ADVERTISEMENT

39/50 of the current top songs are “explicit”

4KvN4Ot.gif

i remember back in the day buying actual cds the parental advisory stamp was so cool. Back when hip hop was cool

Reactions: fsu1jreed
While I do find this funny, as a parent of a 9-year old, music these days does put me in tough spots, frequently. Lots of explaining to do, or using my cat-like reflexes to change the channel and pray Jake didn’t just hear that. :)
Been there, done that. The daughter is 14 now: old enough that she's heard all the bad words. She has never slipped up and said one around us, so I cut her a lot of slack with music lyrics.

I agree with the general sentiment that music isn't what it used to be. But if you listen to Alt Nation on Sirius/XM, there's more than a few good bands that have come out since 2000 (to pick an arbitrary year), but you absolutely do have to look for them...sometimes you have to look hard for them. It (rock music, generically speaking) is not nearly as accessible as it used to be. Some good bands though, IMO are:

• Mumford & Sons (they're obviously a juggernaut)
  • Imagine Dragons (some of their stuff is good - but they are hit machines)
  • The War on Drugs
  • Manchester Orchestra
  • MGMT
  • Grouplove
  • Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros/Alexander Ebert
  • Silversun Pickups
  • Modest Mouse
  • Portugal. The Man
There's really quite a bit of good singer/songwriter and/or Indie stuff that's come out too. Tons of great artists have emerged from these genres since the Millennium, and some of these have rock roots and/or rock elements to their sounds:
  • Band of Horses
  • Iron & Wine
  • Bon Iver/Justin Vernon/S. Carey
  • Amos Lee
  • Andrew Bird
  • Gregory Alan Isakov
  • Death Cab for Cutie/Ben Gibbard
  • Rogue Wave
I'm sure I'm forgetting plenty of others too. Anyway, that's my $.02

I agree with the general sentiment that music isn't what it used to be. But if you listen to Alt Nation on Sirius/XM, there's more than a few good bands that have come out since 2000 (to pick an arbitrary year), but you absolutely do have to look for them...sometimes you have to look hard for them. It (rock music, generically speaking) is not nearly as accessible as it used to be. Some good bands though, IMO are:

• Mumford & Sons (they're obviously a juggernaut)
  • Imagine Dragons (some of their stuff is good - but they are hit machines)
  • The War on Drugs
  • Manchester Orchestra
  • MGMT
  • Grouplove
  • Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros/Alexander Ebert
  • Silversun Pickups
  • Modest Mouse
  • Portugal. The Man
There's really quite a bit of good singer/songwriter and/or Indie stuff that's come out too. Tons of great artists have emerged from these genres since the Millennium, and some of these have rock roots and/or rock elements to their sounds:
  • Band of Horses
  • Iron & Wine
  • Bon Iver/Justin Vernon/S. Carey
  • Amos Lee
  • Andrew Bird
  • Gregory Alan Isakov
  • Death Cab for Cutie/Ben Gibbard
  • Rogue Wave
I'm sure I'm forgetting plenty of others too. Anyway, that's my $.02
I get your point, but a lot of those bands and musicians are in their 40's and have been around for 20 yrs. Its the parents that are listening to them, not their kids. That would be like us listening to the Bee Gees and Barabara Streisand instead of Nirvana and Dr Dre, so I wouldnt consider them new.

I get your point, but a lot of those bands and musicians are in their 40's and have been around for 20 yrs. Its the parents that are listening to them, not their kids. That would be like us listening to the Bee Gees and Barabara Streisand instead of Nirvana and Dr Dre, so I wouldnt consider them new.
I'm not sure what can be done about that, but I see your point and more or less agree with it.

I will say that my daughter, who's 17 (no pics), listens to Alt Nation almost religiously. She says a lot of her friends do too. So there's some hope for our utes.

One thing I have noticed about how kids listen to music these days is how diverse their taste is. When I was young you either liked country, rap, or classic rock but there weren't many kids that liked it all. My son's playlist will go from Zac Brown to Led Zeppelin to Kendrick Lamar.

Reactions: NoleLizards
This thread is perfect considering what I saw just yesterday.

Flipping through the channels in the late afternoon, I passed VH!/MTV classic and ended up on some channel that is "Nick Music" or whatever. Something in the stupid video caught my attention, so I stopped on it. I think the chick's name was something like "Ann Marie". Immediately, there is a clear "F Bomb" censored out. You can clearly hear the "f" sound, see her lips move and its obvious to anyone what word she just said. It had no purpose in the song(something about being just friends) to begin with. I thought Nickelodeon was for like Middle School and under kids. What the hell?

Why would a kids music station even include artists using such language? If this wasn't Nick, I'm not even talking about it. But like I saw someone else post in another discussion about "inappropriate" commercials during sports events - give us a chance! Why market trash to our kids? Again, this isn't MTv, this channel is for younger kids. Unreal.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
In terms of contemporary artists who I really like, I submit Nathanial Ratcliffe and the Night Sweats for your consideration.

Reactions: ericram
I think hip hop is probably cooler among teens than it has ever been.

A lot of it is pretty raunchy. I'm actually surprised the genre doesn't catch more heat in the #metoo era.
I cant address this post without getting the thread locked.

Yeah, I'll be the 'get off my lawn' guy too. Most music today is unlistenable. Only one of the reasons I listen to music produced before the 2000s. Here and there I can find a song I like but its very slim pickin's for the most part.

This.

I try and keep up with what is going on these days b/c I have to. But man, so much of the stuff out there these days is just hard to listen to for various reasons.

This.

I try and keep up with what is going on these days b/c I have to. But man, so much of the stuff out there these days is just hard to listen to for various reasons.
Here's a website I frequent...I've researched a lot of newer artists I've learned about on it, and a lot are really high quality. One just has to dig a little past the Hot 100 or whatnot to find them:

https://www.besteveralbums.com

Been there, done that. The daughter is 14 now: old enough that she's heard all the bad words. She has never slipped up and said one around us, so I cut her a lot of slack with music lyrics.

I have a 5 year old, he likes to watch people play video games on youtube. Some of the people us random words. I had to have a talk with him... you like watching these vids? If I hear you say them or anyone tells me you say them, then you will end up on kids YouTube. I also explain what the word means. He's has good, so far. His mother, we are not together, is pretty liberal with her language and I am not. So, he hears it from her. Figured it's better to educate, then put a taboo on it. We'll see how it works, like I said, so far so good.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
I have a 5 year old, he likes to watch people play video games on youtube. Some of the people us random words. I had to have a talk with him... you like watching these vids? If I hear you say them or anyone tells me you say them, then you will end up on kids YouTube. I also explain what the word means. He's has good, so far. His mother, we are not together, is pretty liberal with her language and I am not. So, he hears it from her. Figured it's better to educate, then put a taboo on it. We'll see how it works, like I said, so far so good.
My girls would always say they hear a lot worse on the schoolbus.

Reactions: Wizzle_23
I've always explained that people only use those words because they're not smart enough to use the right words to express themselves. That worked pretty well.

Reactions: Wizzle_23
I've always explained that people only use those words because they're not smart enough to use the right words to express themselves. That worked pretty well.

I like that philosophy, but I'd accused of taking shots at the Baby Momma on that one. Funny things is she has a Masters in English, what are ya gonna do...

Reactions: NDallasRuss
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT