ADVERTISEMENT

ANOTHER New Footie Thread

Originally posted by LesClaypool:
Crystal Palace!!!!

'Pewl blow a 3-0 lead in the final 12 minutes to gift city the title (if city wants it, that is. We'll have to see.
Holy shih-tzu! The magnitude of this choke could go right up there with Novotna at Wimbledon, Van de Velde in The Open, and UF at FSU in '94! As a Chelsea supporter, I now feel better. Someone else in the title chase sucks more than we do!!
laugh.r191677.gif

A grand result for a Peasant hater. But it emphasizes how poorly The Arsenal played that they'll finish 4th behind these three klutzes.

Rooting for City, Liverpool or Chelsea is like rooting for HIV, cancer or an aneurysm, but have to root for City to keep the title lead over Liverpool. I was just looking for the Liverpool/CP score and saw the 3-3 final, then read the box score. Ouch.

It's been a rough year for United and their fans, but their run since 1995 has to be one of the greatest runs in sports history. Better than Russell's Celtics, Wooden's UCLA Bruins or even Bobby's top 5 finishes. Liverpool fans have feasted on MUFC's dismal season, the sheer delight, United finishing this bad was equivalent to the Gators going 4-8, and the blown 3-0 lead was equivalent to the Choke at Doak. Over at RAWK, the fans are saying that United should never consider City a rival after rooting for them the last two weeks. I guess that would be line Nile fans rooting for the Canes to win the BCS over the Gators.

Hats off to Liverpool, I believe they did more with less and it's a good thing they won the League 3 weeks ago. They will return to the UCL, and they will bring in more players. I think Rodgers has done a great job. I don't think they overachieved, because they have the talent to achieve and they will be heard from again next year. With UCL money coming in, they will add the 5 or 6 players that Rodgers says that they need to contend in Europe

Speaking of UCL, City and PSG will be sanctioned by EUFA next year for breaking the fair play guidelines. I am surprised that no one has mentioned this yet. Any ideas what the final sanctions will be before the oil money buys less severe sanctions?

Just when Atletico could wrap up La Liga, they failed to and Ronaldo comes up with perhaps the goal of the year. How does he go uncovered, in stoppage time? What are the odds that Barca pulls an Everton and folds to keep their hated rival from winning the silverware.

Speaking of Everton, Martinez edges out Rodgers for manager of the year and Ross Barkley gets the EPL goal of the year.

Ed, since Arsenal has not won a trophy since 2004, winning the FA Cup, and contending with clubs who's benches have a higher payroll than Arse's starting 11, I would say, yes, it's been a successful year. I believe the FA Cup is still one of the great trophies out there. Would love to see Wigan win the Championship playoff and get back to the EPL.

Gonna watch the last 11 minutes of today's game.

I missed the game and am glad. These last few games are truly world class choking. Even if Liverpool weren't expected to win anything this year they are the most rested team in epl.
No Europe, no long FA run, no long Carling run. All they've had is 38 epl games and they've choked.

Still awful for any fan who doesn't follow the Monopoly money clubs of United/City/Chelsea. They're terrible for soccer and gonna win another title.

Go Villa, shock the world!
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Btw, as Everton fan Martinez blew any manager awards the last month. 3 points from last 12 blew champions league vs an Arsenal I think they're better than as they proved in last meeting. Everton choke would be a bigger story if not for title teams stumbling.

Everton finished 6th last two years but missed Europa with bad luck. They'll finish 5th this year and make Europa but I agree it's a positive step and Martinez way better than Moyes.

To me it's Tony Pulis coach of year.

When he was hired Palace had 1 win, 9 losses, 1 tie. Relegation guaranteed. He's gone 12 wins, 10 losses, 4 draws. 11th place! Incredible with a terrible roster who were 5th in championship last year.

Russell's Celtics and Wooden's UCLA teams are WAY more impressive. They're the two most impressive, most dominating runs in the history of team sports. If you want to put United up there in 3rd, I won't argue, but it's preposterous to suggest that UCLA, in particular, isn't #1. If United won 10 FA Cups in a row, or 10 out of 11, THEN you could (possibly) make such a suggestion, but only then.

Manch, if Althetico win this weekend, then as long as Barca don't beat Athletico the final week of La Liga's season Real can't win the league. Athletico needs 4 points to win La Liga as they have head-to-head tiebreaker over Real.

I know it's only the half, but Citeh is nil-nil hosting Aston Villa. Does anyone actually want the damned trophy this year??

Never mind...Should have kept my big fat mouth shut.
smile.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 5/7 4:27 PM by NoleLizards

Real officially out of it now with pathetic last second goal given up to relegation team. So barca Atletico for title next weekend.
Too many injuries for Real caught up to them, di Maria got hurt too, a shame as IMHO they're best team in Spain this year but didn't have any luck. Matters not. Ronaldo better be fit for final that's still the priority.

Here we go, gents. Last day, and all 10 games on simultaneously. Such a smorgasboard (except I have to watch The Arsenal on the reprehensible MSNBC).

CYOG...and you Citizens as well.

Congrats to City and their fans...2 out of 3 ain't bad.

On a side note, I'm proud of my Blues. In what was essentially a meaningless match on the road, they dug down deep late to come back late to win in a tough environment. No hardware this year, but finishing just four points back in the EPL and making it to the UCL semis is still pretty impressive.

Originally posted by NoleLizards:
Congrats to City and their fans...2 out of 3 ain't bad.

On a side note, I'm proud of my Blues. In what was essentially a meaningless match on the road, they dug down deep late to come back late to win in a tough environment. No hardware this year, but finishing just four points back in the EPL and making it to the UCL semis is still pretty impressive.
True, but if Wenger raises the FA Cup, Spurrier's "Legacy of Failure" comment is going to come back to haunt him.

Originally posted by seminoleed:
FA Cup Final at noon on Fox.

COYG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not a great start, but some momentum with a goal now.
This post was edited on 5/17 12:19 PM by NoleLizards

Standing around waiting for the ball to come to them, despite being aggressively marked; trademark Arsenal in a big game.

It's tough be to an Arsenal supporter sometimes.
dead.r191677.gif

Never thought I'd ever say this, but I miss Howard Webb. This center is terrible.

Arsenal should have had 4 PK's and Huddlestone should have been sent off in the second half.

Sanogo in a eye-opening performance today.

Arsenal should have had 4 PK's and Huddlestone should have been sent off in the second half.
Should coulda woulda. I could have said the same things about the refs in Chelsea's loss to Sunderland a few weeks back in a key EPL match. If you're dominating the match, you have to put the ball in the net and not rely on the refs to help you out.

Thanks, Liz. When I die, it'll be watching a match like that one. I'm exhausted.

All credit to Hull. They exposed how outdated Wenger's tactics are.

Best part is Wenger will raise a trophy this year, which the English Spurrier didn't do. Eat it, Jose.

Thanks, Manch. All in all a bittersweet season..a lot of what could have beens, but we did finish ahead of Hotpants again, secured CL and raised a trophy. Build some depth and get a quality striker, maybe they can improve on that next year.

Thanks, Manch. All in all a bittersweet season..a lot of what could have beens, but we did finish ahead of Hotpants again, secured CL and raised a trophy. Build some depth and get a quality striker, maybe they can improve on that next year.
Losing a world class defender in Sagna. That's gonna really hurt. So the Goons need a world class RB now too on top of a world class Striker. Also how will Walcott heal?

That said Remy would/will be a GREAT addition once he's (hopefully) signed. I don't know if he's world-class but he's damn close if not.

Walcott back next year hopefully still w/all his speed. Have to see about that though.

No idea who/how to replace Bacary though. Bummed to see him go. Consistently the best defensive right back in England and arguably in Europe, every year for the last 6 years. The upside is he's a terrible crosser of the ball and no matter who we get (I hate Jenkinson though, he is NOT the answer) it will be an upgrade over him offensively.

Originally posted by LesClaypool:

Losing a world class defender in Sagna. That's gonna really hurt. So the Goons need a world class RB now too on top of a world class Striker. Also how will Walcott heal?

That said Remy would/will be a GREAT addition once he's (hopefully) signed. I don't know if he's world-class but he's damn close if not.

Walcott back next year hopefully still w/all his speed. Have to see about that though.

No idea who/how to replace Bacary though. Bummed to see him go. Consistently the best defensive right back in England and arguably in Europe, every year for the last 6 years. The upside is he's a terrible crosser of the ball and no matter who we get (I hate Jenkinson though, he is NOT the answer) it will be an upgrade over him offensively.
Your last paragraph would be the exact opposite of how I would describe Sagna. i.e. he's a pretty damn good crosser of the ball and a terrible defender (at least in big games).

I can't take Sagna or Koscielny seriously. Arsenal needs a better defense IMHO

To me, there are many better right backs in England, and Europe.
Just several i'd pay a lot too over Sagna.
Walker, Zabaleta, Alves, Srna, Van der Wiel, Alaba(rb i think?), Carvajal was outstanding this season and just keeps getting better for Madrid, and of course Evertons Seamus Coleman, who IMHO is better than Baines already defensively and on his way to a huge contract in a few years.

Posted from wireless.rivals.com

This post was edited on 5/20 4:50 PM by kooterridesagain

Kyle Walker is awful. Nowhere near Sagna. The only RB in England I'd take over Sagna is Zabaleta, which raises the question of why City feels the need to pay 100k a week for a backup.

Originally posted by kooterridesagain:
I can't take Sagna or Koscielny seriously. Arsenal needs a better defense IMHO

To me, there are many better right backs in England, and Europe.
Just several i'd pay a lot too over Sagna.
Walker, Zabaleta, Alves, Srna, Van der Wiel, Alaba(rb i think?), Carvajal was outstanding this season and just keeps getting better for Madrid, and of course Evertons Seamus Coleman, who IMHO is better than Baines already defensively and on his way to a huge contract in a few years.

Posted from wireless.rivals.com

This post was edited on 5/20 4:50 PM by kooterridesagain
Alaba is a LB.

I'd take all other than Walker over Sagna. Although Dani Alves is very similar to Sagna in all O, no D.

Azpilicueta will be the best of the bunch when he shifts to RB permanently also.

I don't know I've seen Alves dominate la liga games defensively at right back and stay home a lot. I'd describe left back Marcelo as all offense to the point he even plays some left wing now.

Kyle walker won pfa young player of year award two years ago, IMHO a legit award that usually means future success. Still only 23.

Sagna has NO offensive ability whatsoever and never has. What are you guys talking about? Seriously?! Comparing him to Dani Alves is crazy. Alves has been consistently (arguably) the best offensive fullback in Europe for 5+ years.

He's (Bacary Sagna) a lockdown defender and that's it. Maybe you think he's a bad defender (which is equally crazy) but you CANT call him an offensive-minded fullback...and that is why City is interested...b/c Zabaleta IS an offensive-minded fullback, and City needs more offense as much as Eskimos need more ice.

And to whoever said you can't take Koscielny seriously...why not? Dude has been nails for Arsenal,the last two years. This sounds more like traditional arsenal disdain than it does objective analysis (which is fine). I fully expect him to be sold to Barcelona in the next year or two. They keep making overtures toward him, and we all know how much Arsenal loves to sell to Barca.

I'm an Argentina supporter but Zabaleta is benefitting from a rising tide raising all ships at City. Solid player, but i wouldn't pick him in a starting 11 for any team I was fielding. He's just plain average.

Les,
I'm guilty on Koscielny the human own goal critique, can't stand him. My aunt lives across from Emirates, literally offered money each year for away teams to use her garden for tailgating, and urinating, she also sent me pics from Wembley final. Point is, I love Emirates, amazing stadium even though it's nothing like Highbury where I never saw a game but have visited. Arsenal is my closet team can't help but root for on the side, was glad they won FA, but think Wenger is overrated these days and his scouting has gone in the toilet. I can tell u around The local papers Laurent is a polarizing center back.
Not great soccer iq, gets caught napping too much, below average skill to say the least, and distribution is solid, slow to recover if beaten, not that big or good in the air. He has heart and leaves it on the field, that's about it. Oh and pretty sure he has the most own goals in Europe over the last five years!

I'd rather have a 19 yr old like John Stones with an infinitely higher upside than Koscielny.
Mertesacker had a much better season and has been rewarded with awards, and sadly Vermsekens career was destroyed by injury he's just not the same. Arsenal IMHO won't win the trophies that matter until it upgrades it's defense and tweaks it's offense a bit. Hoping Wenger has an accidentally positive transfer summer for a change

Cool backstory, kooter!

I'm a kocs fan. I think you're thinking too much about the 8-2 debacle. EVERYONE looked horrendous in that match. He had a shaky start to his career for sure, but he's been great, not just good for the Goons since then. I'd take him over Mertesacker any day, though they're a great tandem. Injury hasn't ruined Verm's career...Koscielny has! Still hate it for Verm that he can't get a match though. I really like the guy.

Loic Remy to arsenal looks to be a done deal and will be a great addition. He is legit and will give the Goons another look at FW that they don't have now.

Theo was really starting to come into his own when he got hurt. Can he regain that form? I don't know. I'm skeptical.

Ox is going to be the breakout star for arsenal next year. He will do what Ramsey did this year, IMO. (I think wilshere is odd man out too). Hoping he (Ox) gets some minutes in Brazil. That guy has game-changing ability, and not just speed (like Theo always seemed to be limited to)

At CB, there's still Vermalean and we have Ignasi Miquel out on loan and that dude is a future starter at CB. That's one position I'm not scared of.

RB...all there is, is Carl Jenkinson. That is terrifying!

LB...Gibbs is fine, but Nacho Monreal is not,though not an awful backup...just that Gibbs seems to get hurt a lot so nacho gets more games than I'd like to see.

So we must sign a striker, RB, and LB, and I wouldn't mind another DM to takeover for arteta who is a step too slow to play in big matches against serious midfields.

Les,
I agree with pretty much everything else but cb.
Wilshire and Arteta def need upgraded. Ramsey needs a better pairing, a teammate with more technical skill in the middle to bring back the old brisker passing days. Wilshire has never been the same.
I thought oxlade would break out this year but he looks like he's lost confidence. Yarmolenko?
I can't figure Walcott out, he's so talented but inconsistent.
I liked Giroud but I'm not sure he or Benzema is the answer, they need a total stud up top in that system like a Cavani or if they had grabbed Falcao before injury.

You'd have loved vids from parade, can't share though they were off FB.

Silly season is (un)officially here. PSG signs David Luiz from Chelsea for a reported ?48 million. Sad to see him go, but for that money have to say goodbye (especially since he wasn't a full time starter).

Edit: not sure why the "pound symbol" is showing up as a reverse question mark.
This post was edited on 5/24 3:55 AM by Rishi

That's insane money.

CL final today, who u got?

If cr7 can go 90 I'll take Real 3-1.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT