ADVERTISEMENT

2021 - Full Stadiums?

I say no. Irrespective of the vaccine situation, I think a decent chunk of people have acclimated to staying home. Behavior has changed, and it will not immediately change back even after the "all clear" whistle blows (whenever that may be).

For corporate America, I think the changes are more long-term. It has been shown that a ton of people can work very effectively from anywhere. The days of people flying around for marginal meetings and iffy "customer/client events" are over. I think business (and maybe society as a whole) was moving towards "remote" in any case, but Covid-19 accelerated that initiative by 5-10 years.

Any chance? A huge portion of the population will have either gotten vaccinated or have contracted the virus by the time September arrives.

So sick of COVID!

Will need the vaccine, regardless of if you've already had it, especially with the variants. I had covid. My antibody level was measured as high 3 months ago. 2 weeks ago it measured on the low side at half the level as 2 1/2 months prior, but still enjough to donate plasma. Bottom line, the antibody only lasts for so long. My guess is the vaccine will require periodic booster shots.

Reactions: Random_John
I think it will still depend a bit on state rules, but once we give the vaccine to the elderly, the hospitalization/death rates should plummet. That will be the key metric which *should* guide the powers that be to open things up.

Will need the vaccine, regardless of if you've already had it, especially with the variants. I had covid. My antibody level was measured as high 3 months ago. 2 weeks ago it measured on the low side at half the level as 2 1/2 months prior, but still enjough to donate plasma. Bottom line, the antibody only lasts for so long. My guess is the vaccine will require periodic booster shots.
Agreed. I contracted it a little over a month ago but still plan to get the vaccine within the next month or so.

Reactions: Random_John
I say no. Irrespective of the vaccine situation, I think a decent chunk of people have acclimated to staying home. Behavior has changed, and it will not immediately change back even after the "all clear" whistle blows (whenever that may be).

For corporate America, I think the changes are more long-term. It has been shown that a ton of people can work very effectively from anywhere. The days of people flying around for marginal meetings and iffy "customer/client events" are over. I think business (and maybe society as a whole) was moving towards "remote" in any case, but Covid-19 accelerated that initiative by 5-10 years.
I disagree. I think the opposite, people will be salivating at the chance to get back to “normal”. Assuming the vaccine roll out ramps up by Sept anyone who wants to get vaccinated will have gotten it. I live in downtown Tampa and I can tell you it’s a zoo here right now with the Super Bowl. Everyone is wearing masks but there are tons of people out and about. It will be interesting to see who the first team/music venue is to allow a packed crowd. I’m sure they will all be hoping someone else just takes the plunge.

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree. I think the opposite, people will be salivating at the chance to get back to “normal”. Assuming the vaccine roll out ramps up by Sept anyone who wants to get vaccinated will have gotten it. I live in downtown Tampa and I can tell you it’s a zoo here right now with the Super Bowl. Everyone is wearing masks but there are tons of people out and about. It will be interesting to see who the first team/music venue is to allow a packed crowd. I’m sure they will all be hoping someone else just takes the plunge.
I don't think its as much staying home as finding or rediscovering interests that are not spectator sports. I am not sure the Super Bowl which happens to be hosting a true home team for the first time is a good example.

Another factor in traveling/filling stadiums is disposable income. How much has the average American lost in income in the last year? In my house it will average out to about 30-40%. Which is fortunately leveled out some by the lack of bar tabs in the last few months.

I don't think its as much staying home as finding or rediscovering interests that are not spectator sports. I am not sure the Super Bowl which happens to be hosting a true home team for the first time is a good example.
Eh, I don’t think tons of people have lost the passion to attend a sporting event in one year. Not a single person I know has. That’s not to say that the overall trend of declining attendance won’t continue but I still think we’ll see big crowds for ND and Miami for sure. Others will depend on how we look.

Reactions: FSUDoles

That’s a fair take, and quite possible. Time will tell.

Another factor in traveling/filling stadiums is disposable income. How much has the average American lost in income in the last year? In my house it will average out to about 30-40%. Which is fortunately leveled out some by the lack of bar tabs in the last few months.

It’s definitely a case where some folks have stockpiled savings as their earnings haven’t changed but there’s less to spend it on, and others have been squeezed. Not to get too political but until the Democrats took over, I’ve been pretty bullish on the economy because of this dynamic. Fundamentally, the core of the American economy is/was strong, we just really took away the discretionary sectors (temporarily). Unfortunately, to your point, that also happens to be where a good number of Americans earn a living.

Reactions: goldmom
Eh, I don’t think tons of people have lost the passion to attend a sporting event in one year. Not a single person I know has. That’s not to say that the overall trend of declining attendance won’t continue but I still think we’ll see big crowds for ND and Miami for sure. Others will depend on how we look.
I didnt say tons , I think it could exacerbate the already declining attendance issues that are already occuring.

Agreed. I contracted it a little over a month ago but still plan to get the vaccine within the next month or so.

Do you have to wait ninety days post your first negative post positive...I heard that somewhere...Boston peeps.

Ever hear of cabin fever? Everyone I know is absolutely sick and tired of having to stay home. People are getting in cars and just going for drives now for the sake of just being out of the house.
I’m looking forward to being in Doak. AFTER I get my vaccine!
I think travel come summer/fall will bounce back in a huge way. I know we have all kinds of travel credits from past trips we had to cancel in the last year. Despite financial setbacks we are planning a half dozen vacations in the next year.

Ever hear of cabin fever? Everyone I know is absolutely sick and tired of having to stay home. People are getting in cars and just going for drives now for the sake of just being out of the house.
Just got my vaccine (Phizer at .3 ml) today! The traffic was a nightmare. Got there before 7am for a 9-3 thing. Got the shot around 10:30am. And will be back in three weeks at Zero Dark Thirty. I never realized these shots could make you frisky. I'm sorry, that was the in house fireball.

Sure hope the virus is well under control by the Spring game. I'm looking forward to it for sure. Right now, only about 12% of the population (300 mil) have received a shot much less their second one.
Dr. Phil Good

You want to come over? Just bring your vaccine verification papers. :D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT