ADVERTISEMENT

Advice on First Attempt at Shrimp Boil

Much like most discussions here. I am waiting for a restaraunt to be opened called FSUTribe opened by the poster known as that. :D

I've put in some thought as to that but while I'm a very good home chef and after watching all of the dip%*%s on TopChef, MasterChef, etc... I would definitely be well above the average "chef", I don't have any experience in the actual running of a restaurant (other than 25 years ago when I was a waiter and sous chef at a Greek restaurant). So it would be doomed to fail no matter how good the food was.

Plus, right now it's a hobby/passion. If I was doing it 9-5 cooking the same thing over and over again then I'd be hating it.

What I might actually do if my other businesses really take off is to just sit back and create concepts and menus and let other people run it. For example one thing Tally is missing (I used to say good BBQ but then I finally tried the bbq at Johnstons Locker Plant in Monticello and 4 Rivers moved in so that's knocked down a bit and I still say seafood but if you're willing to drive to Poseys or further to Apalachicola there is some decent seafood) is a quality healthy restaurant. There's lots of %*%** wrap places, but no one that does a good job of made to order and quick healthy food. Yet I've got a ton of self made or altered from online recipes healthy food that's delicious that takes no more than ten minutes from start to finish.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
I've put in some thought as to that but while I'm a very good home chef and after watching all of the dip%*%s on TopChef, MasterChef, etc... I would definitely be well above the average "chef", I don't have any experience in the actual running of a restaurant (other than 25 years ago when I was a waiter and sous chef at a Greek restaurant). So it would be doomed to fail no matter how good the food was.

Plus, right now it's a hobby/passion. If I was doing it 9-5 cooking the same thing over and over again then I'd be hating it.

What I might actually do if my other businesses really take off is to just sit back and create concepts and menus and let other people run it. For example one thing Tally is missing (I used to say good BBQ but then I finally tried the bbq at Johnstons Locker Plant in Monticello and 4 Rivers moved in so that's knocked down a bit and I still say seafood but if you're willing to drive to Poseys or further to Apalachicola there is some decent seafood) is a quality healthy restaurant. There's lots of %*%** wrap places, but no one that does a good job of made to order and quick healthy food. Yet I've got a ton of self made or altered from online recipes healthy food that's delicious that takes no more than ten minutes from start to finish.

Sounds like you need a partner that you can agree with that has the restaurant experience.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
The pics from smhnole look amazing, but I'd counsel you not to overthink it. Did a boil for 24 last week and it was pretty straight forward:
42 qt pot filled halfway
Add most of a small bottle of Zatarain's and a bunch of Old Bay and a couple of lemons cut in half (although the onions suggested above sound good)
Bring to boil
Add potatoes and sausage, cook 10 min (I use a mix of country smoked and andouille, the fat Johnsonville kielbasa or smoked sausage retains too much water)
Add corn (fresh, broken in half), cook 8-10 min
Add shrimp, shell on, cook 2 min.

Repeated for second batch and kept the first batch warm in a low oven in a couple large disposable roasting pans.

Biggest tip: Should there be any leftovers, they make a killer chowder the next day.

Doesn't the shrimp in the first batch end up ruined? Seems like it would just keep cooking in the heat & end up as shrimp-flavored gum.

I had the boil on saturday and it went really well. The water took a while to get going but everyone loved the results. Nobody had been to one before so they all loved it. Thanks again for all the advice.
qbjMETS

Your pic didn't show up, so here you go. Looks nice, what kind of sausage did you go with?

qbjMETS.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT