ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Aguayo becomes second 'Nole to declare for Draft

iraschoffel

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jul 13, 2014
Roberto Aguayo has declared for the draft, as expected. He joins Jalen Ramsey as the first two Seminoles to leave early for this year's draft.

Here's more from the FSU release:

“After giving this decision careful thought and meeting with my family and Coach Fisher, I have decided to enter the NFL Draft,” Aguayo said in a statement. “These last four years have been nothing short of incredible on and off the field. I have made memories that I will always treasure. One goal when I got here was to graduate, and I’m thankful I was able to earn my degree in Criminology this fall.

“Ever since I was a kid, I have bled Garnet and Gold. When I received a scholarship to play football at FSU from Coach Fisher it was a dream come true and a blessing.”

The redshirt junior kicker leaves Florida State as the most accurate kicker in NCAA history with a .9673 conversion rate (267-of-276) surpassing the previous record of .9667 set by Nebraska’s Alex Henery (261-of-270). Earlier this year, Aguayo established a new ACC record for consecutive PAT’s made – a mark that sits at 198. With a perfect 3-for-3 showing at the 2015 Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl, Aguayo became the 12th NCAA kicker all-time to never miss a PAT.

“I’m very happy for Roberto and his family,” Florida State head coach Jimbo Fisher said. “He was phenomenal for us here at Florida State. He’s arguably one of the best kickers not only in Florida State history, but in NCAA history. I wish him nothing but the best. He was a great player, but also a great leader for our team and a great ambassador for our university. We’re very excited for him and we will look forward to watching him compete in the NFL for years to come.”

In three seasons, Aguayo became just the second, three-time first team All-American in school history joining Deion Sanders. He was part of two ACC titles and played a huge role in helping the Seminoles to the 2013 National Championship. Aguayo was also a three-time, first team All-ACC selection by the coaches and two-time, first team all-conference honoree by the media.

In FSU’s career annals, Aguayo ranks second in scoring (405) and third in field goals (69) and PATs (198). In the ACC record books, he finished his career ranked second in scoring, fourth in PATs and sixth in field goals made. Aguayo joined Dustin Hopkins as the only two Seminoles in school history to have tallied at least 400 career points.

The 2013 Lou Groza Award winner, Aguayo finished his Florida State career a perfect 49-of-49 in field goal attempts inside 40 yards. He holds the school record for points in a single game by a kicker with 19 (vs. Wake Forest, Oct. 4, 2014) and the FSU, ACC and NCAA record for points by a kicker in a single-season with 157 (2013).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News