ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone ever take the Amtrack Auto Train?

Gonolz

Veteran Seminole Insider
Aug 6, 2002
Indian Rocks Beach
It runs from Sanford, Fl (north of Orlando) to Lorton, VA (south of D.C.). I usually drive back home to northern Virginia from Tampa Bay area for Christmas. I-95 always sucks. It takes much longer than it should (SC needs to renovate I-95 and add at least one lane). Flying sucks as well. I usually have a lot of presents to take and others to bring back and like to have a car while I am visiting.

I hadn't heard of the Auto Train, but it looks interesting. It would cost a little more than flying or driving, but no mileage on the car and can pack all I want in the car and have my car while I am there. It leaves Sanford at 4pm and arrives in Lorton at 9am.

https://www.amtrak.com/auto-train

It used to run up to somewhere in Massachusetts. One of my brothers married a chick from up there who used it years ago. I guess it now only goes up as far as Lorton.

I had a few friends use it on a motorcycle trip. They enjoyed it. Sprung for sleeping quarters.

Would go for the Sleeping quarters upgrade if available.

The Lounge car is a great spot to kill a few hours and put back a few drinks.

We have used it several times to get from DC to Florida. Lorton station is about 30 minutes from our home and 30 minutes from downtown DC. Samford station is not as convenient. It is about an hour to Disney because you have to go through downtown Orlando. You get on the train around 3pm and arrive the next morning around 9am. There is some extra waiting time on either end so they can load your car and get it off. You just carry on overnight bags on the train and everything else stays packed in your car. You get dinner and breakfast on the train. It is much better if you get a sleeper arrangement, but we have done it in the standard seats as well. It is more relaxing than driving, but allows you to pack your car rather than just suitcases for flying. Also saves car rental fees for a long trip. Depending on when you get your tickets, it can be a good value, although sometimes it is more expensive than flying and renting a car.

Reactions: HulaNole
Being we are so stuck to "I must have my car" and we need a vehicle in most places, maybe services like this are a start towards more use of mass transit for longer distance travel. Planes are easy, but are pretty much the only show in town to go half way across the country if you don't want to drive. I like the idea.

Being we are so stuck to "I must have my car" and we need a vehicle in most places, maybe services like this are a start towards more use of mass transit for longer distance travel. Planes are easy, but are pretty much the only show in town to go half way across the country if you don't want to drive. I like the idea.
Given it's an overnight train, the private room w/a bed is pretty much a must have. The price to get a "roomette" is pretty steep though. I mean, I post in the LR, so I can afford it...but how would a plebeian be able to pay for it?

It is actually kinda old school along the east coast. Lots of snowbirds have traveled with their cars this way north to south and vice versa depending on the season for decades.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I think it was like an additional $450-$600, on top of what you already have to pay to load your car on there, depending on which type of room you got.

So how much does it cost?

It is a lot like trying to figure out much airline tickets cost. It is never the same price twice. You have to buy tickets for each traveler plus pay a fee for the vehicle. The vehicle fee is around $175 one way. There are additional charges for sleeper accommodations, which can be very expensive. They also offer discounts for things like AAA, military, and senior citizens.

We took the train from Portland to Whitefish, MT and had a roomette. It was about $950 round trip. Not a car train, just Amtrak.

It is a lot like trying to figure out much airline tickets cost. It is never the same price twice. You have to buy tickets for each traveler plus pay a fee for the vehicle. The vehicle fee is around $175 one way. There are additional charges for sleeper accommodations, which can be very expensive. They also offer discounts for things like AAA, military, and senior citizens.
You will likely never see a lower price than $175 to move a vehicle over $800 Miles. I wonder if train travel these days is more civil than the airline circus?

I used it in the late 90s. There was a fire in the car where my car was. Luckily my car didn't burn up. One other was burned up bad. But they did have the windows open and the inside was cloaked in soot. It was an absolute mess. But they covered all of the costs to get it repaired without issue. I spent most of the trip in the lounge car chatting it up with strangers. I hardly slept. I really enjoyed it. It was a memorable trip.

Reactions: HulaNole
I did it from Boca to North Carolina in about 1992/3... long time ago. At that time it was cheaper than driving with gas.

I don't recall the details, I was like 16/17.

30some years ago, a young lass who I eventually made the luckiest lady in the world moved from DC (Washington) to DC (Dade City), coming down here on the auto train.

Reactions: billanole
30some years ago, a young lass who I eventually made the luckiest lady in the world moved from DC (Washington) to DC (Dade City), coming down here on the auto train.
Lucky lass, luckier lad...

I took it about 20 years ago. All the change was stolen out of my car. Didn't realize it until I was home.

I have a friend that used to take it on short, day trips from Deland, and hit up the drink car just to bs with random people. He's a friendly and quirky guy that enjoys that kinda stuff, but he swore that the people and stories he met and heard were awesome.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT