ADVERTISEMENT

Arrest made in FSU Law Prof Dan Markel murder case

And just as we were praising the City and the investigator for doing such a good job, out comes this nonsense.
If it was the judge who on his own motion unsealed the documents as was mentioned in the article, I'm not really sure you can fault the City or investigator.

Reading about this story reminds me of a murder of a post graduate student in California who was shot and killed by his father in law when the guy went outside after his mother in law rang the doorbell and left a potted plant outside and the guy step out to get the plant. He was in a bitter custody battle with his wife over his daughter in a divorce case. Wife tried to accuse him of molesting his daughter which the court rejected the accusation. Wife was the one who pushed her Dad and Mom to assist in her husband's murder

I freaking hate weak-minded people.

Instead of dealing with Life as adults, they choose an out that ruins the lives of an entire family.

The alleged accomplice Luis M. Rivera is apparently in federal custody on an unrelated charge. Which means he's not going anywhere pending charges being brought against him.

It is TPD's intent that he is to be charged.

Interesting.

SFNole

TPD is "not on speaking terms" with the Ex-Wife or her family...

SFNole

Reactions: MIKE_G
The fact that the mastermind(s) of the murder haven't been arrested yet is somewhat troubling. If they had enough to justify an arrest without the two trigger-men rolling over, it seems they would have done it already. My guess is they had Garcia and Rivera made for a long time now, but were putting off their apprehension so they could watch them and lock down the hire/payment connection with the ex-wife's family. They've likely had wiretaps in place on those two for months. When that didn't pan out, they went ahead and arrested them in furtherance of plan B: get them to roll over for a good deal (or perhaps they have the Adelsons wire-tapped, also, and hope the arrests of Garcia and Rivera will prompt them to talk to one another about their involvement).

The fact that the mastermind(s) of the murder haven't been arrested yet is somewhat troubling. If they had enough to justify an arrest without the two trigger-men rolling over, it seems they would have done it already. My guess is they had Garcia and Rivera made for a long time now, but were putting off their apprehension so they could watch them and lock down the hire/payment connection with the ex-wife's family. They've likely had wiretaps in place on those two for months. When that didn't pan out, they went ahead and arrested them in furtherance of plan B: get them to roll over for a good deal (or perhaps they have the Adelsons wire-tapped, also, and hope the arrests of Garcia and Rivera will prompt them to talk to one another about their involvement).
There has to be some payment transfer and phone calls to and from the Adelson's phones. I do wonder why they have waited to make the other arrests. Hope they have the Adelson's under surveillance.

Reactions: dmm5157
There has to be some payment transfer and phone calls to and from the Adelson's phones. I do wonder why they have waited to make the other arrests. Hope they have the Adelson's under surveillance.

If they are smart, payment will have been handled in relatively small, explainable cash installments over time. From what we've seen thus far, look for a personal check with "murder payment" in the memo field.

If they are smart, payment will have been handled in relatively small, explainable cash installments over time. From what we've seen thus far, look for a personal check with "murder payment" in the memo field.
Based on everything we have seen from all these morons involved I expect nothing less than "murder payment" in the memo line of the check.

Whoever dealt directly with Garcia and Rivera is likely shaking in his/her boots right now. At least one of those guys will roll. But even if Wendi Adelson knew about and approved the hit, I doubt she dealt directly with the hit men, and I doubt any arrested family member throws her under the bus.

Whoever dealt directly with Garcia and Rivera is likely shaking in his/her boots right now. At least one of those guys will roll. But even if Wendi Adelson knew about and approved the hit, I doubt she dealt directly with the hit men, and I doubt any arrested family member throws her under the bus.

Is she going to let her Brother or Father take the fall for her if she is really the one pulling the strings? I guess for someone willing to put out a hit on their ex-husband anything is possible.

I'm still wondering how much a hit like that goes for on the open market in South Florida... Any guesses? I would think $20k or so but I have no idea... thankfully.

SFNole

Is she going to let her Brother or Father take the fall for her if she is really the one pulling the strings? I guess for someone willing to put out a hit on their ex-husband anything is possible.

I'm still wondering how much a hit like that goes for on the open market in South Florida... Any guesses? I would think $20k or so but I have no idea... thankfully.

SFNole

"The FBI works undercover on an average of 70 to 90 murder-for-hire cases a year. According to bureau press releases, recent quoted fees have ranged from $25,000 to kill a spouse to $600 to kill a girlfriend."

SFNole
These guys were amateurs. May have been much less.

"The FBI works undercover on an average of 70 to 90 murder-for-hire cases a year. According to bureau press releases, recent quoted fees have ranged from $25,000 to kill a spouse to $600 to kill a girlfriend."

Meanwhile it costs about $17 million per murderer to arrest, prosecute and house them for life.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/14/study-average-cost-murder-tops-million.html

So maybe the government should just get on this Purge thing and save us some money.

How fast do you guys think the investigation moves from here? I gotta think that after that probable cause affidavit was released that things would have to move pretty quickly...

Having said that, watch it take another year or two before they can nail the responsible parties.

SFNole

FSU Law Professor, Dan Markel's case went from nothing happening to arrests and alleged family involvement. His wife's family allegedly had a role in hiring 2 people to kill him - link to article.

Funny, his wife's twitter profile doesn't mention anything about her alleged role. May need an update soon.

Wendi Adelson
@wendiadelson
Attorney. Author. Professor. Mommy. Former contortionist.

The real question is what do you do if you're the court currently employing her crazy %*^? Probably can't fire her yet, but I'm sure no one is happy working besides a "possible" murderer (or whatever you call someone who masterminds it). I know I wouldn't. It basically creates a hostile work environment. Time to send her home on "remote work" for the next couple of months.

Investigators worried that the wealthy suspects might flee.

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...rned-other-markel-suspects-may-flee/85348108/

Suspected co-defendants have the financial means to flee the country and to not return, and in fact, have already been discovered talking about leaving,” TPD’s legal counsel Theresa Flury wrote in a May 26 motion that successfully sought to have Sigfredo Garcia’s arresting documents sealed.

The dumbasses were caught talking about leaving!!

Willie Meggs is such a bitch... He just can't resist any chance to take a jab at TPD...

Can he just please go away already?

However, State Attorney Willie Meggs disputed Flury's version of events. He said his office would have neither objected to the motion being filed nor to a judge signing it, but to imply there wasn’t an opportunity for police to talk prosecutors about the matter is untrue.

"We are here and are in touch and have been in touch with them 24 hours a day and seven days a week," Meggs said. "It would be more accurate to say TPD did not take the opportunity to talk with us."

How about you just shut your trap for once?

SFNole

Just in case it was in doubt that Willie Meggs is a bitch there's this:

The concern over unsealing the document revealed friction between the two law enforcement agencies. DeLeo said he had no idea the seal was going to be lifted Thursday.

Meggs said once someone is arrested and provided the investigative information police have compiled against them, records become public even if co-defendants have not been taken into custody.

"We are in agreement that you can seal the probable cause until such time as the person is arrested," he said. "Once you give it to the defendant, my position is that it becomes a public record. The cat is out of the bag at that point."

Omg we should have ousted him decades ago. How did he keep getting elected?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT