ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else moving their kid into a dorm this weekend?

We will be empty nesters then as older kid up at college already.
I'm not sure what to make of that.

Yeah moving my daughter into the Woodlands. A little Thursday through Sunday excursion where it feels like I'm packing half of my damn house!

Will there be tears when you drive away? I drove away with a smile this time, but only because I'll be back for a bunch of home games.
From my wife, probably. (definitely) I'm ready.

He's only 1.5 hours away, and I drive through Chattanooga en route to Atlanta all of the time.

Not this weekend, but moving our son to the dorm at University of Maryland next Friday. Daughter will go in two years, and we look forward to not being school calendar captives! I can't wait to be able to go to places like the Outer Banks in September, etc.

Gotta enjoy those years before they boomerang back home after college. ;)

Wet dropped off daughter no. one in Plantation two weeks ago at Nova Southeastern and youngest is moving into her new place in hogtown as we speak er type...
Speaking of hogtown, I have spent more time in that place than I ever wanted to before,getting this place ready for her. I will not miss going down there once everything is done.

Reactions: LesClaypool
Thanks for the reminder that I should steer clear of anywhere close to campus this weekend.

Walking through the Walmart lawn center this week I noticed quite a stockpile of mini fridges. I think I’ll steer clear of retail this weekend too...

Reactions: runkpanole
OMG the dumpsters. Between kids moving out of apartments, owners cleaning out stuff and new kids coming in, the freaking dumpsters have been overflowing like 3x capacity easily.

Yep.....tomorrow morning off to Huntingdon College in Montgomery. Three hour trip for us.

Our oldest moves into Landis on 8/22.

Nature has a way with transitions... when he was in second grade we fretted about middle school; when middle school came it was no problem. Then we sweated bullets over our baby going to the massive high school, but he ran the place after the second week of freshman year.

I thought this would be a very emotional time as he goes off to college, but really, he has been enough of an a-hole this summer such that I would drop him off tomorrow if I felt like he could keep his computer dry while sleeping outside for the next week.

I’m sure there will be some parental angst next week but it is time for him to go, and it is easy to remember how fantastic life can be when you are 18 years old, so I am very happy for him and his station in life. Kid is living the dream.

Reactions: Bartdog
I thought this would be a very emotional time as he goes off to college, but really, he has been enough of an a-hole this summer such that I would drop him off tomorrow if I felt like he could keep his computer dry while sleeping outside for the next week.

Co-signed.

Meeting my son in Oxford Thursday to help set up his house. He's in Alabama at a lake with friends wrapping his summer up. Since my wife isn't going, we'll unpack in an hour, go play golf, have dinner and party a little afterwards. Back to the beach on Friday. I already miss him.

"Well, that's the difference between raising a son and a daughter.
All you do with a daughter is just try to keep her from getting screwed.
All you do with a son is try to keep him from screwing himself.
And that's a lot harder to do."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT