ADVERTISEMENT

Am I the only one that thought the game...

I think the idea that Super Bowl commercials are a thing is at least five years past the freshness date. There's been nothing memorable in years.

I see a lot fewer even trying to be "special" than in past years...probably a good thing at this point. The expectations are too high, and a bad miss is worse than just a normal commercial.

Reactions: bigloum
Were there any good ones? If so I didn't see them...

My wife and I loved the Christopher Walken one where he read the lyrics to NSync's Bye Bye Bye song. That one was memorable.

The new trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 also looked great.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wizzle_23
I think the idea that Super Bowl commercials are a thing is at least five years past the freshness date. There's been nothing memorable in years.

I see a lot fewer even trying to be "special" than in past years...probably a good thing at this point. The expectations are too high, and a bad miss is worse than just a normal commercial.
This. The bubble burst on Super Bowl commercials several years ago.

Oh, and I did like the Budweiser pro-immigration ad both for its message and for its production values and story but I lost some shine to it after I found out that it's complete bunk (Adolphus Busch was born an uber rich son of a German baron and likely faced no anti-immigrant hostility as St Louis was heavily German and most Germans were fully and easily assimilated into American life unlike the poor Irish, Italian, Sicilian, Welsh, Chinese and Jewish immigrants....basically if you were English, Scots, Dutch or German you were golden by that time). But I do find it hilarious that the people who are boycotting Bud as a result are mainly the ones who love it in the first place.

Last edited:
Reactions: 89nole and surfnole
We halfway watched, didn't see any that were memorable or great like years in the past. This whole early release of the SuperBowl commercials makes it less of a thing. The money they pay for SB advertising is crazy. Anyone see that Heinz gave all employees paid day off for Monday?

Question. While the Lady Gaga show was good, who do you think the halftime show is for? What are the demographics on the people in the stadium and watching? Does lady Gaga hit the demographic of the viewers? I sometimes question selection for the halftime show.

Super Bowl commercials lost a lot of the luster a few years ago, when it got to where you could watch all of them on youtube a week before the Super Bowl.

Reactions: ggmike1992
Question. While the Lady Gaga show was good, who do you think the halftime show is for? What are the demographics on the people in the stadium and watching? Does lady Gaga hit the demographic of the viewers? I sometimes question selection for the halftime show.

For most of the people I watched the game with yesterday, it was the first NFL game they watched all year. The Super Bowl blow's the NFL demographic wide open, which is why they try to go as main stream as possible for the halftime entertainment.

YouTube killed the Super Bowl commercial. The Geico Hump Day commercial had like 100m views when you add up all the various sources.

Reactions: billanole
YouTube killed the Super Bowl commercial. The Geico Hump Day commercial had like 100m views when you add up all the various sources.

The one with the babies dressed up as famous NFL players was the best commercial and it wasn't close.

That's a good question. I think that the Super Bowl is different than other football games, where a lot more families watch the game together, compared to other Sundays where not nearly as many people care about it. So, with the target being entire families, I guess you have to aim right in the middle - someone that draws in as many as possible, without explicitly pushing large groups away.

For this reason I think that hot female singers like Katy Perry are always a good choice. I might not have a strong opinion of her music, but the wife and kid usually like it well enough, and I'm going to hang out and watch her because she's attractive and there's always hope for a wardrobe malfunction.

NFL decided, after The Who, to go younger and more relevant with half-time entertainment. I though Lady Gaga did very well and the drones were incredible. I suspect that next year it will be Taylor Swift, who is in the last year of her contract with Coke, so will be free to perform in a Pepsi sponsored event. Swift's concert on Saturday was the hottest ticket in Houston.

NFL decided, after The Who, to go younger and more relevant with half-time entertainment. I though Lady Gaga did very well and the drones were incredible. I suspect that next year it will be Taylor Swift, who is in the last year of her contract with Coke, so will be free to perform in a Pepsi sponsored event. Swift's concert on Saturday was the hottest ticket in Houston.
2MDXWXA.gif

Super Bowl commercials lost a lot of the luster a few years ago, when it got to where you could watch all of them on youtube a week before the Super Bowl.

Yep. I did like the Spuds McKenzie ghost Bud Light commerical. Budweiser always have had my favorites. I miss the the Clydesdales/puppies/frogs/iguanas/etc.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
That's a good question. I think that the Super Bowl is different than other football games, where a lot more families watch the game together, compared to other Sundays where not nearly as many people care about it. So, with the target being entire families, I guess you have to aim right in the middle - someone that draws in as many as possible, without explicitly pushing large groups away.

For this reason I think that hot female singers like Katy Perry are always a good choice. I might not have a strong opinion of her music, but the wife and kid usually like it well enough, and I'm going to hang out and watch her because she's attractive and there's always hope for a wardrobe malfunction.
...the key being hot female...

Reactions: funksouljon
Oh, and I did like the Budweiser pro-immigration ad both for its message and for its production values and story but I lost some shine to it after I found out that it's complete bunk (Adolphus Busch was born an uber rich son of a German baron and likely faced no anti-immigrant hostility as St Louis was heavily German and most Germans were fully and easily assimilated into American life unlike the poor Irish, Italian, Sicilian, Welsh, Chinese and Jewish immigrants....basically if you were English, Scots, Dutch or German you were golden by that time). But I do find it hilarious that the people who are boycotting Bud as a result are mainly the ones who love it in the first place.

Wow....more fake news.....very interesting factoid. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
This year's superbowl...Men watch the game and women watch halftime and the commercials.

Didn't everyone love my 84Lumber commercial??
signed, Vicente Fox

I've thought the same thing since orobabaly the last 4-5 Super Bowls.

"Oh my!" "Oh my!" "Oh My!" "Oh My!" Oh my!" "Oh my!" "Oh My!" "Oh My!"Oh my!" "Oh my!" "Oh My!" "Oh My!"Oh my!" "Oh my!" "Oh My!" "Oh My!"Oh my!" "Oh my!" "Oh My!" "Oh My!"Oh my!" "Oh my!" "Oh My!" "Oh My!"Oh my!" "Oh my!" "Oh My!" "Oh My!"Oh my!" "Oh my!" "Oh My!" "Oh My!"Oh my!" "Oh my!" "Oh My!" "Oh My!"Oh my!" "Oh my!" "Oh My!" "Oh My!"Oh my!" "Oh my!" "Oh My!" "Oh My!"Oh my!" "Oh my!" "Oh My!" "Oh My!"Oh my!" "Oh my!" "Oh My!" "Oh My!"Oh my!" "Oh my!" "Oh My!" "Oh My!"Oh my!" "Oh my!" "Oh My!" "Oh My!"Oh my!" "Oh my!" "Oh My!" "Oh My!"Oh my!" "Oh my!" "Oh My!" "Oh My!"Oh my!" "Oh my!" "Oh My!" "Oh My!"Oh my!" "Oh my!" "Oh My!" "Oh My!"Oh my!" "Oh my!" "Oh My!" "Oh My!"Oh my!" "Oh my!" "Oh My!" "Oh My!"Oh my!" "Oh my!" "Oh My!" "Oh My!"Oh my!" "Oh my!" "Oh My!" "Oh My!"Oh my!" "Oh my!" "Oh My!" "Oh My!"Oh my!" "Oh my!" "Oh My!" "Oh My!"Oh my!" "Oh my!" "Oh My!" "Oh My!"Oh my!" "Oh my!" "Oh My!" "Oh My!"Oh my!" "Oh my!" "Oh My!" "Oh My!"Oh my!" "Oh my!" "Oh My!" "Oh My!"

What, that wasn't funny?

Wow....more fake news.....very interesting factoid. Thanks for sharing.

I hope this "fake news" comment is ironic because I missed the memo when Budweiser commercials became sources of news. I did see Clydesdales playing football once........

Reactions: funksouljon
It was a commercial not news. When has advertising ever been factual.

Well....that's true. But the commercial tries to paint a narrative that is false.....and many will believe that Budweiser was founded by a poor immigrant. So, not fake news, but not honest either. It would have made for a great story if true.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT