ADVERTISEMENT

Always wanted a .30-.30

Finance85

Star Player
Oct 22, 2003
So now I need to decide.
Marlin or Henry?
Walnut stock or laminated stock?
Depending on brand, stainless, blued, or brass?

I don't have any particular use other than target shooting. My grandfather had a .30-.30 when I was a kid, and I really liked it. LR, help me decide.

I knew a guy that had a Marlin. Fun to shoot.
I like the old-school rifles better than the ARs that everyone has.

I grew up deer hunting with my Dads Marlin he got when he was a kid. Still have it and it will be passed to my nephews or my son. Lord only knows how many deer have been killed with that thing and we still take it regularly. I've also got an older (80s) Winchester .30-.30 but it doesn't shoot nearly as sweet as the old Marlin

I have a Marlin model 336, walnut stock. It's about 30 years old. Great rifle, I can still drive a 3" shot group at 200 yards with it. I have a super cheap Tasco scope on it that is as old as the rifle and is just as true as ever.

That Henry will be your favorite gun ever.....so smooth and well balanced....

I have a Marlin model 336, walnut stock. It's about 30 years old. Great rifle, I can still drive a 3" shot group at 200 yards with it. I have a super cheap Tasco scope on it that is as old as the rifle and is just as true as ever.
About the same with my Maaalin 30-30. Love shooting that bad boy when I'm out in the woods...

I knew a guy that had a Marlin. Fun to shoot.
I like the old-school rifles better than the ARs that everyone has.
Yep. The AR is of no interest to me. I love my old Remington 30.06, but the most fun is the Winchester .22 and Sears single shot .410.

So... if I go with the Marlin, blued or stainless (receiver & barrel). Walnut or laminate?

had a marlin and killed my first deer with it. great gun and accurate especially scoped. thing I like about the marlin over say the Winchester is the side eject feature. not sure if the Winchester is still top eject.

had a marlin and killed my first deer with it. great gun and accurate especially scoped. thing I like about the marlin over say the Winchester is the side eject feature. not sure if the Winchester is still top eject.

I think the later model Winchesters changed to side eject.

I grew up deer hunting with my Dads Marlin he got when he was a kid. Still have it and it will be passed to my nephews or my son. Lord only knows how many deer have been killed with that thing and we still take it regularly. I've also got an older (80s) Winchester .30-.30 but it doesn't shoot nearly as sweet as the old Marlin

It's funny seeing modern 'hunters' confusion when they hear that you can hunt with a round other than a 7mm ultra-mag.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT