ADVERTISEMENT

2014 USA Olympic Hockey

It was said during the WJHC broadcast that Miller, Quick and Howard would be announced as the 3 goalies. I think most expect Quick to be the starter.

I said in 2010 that Quick was the goalie of the future for the US.

If healthy, it's not even close. Quick is far and away the best. I'm a bit worried about the groin, those are tough to get over for goalies. Nice to have a potential backup in Ryan Miller.

Jimmy Howard is good but a little slow for the wider ice and shot angles you'll see in the Olympics.

Originally posted by NoleMoreTears:
I said in 2010 that Quick was the goalie of the future for the US.

If healthy, it's not even close. Quick is far and away the best. I'm a bit worried about the groin, those are tough to get over for goalies. Nice to have a potential backup in Ryan Miller.

Jimmy Howard is good but a little slow for the wider ice and shot angles you'll see in the Olympics.
The Quick injury is what worries me. I admittedly don't watch much Western hockey so I don't know much about his injury status.

He went down in late Nov./early Dec. Expected return was 6-8 weeks. the backup has done pretty well in LA but groins are very fickle.

He's got 6 more weeks so might be okay but I don't think anybody knows right now.

It will be interesting to see who fills out the bottom 2 slots on D for the USA.

I may sound like a big homer, but the fact that Ben Bishop didn't make the team and Howard did is horrendous. Bishop has played himself into this team this year and should not have been left off.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Originally posted by nolealum99:
I may sound like a big homer, but the fact that Ben Bishop didn't make the team and Howard did is horrendous. Bishop has played himself into this team this year and should not have been left off.

Posted from wireless.rivals.com
The Howard pick makes perfect sense. Quick is the presumptive #1. Miller is the veteran #2 who has been there before. Given those two guys, the #3 goalie should never have to play. But if, through some combo of bad play or injuries the #3 is called on in a sudden pinch, you want someone who has faced high pressure situations and who can walk in and excel under seriously adverse conditions. It makes no sense to gamble with a guy who is an NHL/AHL journeymen in the midst of a half-season hot streak. This isn't the all-star game. You don't blindly "reaward" a good season. Howard has over 40 NHL playoff games of experience, and has played in numerous international competitions. That's why he got picked.

I thought the overall roster of Team USA was solid. The one glaring mistake IMO was taking Orpik over Keith Yandle. At this stage of his career, Orpik is a crappy fit for the big international ice. And the best feature of his game (physicality) is likely to be officiated unevenkly by crappy international refs. However, I don't think either guy would crack the USA top 6 D, so we're really just talking about a bench/fill-in player.

In terms of forwards, a lot of people are griping about Bobby Ryan being left out, but that move makes sense to me. Ryan is either a top-6 forward/PP guy, or he's useless. Clearely, he was behind Kane, Kessel, and Parise in terms of top-6 wingers. Once Team USA brass opted for van Riemsdyk to fill the other 2nd line left wing slot (a perfectly reasonable choice, especially given his chemistry with Kessel), Ryan had no place in the team. He'll be a good injury replacement if one of those 4 guys gets hurt between now and Feb. 9.

I generally agree. Bobby Ryan - they already have a couple players like him that do what he does better.

Leaving Jack Johnson off is a huge mistake. You're talking about a very mobile playmaker who can hit both sides of special teams. Yandle is more skilled but a little looser in his own end, especially in the corners. I personally think Johnson is better prepared.

People have this assumption that the larger ice sheet is somehow a high-scoring bonanza with all-star game type of chances. Not true. The dots and goal are the same width so it's actually easier to force plays wide and keep life at tough angles for the offense. There's a bit more room to cycle, maybe that's why the Euros cycle so well. But skating and counter-attacking are at a bigger premium, and I think the US made a mistake by leaving Jack Johnson out. I'd actually take Erik Johnson over Yandle in this format, but any of them should be in before Orpik.

I'm really glad TJ Oshie and Max Pacioretty got looks. These guys can deliver.

Agree Jimmy Howard is easily #3 over Bishop - in fact I wouldn't even have Bishop as my #4.

Originally posted by DC Nole:
Originally posted by nolealum99:

Posted from wireless.rivals.com
The Howard pick makes perfect sense. Quick is the presumptive #1. Miller is the veteran #2 who has been there before. Given those two guys, the #3 goalie should never have to play. But if, through some combo of bad play or injuries the #3 is called on in a sudden pinch, you want someone who has faced high pressure situations and who can walk in and excel under seriously adverse conditions. It makes no sense to gamble with a guy who is an NHL/AHL journeymen in the midst of a half-season hot streak. This isn't the all-star game. You don't blindly "reaward" a good season. Howard has over 40 NHL playoff games of experience, and has played in numerous international competitions. That's why he got picked.
I disagree. If your statement that the 3rd goalie never plays (which I agree with), the I think the 3rd goalie should be just that, and all-star pick. I don't care how much game experience a guy has. He has a 6-9-8 record right now. There is no way that he is a better fit to go over Bishop who is now 2nd in the league in wins. Ridiculous.

In other years you may be right but Quick has been hurt. So if Quick is unable to go and Miller gets hurt or fatigued, #3 does play a role. There's also the team chemistry aspect of having a guy with more tournament/playoff experience. I don't know either guy off the ice so can't personally comment but Jimmy Howard has a wider range of experience and has had more pressure play.

I'd have Corey Schneider over Bishop, as well, with Anderson and Thomas at the back of the bus.

Quick was supposed to play for the Manchester Monarchs tonight and Sunday, but the snow screwed up his flight. Not sure if he'll join the Monarchs on the road tomorrow or Sunday.

Let me know if you get to see him. He has a unique style of covering down low and still moving laterally - that's where the groin could catch up to him so I'm curious to see if he can execute that style...he'll kind of burrow down and try to see the puck with a much lower head than most goalies. Then just sort of slides back and forth and somehow manages to take away the top shelf. Incredible anticipation.

Terrific person and a hell of a hard worker. Manchester isn't far from where he grew up near New Haven. Hop you get to watch him play.

They are on the road, so if he does play, we won't get to see him. We did see him dozens of times when he was here in Manchester. My company used to have season tix, but they stopped it because not enough people used them. Our company got bought out, and the owner's husband owns the Minnesota Wild, so we're trying to get them to get tickets again for next year.

Quick, Dustin Brown and Slava Voynov, 3 former Monarchs are all headed to Sochi!

Didn't notice this, love Olympic hockey and hoping local kid Quick is fully fit!

Honestly though what are prospects for this US team? I don't follow world hockey as much but on paper Canada is scary.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

There's a clear top 4 of US, Canada, Sweden, and Russia.

The US has a lot of speed on this roster and has excellent 2-way forwards. Their medal hopes sit with Quick since the D is not as solid - I think a couple mistakes were made in the roster and a couple very promising youngsters are an Olympics away.

Russia has struggled in recent years with poor D and forwards not playing both ways. But you gotta figure home ice will help. A big unknown is how the mob gambling influence will affect their level of pressure and play being at home. It's no secret that the influence has reached across to the NHL playoffs for certain players (eg, Ovechkin).

IMHO Sweden is the most complete team. Lundqvist in net, leaders like Zetterberg and Alfredssen, and a top D pair that can log crazy minutes.

On paper Canada is incredible but there is uncertainty in goal and teamwork. They've struggled with those in the past. My guess is Carey Price gets most of the work in net. They clearly have the best depth.

Don't discount Finland in the tourney, less overall talent but they play a very good system and Niemi or Rask can be dominant. (My guess is Rask is #1). Can't say enough about Teemu Selanne - 6 Olympics!!

The Czechs, Slovaks, and Germans have some skill but not nearly the depth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT