ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone been to the Grand Canyon in April? (Updated with intinery)

Nole1nBoca

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Jan 16, 2003
Boca Raton, Florida
Thank You everyone for your comments. Please let me know if you can think of anything that is must see in these areas. We are leaving Monday.

Here is what we have planned:
Fly into Vegas, spend Mon Tues there on the Strip.
Wed, drive to Flagstaff with stops at the Dam and The Dam Bar in Kingman. From there take Rte 66 to Flagstaff. Not really sure if there is anything to see on Rte 66.
Thur Grand Canyon South Rim all day then to Kanab UT.
Fri Bryce Canyon and depending on time come back through Dixie Natl Forrest.
Sat Zion Natl Park back to Vegas. Downtown Vegas Sat night
Fly back Sun
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've read that April and October are best because the tourist crowd is low. We are planning on flying into Las Vegas then driving to the Grand Canyon for 2 days. Then drive back to Vegas by the northern route. Will there be too much snow at that time that it would hinder the travel to and from or at the Grand Canyon?

The next bucket list item is to take about two weeks to drive from Seattle to San Diego in one of those camper vans. But that is for next year after California gets back to normal.

Last edited:
We have done the Grand Canyon from the "Vegas side" and the "Phoenix side," on completely separate trips. Both are great, although we had a slight preference for the "southerly (Phoenix) approach." Absent some weather aberration, you should be fine in April or October. If you do the northern route, be sure to factor in time for the Hoover Dam. Beautiful country out there.

Reactions: goldmom
Yeah, we are planning the Hoover Dam. I was there last time about 25 years ago, i was just wondering about the snow at the Grand Canyon area. I want to go to the Dambar and Grille in Kingsman. Great place, I hope it is still there. At least we will both be vaccinated.

So are you planning on going to the North Rim and back or the South Rim and drive all the way around the GC to the north side and back to Vegas?
Also, the Dam Bar and Grill is in Page and the Dambar Steakhouse is in Kingman.

I've read that April and October are best because the tourist crowd is low. We are planning on flying into Las Vegas then driving to the Grand Canyon for 2 days. Then drive back to Vegas by the northern route. Will there be too much snow at that time that it would hinder the travel to and from or at the Grand Canyon?

The next bucket list item is to take about two weeks to drive from Seattle to San Diego in one of those camper vans. But that is for next year after California gets back to normal.
I've been to the Grand Canyon twice both times to the south rim. And both in April. Snow should not be an issue unless there is some freak event. You would likely have a greater chance of issues at the north rim due to the greater altitude. Also if you're coming in from the N.E. remember that the Navaho and Hopi indian reservations account for most of that quarter of Arizona. Not a big deal other than access to alcohol.

Reactions: Nole1nBoca
So are you planning on going to the North Rim and back or the South Rim and drive all the way around the GC to the north side and back to Vegas?
Also, the Dam Bar and Grill is in Page and the Dambar Steakhouse is in Kingman.
We are planning to go to the South rim, then drive back around the North. I've got an idea that I can maybe get a day of Spring Skiing in at Brian Head if they are still open. I think it was the Dambar Steakhouse in Kingman that I had gone to.

Thank You everyone for your responses.

Last edited:
Been there twice in October, once in late March, and once in February. Early spring is nice but cold overnight, and so is October. Need one more trip so I can see the North Rim. It should be a top 5 on everyone's bucket list. Enjoy!
Many of us deeply appreciate your itinerary update. Kinda gives me the fuzzies; even in March! Because of your valuable feedback, I just put it in my Top 5 in my bucket list of memorable and life changing things to do. And I will enjoy! Best of luck to you in your continuing endeavors! :cool:

Many of us deeply appreciate your itinerary update. Kinda gives me the fuzzies; even in March! Because of your valuable feedback, I just put it in my Top 5 in my bucket list of memorable and life changing things to do. And I will enjoy! Best of luck to you in your continuing endeavors! :cool:
😳

Yeah, we are planning the Hoover Dam. I was there last time about 25 years ago, i was just wondering about the snow at the Grand Canyon area. I want to go to the Dambar and Grille in Kingsman. Great place, I hope it is still there. At least we will both be vaccinated.
I haven’t been paying attention to the weather out west, and it may depend if you’re thinking early or late April. If they’ve had a lot of snow, the north rim might not be accessible. If I’m not mistaken, I think the north rim is about 1000 ft higher in elevation than the south rim. Also, (and this may be different now with COVID & travel restrictions), the first time I visited the Grand Canyon was early May...thought we’d miss the crowds from Spring break but before summer vacation...wrong. It was packed with foreign tourists. Regardless, it is worth going. I have never been at a loss for words when attempting to describe experiences in my life —- viewing the Grand Canyon remains the one experience where words are not adequate to describe its awesome beauty

We can check the weather before we come back on the North. Brian Head is closing on 4/18 this year so that may be out. Maybe see Bryce Canyon instead if the roads are passable. We are pretty open and can change plans on the fly. My GF hasn't seen the Grand Canyon so she will enjoy it all.

Went in May. Had friends in Scottsdale and started there. Headed up for stop in Sedona to see friends and then on to Southern Rim of Grand Canyon. Pictures don’t capture the true majesty of such breathtaking views. It’s a must see. Northern California is beautiful. Loved San Francisco but hear it’s not the same.

Went in May. Had friends in Scottsdale and started there. Headed up for stop in Sedona to see friends and then on to Southern Rim of Grand Canyon. Pictures don’t capture the true majesty of such breathtaking views. It’s a must see. Northern California is beautiful. Loved San Francisco but hear it’s not the same.
Yep Traveled north from the Phoenix metro area through the Sedona/Oak Creek Canyon way to Flagstaff area to The "Big Ditch". The Humphrey's peak roadway is pretty cool.
As to NorCal, never been to SFO or vicinity much to my loss I suppose. But inland from there is really amazing.

Reactions: goldmom
Yep Traveled north from the Phoenix metro area through the Sedona/Oak Creek Canyon way to Flagstaff area to The "Big Ditch". The Humphrey's peak roadway is pretty cool.
As to NorCal, never been to SFO or vicinity much to my loss I suppose. But inland from there is really amazing.
That's the route we took. Sedona is worth seeing for sure. Flagstaff is pretty cool.

Thank You everyone for your comments. Please let me know if you can think of anything that is must see in these areas. We are leaving Monday.

Wed, drive to Flagstaff with stops at the Dam and The Dam Bar in Kingman. From there take Rte 66 to Flagstaff. Not really sure if there is anything to see on Rte 66.
Fly back Sun
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out Buckskin Gulch - series of really cool slot canyons, not too far from Kanab, should be right on your route if my memory serves me right. You could try to get lucky and participate in the Wave lottery at the Kanab park ranger office - they limit the number of people there. Not sure how big into hiking y'all are. Antelope Canyon was closed because the reservation was shut down for visitors in October but we did a Kayak tour and were able to access it that way - highly recommend that too.

Last edited:
Just came through Flagstaff about 3 hours ago. 32 degrees and snowing pretty good.
Also got hailed on just south of Kingman. Lol.

Check out Buckskin Gulch - series of really cool slot canyons, not too far from Kanab, should be right on your route if my memory serves me right. You could try to get lucky and participate in the Wave lottery at the Kanab park ranger office - they limit the number of people there. Not sure how big into hiking y'all are. Antelope Canyon was closed because the reservation was shut down for visitors in October but we did a Kayak tour and were able to access it that way - highly recommend that too.
I'll check out Buckskin Gultch. My GF had fractured a bone in her knee so not much hiking. You should have seen her today after we walked from parking to the Hoover Dam! I was last at the Dam in about '95. I was shocked today how much lower the water is now.

Just came through Flagstaff about 3 hours ago. 32 degrees and snowing pretty good.
Also got hailed on just south of Kingman. Lol.
It's about 46 and clear getting down to 39. That system has passed. Won't mind seeing some snow, probably in Kanab. The Dambar in Kingman was pretty good. Great prime rib Reuben.

haha...sounds like when we were touring Versailles...and the Louvre
LoL, I'll let you know how the crowds are tomorrow. Love Flagstaff, reminds me if a college town. The people are real friendly and laid back (legal here). Not a lot of tourists around here. Funny thing is Avis gave me a car with Florida tags!

Reactions: Dr. Nole

Fly back Sun

For me, Bryce and Zion are the highlights. Lots of great day hikes or mountain biking.

We are doing Bryce tomorrow and Zion Saturday. But can't do much hiking, GF has a wounded knee.
If you are staying in Kanab, you will enjoy the drive into Zion from the east entrance.
Just as you leave Kanab to the north, there is a rafting company on the left called Grand Canyon Expeditions. My best friend's wife is a river guide for them. I highly recommend them if anyone ever wants to do a GC 8 day river trip.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT