ADVERTISEMENT

American Sniper

I haven't seen it yet, but it sounds like Eastwood is recycling the prevailing theme from Unforgiven; that killing, even for a righteous cause, still leaves you emotionally scarred for life....

014841_sub.jpg

Originally posted by SoProudNole:

I DON'T feel he needs to at all. But he went in to quite the dissertation there
about the goings on around him to make me think it would have been a lot easier
to enjoy the movie he paid to see AND make a point as well rather than sitting
where he was.

Hell, he could have even loudly pissed and moaned as he did
it to REALLY drive the point home.
Fair enough but he is echoing how crappy it is to go see movies today. I think it sucks when people come into the theater and feel they are the only ones in the theater.

But I cannot tell you how bad it is when people bring kids into movies that are clearly meant for adults.

I stopped going to the movie theatre because of incidents like the one mentioned. One of the last times I went, a lady with a bad combination of bronchitis and emphysema sat behind us and coughed her way through previews. We moved as far away as possible but could still hear her. I told my wife then it was pay per view for me or I won't go. It's not that important for me to see it a movie's first run.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

If I go see a new movie in the theater, I wait a few weeks until the theaters are pretty much empty for it. No need to be one of the sheep who flock to be first to see it in a crowded theater.

Probably wait on this one for Netflix and watch it in my den, in a cozy recliner, on my big screen tv, and with a glass of bourbon.

Originally posted by SoProudNole:

Originally posted by CaliNoleFan6:
Just watched it. Solid flick - my issue was more about my experience in the theatre, moreso than the movie itself.

Went with a buddy. We sit the customary 1 seat apart. I have my elbow room and everything is fine. After the previews are over, hell then starts to commence. First, this couple comes in - sits a chair away from me, which was fine except for the fact that they brought their toddler. Not that I have a problem with kids being in the theatre, but if they are going to cry the whole time, do the right thing and leave - have the manager give you passes for a better time. Movie starts, kid is still fussing and then it gets mysteriously quiet. I wouldn't have noticed except that before long the lingering smell of dirty diaper started to fill the air. I look at them, covering my nose which to their credit they did get the hint and left. The problem was that they came back and actually brought a friend... or someone they know. Of course, as luck would have it, she ends up sitting right next to me... all 400lbs or so. Where I was once comfortable with elbow room, I now felt like I was flying economy on Delta from Baltimore to KCIA.

So after re-establishing my elbow room, we are good. Movie is entertaining and then that diaper smell comes back. I again look over and once again, they are taking the kid out. Cool - they are on it, except with all the action of the movie and how loud it was, I was completely unaware of another issue that was about to present itself... "Pssst" Pssst" Psssst"... what the hell? As luck would have it, during one of the more quiet scenes I was now having to deal with said friend that they brought in who had their own OXYGEN TANK. You gotta be kidding me - I'm trying to watch a movie, yet every 15 minutes I have to smell baby poop, a biggin who's blood type is ragu with a chair screaming mercy and then to top it off a fricking O2 tank? Before long those in back of these people actually starting being not to subtle with their comments - I was relieved that it wasn't just me, though I was trying to be more polite.

Anyway, as for the movie itself - it was a solid 8.5 in my opinion. I would have liked to see more detailed technical stuff, not the standard 2 week, run of the mill this is how you hold a weapon, clear a room etc. It seems like they put more into the PTSD research though, which was good and it came across as genuine. When it was over, just as others have said - the theatre was eerily quiet and yes, we even had like 2 people that tried that whole slow clap thing, but it died out pretty fast. This movie didn't have the shock value that I feel Lone Survivor had, but it was still good. Thumbs up
Was it just too hard to get up and move?
Normally, I would have moved, but there were no other seats. I got there 15min early and it was still packed. Having said that, I shouldn't even have to move. If people have issues then that's fine, but a little courtesy goes a long way. It was just one of those "perfect storms" I guess and where I was trying to be polite, those behind them were not. Though they ended up saying throughout, I think it left a mark so that hopefully the next time they decide to see a movie, they are better prepared.

Just watched it. Solid flick - my issue was more about my experience in the theatre, moreso than the movie itself.

Went with a buddy. We sit the customary 1 seat apart.

Why didn't you just move over to the seat you left between you and your buddy?

Originally posted by DukeFan1:
I haven't seen it yet, but it sounds like Eastwood is recycling the prevailing theme from Unforgiven; that killing, even for a righteous cause, still leaves you emotionally scarred for life....

ec
This...........I hope to God (whichever one you believe) I never have to take a life. Don't get me wrong, somebody kicks in my door I'm going to put them down permanently......but I don't think I'll handle it very well afterwards.

Originally posted by F4Gary:

It wasn't an option - the smell of dirty diaper pretty much bombed a good portion of the entire area where we were sitting.

Off topic - when you flew F4's were they equipped with the drag chute? I ask because when I was a rigger in the Air Force, they had a model of one on the wall - completely different from the ACES II, but still pretty cool. Long flutes to store the 550 and so on.

Just finished watching it now. I didn't know anything about the actual person or the back story, so I didn't know what to expect.

Overall, somewhat entertaining. There were a few decent moments. The story telling was weak imo. Not sure what the hype was all about, but I didn't really get that much out of it. I'm glad they focused on PTSD, probably could have done it more service if they had made it a stronger focus rather than focusing on a sniper duel.

This post was edited on 1/23 1:27 AM by dmm5157

Originally posted by F4Gary:

It wasn't an option - the smell of dirty diaper pretty much bombed a good portion of the entire area where we were sitting.

Off topic - when you flew F4's were they equipped with the drag chute? I ask because when I was a rigger in the Air Force, they had a model of one on the wall - completely different from the ACES II, but still pretty cool. Long flutes to store the 550 and so on.
All F4's had drag chutes. And yes they are different from an ejection seat parachute.

F5's had them too.

Originally posted by alaskanseminole:
Interesting Read
Very interesting read, glad I am reading this after seeing the movie or I may not have even watched it.

I do see the actual person (Chris Kyle) in a different light, having watched some of his interviews and read portions of that article that make him seem more human.

the movie really missed some great opportunities to tell a much bigger and more meaningful story.

I watched it today..It was worth watching.Maybe knowing exactly how it ended ruined it for me.I actually wasn't aware of the story until the movie came out and I read a little bit about it.

I watched it today. I have a friend who votes for the AA so I get the DVD. Good movie but not great.

Originally posted by alaskanseminole:
Interesting Read
The article the link goes to is just as much political propaganda as what it accuses the movie of being. I just saw the movie last night, and while I agree it was a good, but not great, movie, I didn't see all of the implications that the article portrays are in there...the article talks more about what it thought the movie should have been (an overall depiction of the Irag war) instead of the movie it was (it was about Chris Kyle and his perspective).

Originally posted by 12Nole:
Yeah I saw it last night. You could hear a mouse piss on cotton walking out of that theater. I didn't know there was an Olympic sniper running around Iraq taking out U.S. Soliders and then selling the DVD of his kills on the streets of Iraq. Sick bastards over there...scares me to death that they're finding a way over the Mexican border. Only a matter of time before we're hit again.

Which is precisely what the makers of this exploitation film aimed at the American sub-genius want you to think.
rolleyes.r191677.gif

It was a good movie.....not one of my all time favs but a good movie.

Not sure what some folks are getting all bent out of shape about...it not like the real American Sniper was killing innocent people. I'm sure the movie sensationalized things some, but nonetheless...he is one of the good guys killing the bad guys.

Go FSU
Frank

Originally posted by FSUFrank:

Not sure what some folks are getting all bent out of shape about...it not like the real American Sniper was killing innocent people. I'm sure the movie sensationalized things some, but nonetheless...he is one of the good guys killing the bad guys.

Go FSU
Frank
How could you possibly know that he was only killing "bad guys"? And that isn't to say he was some rouge sniper, but the insinuation that our government always gets it right is somewhat troubling.

Rules of engagement.
I'm sorry this movie didn't go into any detail on the copious paperwork required like this book did,
but you can rest assured under this president and his million lawyers in DC now bout for blood, if any sniper kills someone they shouldn't they'll be all over it and the media would exploit it. that's what these soldiers have to deal with now, detailing with who they kill and in what scenario on top of just staying alive and completing whatever was assigned. War had never been this catalogued before.

Great movie anyway, never seen an audience so affected by a flick

Originally posted by kooterridesagain:

Great movie anyway, never seen an audience so affected by a flick
So affected by what? I feel like I'm missing something. The way the movie ended, it didn't seem to clearly convey the manner in which Chris Kyle was murdered. It says he was killed, but it does not do him justice in explaining it wasn't an accident. He was murdered by a fellow veteran (former marine) that was suffering from mental illness or severe PTSD (or both).

Is it the shock that he was killed by someone he barely knew who was also ex-military? The film didn't really give much information about his killer, but that in and of itself is interesting and seems like it could/would tie into the PTSD part of the film, which was its most redeeming facet.

PTSD is very real and it's a very dangerous condition that has always existed and should be highlighted. That is to the benefit of current soldiers, veterans, and their families.

Source reputation aside, but this is pretty intriguing information (see links below).

Helping soldiers deal with PTSD so this kind of thing happens less frequently would have been more useful than showing the funeral procession footage from Chris Kyle. Seemed to me that showing him as a hero to be more important than trying to use his tragic story to help other soldiers moving forward.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/01/22/the-trial-of-eddie-routh-the-man-who-killed-chris-kyle-will-be-american-snipers-darkest-chapter/

http://abcnews.go.com/US/american-sniper-happened-real-life-movie-fades-black/story?id=28352754

This post was edited on 1/26 11:08 AM by dmm5157

Dmm,
I'm not sure but again I already knew the ending so someone who didn't know can give a more honest assessment of the emotions of the ending.

Saving private Ryan is only comparison I can make in person from audience around me.

I thought the movie definitely provided some info on the struggle he had and how he wanted to help other PTSD vets. Certainly not like the book but I dont think Eastwood glamorized Kyle in some hero worship either.

Dmm,
I'm not sure but again I already knew the ending so someone who didn't know can give a more honest assessment of the emotions of the ending.

Saving private Ryan is only comparison I can make in person from audience around me.

I thought the movie definitely provided some info on the struggle he had and how he wanted to help other PTSD vets. Certainly not like the book but I dont think Eastwood glamorized Kyle in some hero worship either.
I didn't know anything about Chris Kyle before the movie and purposely avoided this thread or anything about him on the internet before watching the movie. I didn't know how he was killed, so for me the ending left me with questions. I watched the movie at home, so I immediately Googled Kyle and looked up how he was killed. I figured his death was an accidental shooting or something, so I was shocked to learn he and another man were murdered by an ex-marine (Eddie Routh). That is the reason for me saying the movie could have done more to give some additional information about his death to benefit others in the future as well.

Personal statements:

I have no political agenda and I have many family members who are currently serving in the military (some army, mostly air force), as well as veterans (including my grandfather who served in WWII).

My wife is a licensed clinical social worker who has worked with some veterans and/or their family members using EMDR therapy to treat PTSD. The only thing the movie did, for me, was make me a little more worried about her safety a bit when working with her clients, but that is a personal issue. I do value the work that she does and, from her accounts, it seems like it does work.

Originally posted by dmm5157:

Dmm,

I didn't know anything about Chris Kyle before the movie and purposely avoided this thread or anything about him on the internet before watching the movie. I didn't know how he was killed, so for me the ending left me with questions. I watched the movie at home, so I immediately Googled Kyle and looked up how he was killed. I figured his death was an accidental shooting or something, so I was shocked to learn he and another man were murdered by an ex-marine (Eddie Routh). That is the reason for me saying the movie could have done more to give some additional information about his death to benefit others in the future as well.

Personal statements:

I have no political agenda and I have many family members who are currently serving in the military (some army, mostly air force), as well as veterans (including my grandfather who served in WWII).

My wife is a licensed clinical social worker who has worked with some veterans and/or their family members using EMDR therapy to treat PTSD. The only thing the movie did, for me, was make me a little more worried about her safety a bit when working with her clients, but that is a personal issue. I do value the work that she does and, from her accounts, it seems like it does work.
I liked the ending because it felt more real and not a hollywood ending. Mainly because it is real. Its still an ongoing trial so that may be why they didnt go into too much with the guy who killed Kyle. Or they didnt want to glorify him with much backstory. Or because nobody really knows what actually happend that day at the gun range. We still dont know the guys mindset. Diving into what happened that day when nobody actually knows anything would have ruined the movie for me.

Originally posted by Zeek99:

Dmm,

Personal statements:

I liked the ending because it felt more real and not a hollywood ending. Mainly because it is real. Its still an ongoing trial so that may be why they didnt go into too much with the guy who killed Kyle. Or they didnt want to glorify him with much backstory. Or because nobody really knows what actually happend that day at the gun range. We still dont know the guys mindset. Diving into what happened that day when nobody actually knows anything would have ruined the movie for me.
No need to dive into any particular narrative but a little bit more information would have been welcomed. They gave very little at all.

I'll have to go back and watch the ending again to see what they actually said before showing the funeral procession footage.

As an F Class 1000 yard shooter, I find the movie alluring. Lots of work and lots of luck go into shooting long distances.

It would be nice if old vets like me, if found to have a terminal illness, could be shipped out with their rifles and given the opportunity to terminate these bastards.

My wife is also an LCSW who has done some counseling for vets with PTSD. She's an oncology social worker so she gets the double whammy of counseling vets with cancer in addition to PTSD. She's had her share of "interesting" patients who don't have PTSD so hearing stories about it add to the worry.

When I was 19, I did a guy in Laos from a thousand yards out. It was a rifle shot in high wind. Maybe eight or even ten guys in the world could have made that shot. It's the only thing I was ever good at.

Originally posted by CC0492:

When I was 19, I did a guy in Laos from a thousand yards out. It was a rifle shot in high wind. Maybe eight or even ten guys in the world could have made that shot. It's the only thing I was ever good at.
621_356_lethal_weapon.jpg

There are rumors of a Special Operator that has a verified 1600yd head shot, but he got so inebriated with Kelly Lowrey he lost his car in Tallahassee and made the most pathetic voice mail EVA...

* SNICKER*

This post was edited on 1/27 8:08 AM by Phinhead

Great, great movie...briliantly directed and acted...does not glorify Kyle, or the war, or any war....if anything it is an anti-war movie. Vastly superior to Saving Private Ryan and yes, it is similar to Unforgiven.

Originally posted by Phinhead:
There are rumors of a Special Operator that has a verified 1600yd head shot, but he got so inebriated with Kelly Lowrey he lost his car in Tallahassee and made the most pathetic voice mail EVA...

* SNICKER*

This post was edited on 1/27 8:08 AM by Phinhead
DAMN IT!!!!

I agree....I sure as hell didn't walk out of the movie thinking where can I sign up. I thought it was a good movie though

The thing that I kept thinking during that movie was how in the hell do those guys stand being away from their kids that long. I remember when I had to go to India for 3 weeks for work and but the end of the second week I could not wait to see my wife and kids.

It is one hell of a sacrifice that the troops and their families make.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT