled head coach of the embattled football program dismissed troubling Deondre Francois from the team Saturday. There was an excellent chance that Francois wasn’t going to be the quarterback next season anyway. But that’s not the point. The point is that FSU seems like a mess at the moment and Taggart is running the show.

This latest drama underlines the fact that everything seems to be going wrong as Taggart heads into his second season, which looms as make or break. What, exactly, gives you any confidence in FSU at this point? After a dizzyingly awful 5-7 start, the hole he has dug in Tallahassee is real and deep.

Taggart’s bread and butter, recruiting, has yet to wow anyone with the Seminoles’ 2019 class. FSU is ranked 16th nationally as Wednesday’s signing day looms, currently the second-worst showing by FSU in the Rivals era (since 2002).

After an awful start, Taggart keeps struggling to figure this out. He is losing the optics battle. On the bright side, the 2019 schedule looks easier than last season. A 5-0 start might be possible. But I wouldn’t bet on it. I wouldn’t bet on anything in Tallahassee at this point.

2. How confident are you in the future of FSU Willie Taggart?
Cliff notes: "A losing season, new controversial offensive coordinator, pending suit and dismissed quarterback. We ask our team what it all portends for the coach’s future.
FSU went 5-7 in Willie Taggart’s first season, then changed offensive coordinators and now has dismissed starting quarterback Deondre Francois. How confident are you in Taggart’s future?

Matt Baker: There are too many ifs in Tallahassee. The Seminoles can return to at least respectability if the offensive line improves, and if they find some depth at quarterback,and if the controversial Kendal Briles hire works out. Maybe Briles can address some of Taggart’s perceived shortcomings with Xs and Os, but Taggart has a reputation as an excellent recruiter. His 2019 class is on track to be FSU’s second worst of the Rivals era. . . I don’t see many reasons to be optimistic. (SHOCKER!)

Joey Knight: It’s hard to envision Taggart somehow resuscitating his fibrillating tenure the way he did at USF in 2015, when he was one defeat from unemployment. His fortunes in Tampa turned on a dime when he finally unleashed QB Quinton Flowers, who became arguably the greatest player in program history. In Tallahassee, Taggart has no one to unleash at the moment. . . Toss in the offensive line’s shortcomings and myriad distractions (i.e. Briles’ baggage, pending Oregon lawsuits), and a significant improvement from 5-7 doesn’t seem plausible.

Ernest Hooper: Taggart may not want to buy any real estate in Leon County just yet, and he probably should keep that change of address form for the post office in his top draw.

Martin Fennelly: Call me crazy, but I have been a Taggart believer since he hit and rescued USF. But this is bad. The 5-7 season was bad enough. Taggart’s buyout is embarrassingly massive, so FSU is cornered.

Mike Sherman: Florida State wanted Taggart so badly it agreed to a contract that will pay him 85 percent of whatever is left on his six-year deal if it fires him. It would be an abomination if FSU decided to pay him, say, $17 million not to coach after this year. But these are the same people who gave a guy with a 47-50 career record $5 million a season, so who the heck knows what they’ll do next.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
That's all for today. Everything else is DF12 dismissal news. Thanks for reading. Remember, don't shoot the messenger. Like if you want daily digests like this going forward. Please comment your thoughts below.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News