ADVERTISEMENT

Another Voice of My Youth Gone. RIP Dick Enberg

DFSNOLE

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Sep 25, 2002
DeFuniak Springs Country Club
Hall of Fame broadcaster Dick Enberg dies at age 82

Dick Enberg, the Hall of Fame broadcaster whose "Oh my!" calls rang familiar with so many sports fans, has died, his wife and daughter confirmed Thursday night.

He was 82.

Enberg's daughter, Nicole, said the family became concerned when he didn't arrive on his flight to Boston on Thursday, and that he was found dead at his home in La Jolla, a San Diego neighborhood, with his bags packed. The family said it was awaiting official word on the cause of death but believed he had a heart attack.

Enberg was one of America's most beloved sports broadcasters, with his versatile voice spanning the world on networks such as NBC, CBS and ESPN. In all, he covered 28 Wimbledons, 10 Super Bowls and eight NCAA men's basketball title games, including the Magic Johnson-Larry Bird showdown in 1979.

His work was celebrated with a host of honors, including the National Baseball Hall of Fame's Ford C. Frick Award (2015), the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Rozelle Award (1999) and the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame's Gowdy Award (1995). He won 13 Sports Emmy Awards and a Lifetime Achievement Emmy. He received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, and UCLA named its media center in Pauley Pavilion after Enberg this year.

Most recently, Enberg had served as the primary play-by-play television voice of the San Diego Padres, retiring in 2016 after seven seasons with the team.

"Baseball," he said then, "has been in my DNA from the time I was in diapers."

The Padres released a statement Thursday night.

"We are immensely saddened by the sudden and unexpected passing of legendary broadcaster Dick Enberg," the statement read. "Dick was an institution in the industry for 60 years and we were lucky enough to have his iconic voice behind the microphone for Padres games for nearly a decade. On behalf of our entire organization, we send our deepest condolences to his wife, Barbara, and the entire Enberg family."

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/21842570/dick-enberg-beloved-broadcaster-dies-age-82

Hall of Fame broadcaster Dick Enberg dies at age 82

Dick Enberg, the Hall of Fame broadcaster whose "Oh my!" calls rang familiar with so many sports fans, has died, his wife and daughter confirmed Thursday night.

He was 82.

Enberg's daughter, Nicole, said the family became concerned when he didn't arrive on his flight to Boston on Thursday, and that he was found dead at his home in La Jolla, a San Diego neighborhood, with his bags packed. The family said it was awaiting official word on the cause of death but believed he had a heart attack.

Enberg was one of America's most beloved sports broadcasters, with his versatile voice spanning the world on networks such as NBC, CBS and ESPN. In all, he covered 28 Wimbledons, 10 Super Bowls and eight NCAA men's basketball title games, including the Magic Johnson-Larry Bird showdown in 1979.

His work was celebrated with a host of honors, including the National Baseball Hall of Fame's Ford C. Frick Award (2015), the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Rozelle Award (1999) and the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame's Gowdy Award (1995). He won 13 Sports Emmy Awards and a Lifetime Achievement Emmy. He received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, and UCLA named its media center in Pauley Pavilion after Enberg this year.

Most recently, Enberg had served as the primary play-by-play television voice of the San Diego Padres, retiring in 2016 after seven seasons with the team.

"Baseball," he said then, "has been in my DNA from the time I was in diapers."

The Padres released a statement Thursday night.

"We are immensely saddened by the sudden and unexpected passing of legendary broadcaster Dick Enberg," the statement read. "Dick was an institution in the industry for 60 years and we were lucky enough to have his iconic voice behind the microphone for Padres games for nearly a decade. On behalf of our entire organization, we send our deepest condolences to his wife, Barbara, and the entire Enberg family."

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/21842570/dick-enberg-beloved-broadcaster-dies-age-82

Met him and his wife four years ago.... extremely nice, down to earth, what is the epitome of class.

Growing up I had a game called Talking Football. It had a bunch of discs that allowed one person to call an offensive play and the other a defense. When the disc played, the voice was Dick Enberg.

He was great and the original "oh my" unlike that clown in hogtown who stole the phrase.

Never knew he got into sportscasting after taking his first teaching job at Cal State Northridge. Met my wife there.

Enberg was the voice of college basketball as it made its transition from a regional to a national passion. First as the voice of UCLA, and then on NBC as the sport evolved from a 25-team tournament to 48 teams by 1981, after which CBS took over as the primary broadcaster (with ESPN expanding coverage of the regular season). Enberg and McGuire stuck around to continue doing regular season games for NBC throughout the 80's and occasionally during the 90's, but he'll forever be the voice of college hoops during its "Old School" days of the 70's and early 80's....

mkjez5-b781087477z.120130331111555000g161d6rd3.2.jpg

Growing up I had a game called Talking Football. It had a bunch of discs that allowed one person to call an offensive play and the other a defense. When the disc played, the voice was Dick Enberg.

He was great and the original "oh my" unlike that clown in hogtown who stole the phrase.

I remember that game well. “Fumbled, high in the air...it’s up for grabs. The defense gets it.”

Bummer that he was getting ready to head to Boston to be with family. Quite a few notables have passed away. Curt Gowdy, Pat Summeral, plus the holy Trinity of Monday night football, Cosell, Meredith and Gifford.

R.I.P.

My most pertinent Enberg memory was from back when I was a Dolphins fan during a Miami/N.Y. Jets shootout. He got to say his catch phrase "Oh my!" several times just from Wesley Walker's exploits alone.

Reactions: hatsbo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT