ADVERTISEMENT

2013/14 EPL thread

Originally posted by LikeaG5:

What a day! It's great to have footy back and how great is the new coverage! The mighty Reds are off on a flyer almost had a heart attack at the end!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXKDIey9C24&feature=player_embedded

Gooner fans aren't happy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gSFEaI4HdA&feature=player_embedded
Nope, not at all!
mad.r191677.gif

Don't watch much of it but NBCSN is killing it with the EPL. I love the presentation and the use of their announcers instead of American. Great styling and they make it feel like it's a huge event.

The Noisy Neighbors with a clinical 4-0 dispatching of the Barcodes today puts them top of the table at the end of the first weekend. This match could have easily been 7-0 except for some brilliant early goalkeeping by Newcastle's keeper. Surprisingly, Arse isn't in the relegation zone...yet.

Arse will have their hands full tomorrow against Fenerbahce. Can Arse get in if they lose the tie and Fenerbahce gets banned from Europe. Milan drew against PSV and Celtic lost to a team that I never heard of from Kazakhstan.

United still trying to get Baines and Fellaini from Everton and Modric from Real. Welbeck and van Pennies (as he was named by Piers Morgan when he transferred to MUFC) looked good and Kagawa and Rooney slotted to play the 10, I am not sure what to make of Javier Hernandez's lack of roster spots. Rooney isn't going anywhere

United gets Chelsea, then Liverpool, Palace and then the Noisy Neighbors. That's a pretty tough 3 out of the first five games, I just hope they don't overlook Palace.

Arse losing like they did was a stunner. All 3 infants lost their EPL debuts. Nice to see Palace back up.

NBC Sports Network has great coverage. Televising games on the NBC national network is going to be great for the casual US viewers. I absolutely love the ONDEMAND feature for all games and the commercial with Jason Sudeikis is brilliant. I linked the full 4 minutes+ commercial. I will miss Ian Darke and Steve McManaman, but we will get the occasional game with Martin Tyler.

City has to be the favorites followed by Chelsea and then United.

Just read that Cissokho has signed with Liverpool from Valencia for the season on loan. I don't know that much about him. I know he is only 25 and this is his 4th top flight team.

What the hell ever happened to Stewart Downing and will Suarez leave before the transfer window closes? Arse might raise their bid now.

Philippe Coutinho might have been the best player on the pitch this past weekend (him and van Pennies, IMO, were co-players of the week).

Can never say enough about Ryan Giggs, he's turning 40 and had another excellent game. He won't do that every time out, but at 40, he's looking for his 14th EPL trophy and he's certainly not embarrassing himself out there. That 1999 FA Cup semi-final goal in overtime while down a man at the Villa Park, still has to be in my top 5 favorite goals of all time.

$200 million for Gareth Bale, pleeeeeaaassse. He is always 1 sneeze away from missing 5 weeks. If he draws the $200 million, what do you think MUFC/Nike will have to pay to get back Ronaldo (not the real one from Brazil)?

Anyone else happy to see Nottingham Forest atop the Championship League. Hard to believe that they won back to back Euro championships in the late 70's, only to never be heard from again.

Hey, didn't you used to be Pompei? Hey, didn't you used to be Wesley Sneijder?

OK, that's enough casual thoughts/observations from me for now.

Welcome back footy (especially the EPL) and with the domestic leagues, the UCL, Capital One Cup and World Cup qualifying in full swing, it is going to a fun fall.

full Jason Sudeikis NBC footy commercial

Good stuff, Manch. What I hear is that Suarez is waiting to see if Arsenal gets past Fernwood Tonight to qualify for Europe. If they do, the deal is done.

Remember, you heard it here first.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by seminoleed:
Good stuff, Manch. What I hear is that Suarez is waiting to see if Arsenal gets past Fernwood Tonight to qualify for Europe. If they do, the deal is done.

Remember, you heard it here first.
3dgrin.r191677.gif
LMAO! Henry isn't selling to Arsenal at any price. Instead of window shopping and acting like being in the market for players Arsenal should have wrapped up deals for Begovic, Gustavo, and Benteke. They would be serious title contenders...
Suarez is back in training with the full team after apologizing. He'll be ready to roar once back from suspension. He'll play where he did while at Ajax allowing Sturridge to become a top top player...

Oh, it's Fenerbache btw.

This post was edited on 8/20 8:43 PM by LikeaG5

Oh, it's Fenerbache btw.
Fenerdouche for all I care, and oh, no it's not Fenerbache, it's Fenerbahce, those silly Turks.

How about that, how about that (my favorite Martin Tyler line)...... Our first disagreement of the young season.

This post was edited on 8/20 9:08 PM by Manch.

hc, not ch

Originally posted by Manch.:

Oh, it's Fenerbache btw.

Fenerdouche for all I care, and oh, no it's not Fenerbache, it's Fenerbahce.

How about that, how about that (my favorite Martin Tyler line)...... Our first disagreement of the young season.
I wasn't even bringing up Fenberache to you. The Gooner fan said his club were playing a team from Holland....

My bad, thought you were correcting my spelling of Fenerbahce.

Crazy that they get a 2 year ban for match fixing in Turkey, and then that ban gets put aside to where they can play the tie and possibly get rebooted out of Europe.

With all the match fixing in Italy, how come Italian teams were never banned in Europe as a result?

Antoine Griezmann goal for Real Sociedad vs Lyon today. WOW! Real went on to win 2-0.

iV70W1Z71PzX4.gif

2nd goal:

[/B]
ikc19lGBsXhZg.gif

This post was edited on 8/20 10:22 PM by Manch.

Also, just read this. City could fall to the 3rd pot and face another group of death.........
roll.r191677.gif

"If any 3 teams out of Zenit, Milan, Lyon, Schalke and Arsenal qualify for group stage, City will be in 3rd pot.

Zenit almost certain after tonight, Schalke should win against PAOK and Milan are favorites after the away goal. Arsenal can go through anyhow if Fenerbahce fail with their appeal in CAS".

Oh, it's Fenerbache btw.

Fenerdouche for all I care, and oh, no it's not Fenerbache, it's Fenerbahce.

I wasn't even bringing up Fenberache to you. The Gooner fan said his club were playing a team from Holland....
Really? When did I say that?

Also, just read this. City could fall to the 3rd pot and face another group of death.........
roll.r191677.gif

"If any 3 teams out of Zenit, Milan, Lyon, Schalke and Arsenal qualify for group stage, City will be in 3rd pot.

Zenit almost certain after tonight, Schalke should win against PAOK and Milan are favorites after the away goal. Arsenal can go through anyhow if Fenerbahce fail with their appeal in CAS".
Maybe Arsenal spent all their transfer money bribing UEFA officials to set up this scenario? Inquiring minds want to know.

You said Suarez is waiting to see if Arsenal get by 'Fernwood'tonight. I assumed you were talking about a club from Holland and not Fenerbache.

Suarez isn't going anywhere this summer. He'll probably be off next summer though, and out of the country not to Arsenal.

Exactly what Gooner fans needed...3-0 final to the Arsenal, though that "Dutch team" looked terrible (especially Dirk Kuyt's eye from his training accident).

And Villa loses a heartbreaker 2-1 to Chelsea when a clear hand ball on Terry (who else?) isn't called in the box during stoppage time. Then Lambert has the gall to complain about the non-call. Hey, dude, you win by the bad calls (see both PKs against Arse) and you die by them.

Now watching Spanish SuperCup on the Deuce. All these new soccer channels are an embarrassment of riches for me.

I guess that Fernwood club is a Sunday pub team. Looks like I'll have to take a half day Monday for the chavs v scum match.

I guess that Fernwood club is a Sunday pub team. Looks like I'll have to take a half day Monday for the chavs v scum match.

Seriously, I've seen better sides playing U-19 rec at our local club. Obviously, I jest, but still, I don't think Arsenal was making them look that bad as that they really ARE that bad.

There's a reason the Gunners have never lost to them.

With Arse and Zenit in commanding leads and heading home and AC Milan with that important away goal while also heading home against a very young PSV team, it doesn't look good for City to crawl into pot #2. I expect Schalke to win their 2nd leg, so we could see both City and Dortmund in pot #3.

There could actually be 2 groups of death.

It's possible to see MUFC, PSG/Juventis, BSV and Napoli in 1 group and any non-EPL 1 seed, AC Milan, City and Leverkusen in another group. If Lyon crashes out, I think that Juvi will jump from pot #3 to pot #2.

Arse did what they needed to do today and win big on the road.

Possible pot seedings before the first ties:

Pot 1 coef. Pot 2 coef.
------------------------ --- ---------------- ------------------------ --- ----------------
Bayern Munchen (TH) Ger 146.922 Atletico Madrid Esp 99.605
FC Barcelona Esp 157.605 Olympique Lyon *3 Fra 95.800
Chelsea Eng 137.592 Shakhtar Donetsk Ukr 94.951
Real Madrid Esp 136.605 AC Milan *4 Ita 93.829
Manchester United Eng 130.592 Schalke 04 *4 Ger 84.922
Arsenal *4 Eng 113.592 Olympique Marseille Fra 78.800
FC Porto Por 104.833 CSKA Moscow Rus 77.766
Benfica Por 102.833 Paris Saint-Germain Fra 71.800

Pot 3 coef. Pot 4 coef.
------------------------ --- ---------------- ------------------------ --- ----------------
Juventus Ita 70.829 Bayer Leverkusen Ger 53.922
Zenit St. Petersburg *3 Rus 70.766 FC København Den 47.140
Manchester City Eng 70.592 Napoli Ita 46.829
Ajax Ned 64.945 Anderlecht Bel 44.880
Borussia Dortmund Ger 61.922 Celtic ** Sco 37.538
FC Basel *3 Sui 59.785 Steaua Bucuresti ** Rom 35.604
Olympiakos Piraeus Gre 57.800 Viktoria Plzen ** Cze 28.745
Galatasaray Tur 54.400 Dinamo Zagreb ** Cro 25.916

Bale deal is done to Real..93 million and Contrao.

Man U isn't going to get anybody in their group so I wouldn't worry about it.

Not worried, just throwing out scenarios. With no help in the transfer period, I don't expect United to get any further than they did last year.

Where did you see the Bale deal was done? Maybe now Modric to United will happen, although the Xabi injury could keep Modric at Real.

Sly Sports. I think Man City will do very well in the CL regardless if they are in pot 3 so as long as they avoid PSG from pot 2.

I read a story that Wenger may pick up both Benzema and De Maria from as Real starts to sell players to pay for Bale.

Works for me.

Originally posted by seminoleed:
I read a story that Wenger may pick up both Benzema and De Maria from as Real starts to sell players to pay for Bale.

Works for me.
Real's gonna pay for Bale by sending Ronaldo to United for equal cash and Rooney or Hernandez.

Real doesn't need to sell anybody to buy. Since swaps rarely happen, a Mata for Rooney deal makes too much sense to happen.

You can buy Bale's kit on their official website. He's going to have number 11. It seems like Spurs are holding off on announcing the deal until this Willian stuff gets done. That is the wildest transfer in some time and that is saying something.

Real doesn't need to sell anybody to buy. Since swaps rarely happen, a Mata for Rooney deal makes too much sense to happen.
This deal has had legs for a while now and the rumors are heating up again. Chelsea will make another offer for Rooney after Monday's game and United has inquired about Mata, but still insist that Rooney is not for sale.

The Xabi injury will keep Modric at Real.

I would like to see Rooney/De Ge and cash for Ronaldo and Iker (although at only age 22, De Gea is going to be one of the great ones).

A few thoughts on the possible Rooney/Mata swap.

Both players wear #10.

Mata will be 26 in April while Rooney will be 28 in October.

Rooney makes ?250,000 a week while Mata earns ?67,000 a week. Mata's current contract expires at the end of 2016, but Chelsea has been working on an extension and a raise to about ?100K a week. Rooney's current deal expires at the end of 2015. Both players would probably get new deals with their new clubs.

Chelsea paid about ?28 million for Mata and have offered in the region of ?30 million for Rooney.

If Rooney were to leave, that would leave United with van Pennies, Welbeck, Hernandez, Kagawa (mostly a winger or a 10) and Zaha (mostly a winger). If RVP were to get hurt, United would be crippled up front (if Rooney is shipped out). If the swap were to happen, United would need a top flight forward. I'm sure Chelsea would also dangle Torres and his ?175K a week salary (Chelsea would love to dump his contract) as part of any deal. I DO NOT want Torres.

I think this deal would make sense for United if Lukaku would be included, otherwise United could leave themselves dangerously thin at the forward position. Chelsea is pursuing Willian from Anzhi and they would be short up front if they were forced to include someone like Lukaku in any deal/swap. Chelsea is also looking at Porto's Jackson Martinez.

United has depth at the midfield/winger position, so bringing in Mata would force MUFC to transfer someone like Nani out and replace him with a top forward and I'm not sure that they can accomplish that in the remainng window. If an even swap does happen and United does not gain an extra forward, they can rule out any UCL or EPL trophies this year.

I cringe at Rooney being dealt to Chelsea, Liverpool, Tot, City or even Arsenal. United has a history of not sending top players to a rival or top EPL team.

With the Xabi injury, any deal for Lucas Modric is off the table, besides Modric has seen a lot of playing time for Ancelotti this summer.

Mata would be considered the long term replacement for Sir Ryan Giggs.

I would welcome the swap if United can add another top forward in this transfer period.

I do not like bringing in a 28 year old Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini. I think Fellaini would bring help to the midfield and he is only 25 years old while Baines is 28. Fellaini would make sense, and again, if United can land another forward and Mata stays at Chelsea.

Again, Rooney can not go anywhere unless a player like Lewandowski is brought in immediately (I know, Lewandowski is going no where at the moment and is likely headed to Bayern after the season). I am not sure why United did not go after Villa for the paltry €5.1 million that Athletico paid.

The above is just my $.02 with some pros and cons for United. I think a possible swap is 50/50, and 95/5 of United can land another striker.

I also see that Schalke is interested in Podolski. A Podolski for Rooney/lots of cash and bringing in Fellaini (who now has a ?23.5 million buyout clause) would make a little sense to me.

This deal has had legs for a while now and the rumors are heating up again. Chelsea will make another offer for Rooney after Monday's game and United has inquired about Mata, but still insist that Rooney is not for sale.

The Xabi injury will keep Modric at Real.

I would like to see Rooney/De Ge and cash for Ronaldo and Iker (although at only age 22, De Gea is going to be one of the great ones).
It's called the silly season for reason... CR7 isn't leaving Madrid this year. I'll place any bet you want on it.

In other news, the chavs gazump Spurs for Willian. Seems like 4th place is ours.

Just regarding Villa, he didn't want to leave Spain as Spurs offered more than 10M for him.

IMO, Mata isn't going to be included in any potential swap for Rooney. If he goes this summer I think he'll land outside the EPL. I personally hope he doesn't leave as he's still Chelsea's best creator. I think Manch. you've put the odds of a swap way too high (I'd say < 5% chance of it happening IF MUFC signs another ST). Straight sell has a chance, but this late in the window makes getting a replacement much more difficult and (maybe more importantly) much more expensive.

I wasn't a fan last year and still am not this year of playing all 3 of Oscar, Mata and Hazard in the 3 attacking MF slots due to the lack of width -> it appears Jose wants to limit the amt of times they all start there as well. I hope to see a lineup in the future (not Monday) where Oscar plays in the deep MF slot

Willian move is a head-scratcher to me this year. If he had been signed last summer I would've understood the move. It will only limit the amount of games for De Bruyne and Schurrle (aka Shirley). Willian's game seems too similar to Hazard's and Oscar's and Mata's for me for him to get that much PT.

re: Real moving Benzema, don't see that happening as he's the only ST they have with any experience at a high level. Unless they bring in Luis Suarez (don't think it happens, but stranger things have happened). If they don't bring in an Eto, Benzema moving makes no sense as that would put Ronaldo as the top man and it would limit his effectiveness IMO. Also, don't think Ronaldo would accept the role.

As an aside, really looking forward to Monday's match, but am very nervous about it especially with how shaky the D looked against Villa.

Hope to see Essien start as not liking Ramires/Lampard combo in the deep MF against top opposition -> especially since we're not going to have 2/3's poss. against United.

Predicting starting Lineup to be (barring training injuries):

Cech, Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry, Cole, Ramires, Lampard, Hazard, Oscar, Schurrle, Lukaku
Bench: Schwarzer, Azpilicueta, Essien, De Bruyne, Mata, Van Ginkel, Torres

Watching Villa/Pool on NBC right now...How awesome is that?! Did you guys ever think we'd see the day the EPL was carried on a major American network??

Originally posted by NoleLizards:
Watching Villa/Pool on NBC right now...How awesome is that?! Did you guys ever think we'd see the day the EPL was carried on a major American network??
Isn't it wonderful? Got to watch the Arsenal clinically destroy FUlham in a downpour to start the day, now watching this. And then, get to see my "other" alma mater against Godby in American rules football. What a fun day to veg in front of the tube.

Welcome to the Prem, Cardiff City. Shocking result: 3-2 over Citeh in their first ever Premiership home match. Very boisterous crowd.

Recommended reading: SI has an excellent story on Ballotelli in this week's issue.l

Out of respect, Jose is going to wait until after the game to launch the final bid for Rooney. I wonder if he'll see action in the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT