ADVERTISEMENT

A word to you all on character

dwk04d

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 27, 2005
If my professional career has taught me anything, it's how to be a better follower. If my life has taught me anything, it is to not throw stones. Lord knows I have made so many idiotic mistakes in my life, and have been embarrassed in so many settings, both professionally and personally, that I tend to extend some slack to others who aren't "at their best". I've found that sometimes the best thing to do is to highlight failures as teachable moments, and maybe offer some mentorship if I'm able; otherwise, exercise some patience. People of good character will take ownership of their mistakes, welcome criticism, and work hard not to repeat them.

People of bad character will lash out at others for their own failures, and try to pin the blame on someone or something that somehow absolves them of wrongdoing. Those folks don't have the "right stuff" to be leaders, or be placed into positions of authority and trust. No one is perfect, and so anyone who can't take ownership of a mistake can't be trusted, in my book.

I honestly wonder about those of you who are so quick to demand heads roll after a game. I wish the TC were a public forum that allowed us all to see YOU, personally, when you step up to the microphone to demand so-and-so be benched / fired. I hate to say it but I don't have a great impression in my mind (I imagine someone sitting on the couch, devouring Doritos, spewing crumbs while muttering "this guy sucks..." when watching these kids play the game.

I ask that we all take a step back, not kick these kids while their down. Norvell is the coach, and yes he made some terrible calls, but let's exercise some patience, and let them get on with fixing their mistakes. Firing anybody right now would be about the worst thing we could do, and if that's your go-to reaction when you see others make a mistake, I hope you are equally critical of yourself in your day-to-day life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News