ADVERTISEMENT

Assistant coach news and nuggets (1/4 - 10:30 a.m. Update)

Dot Com

Owner and administrator of Warchant.com
Mar 29, 2002
Tallahassee, Florida
warchant.com
Wanted to start a new thread to share what we are hearing when it comes to Florida State's assistant coaches.

Jan. 4 - 10:30 a.m. - Not a whole lot new to get into but wanted to share what we've been hearing. By now you know that special teams coach Alonzo Hampton has been let go. That of course opens up another spot on the coaching staff. The big question is whether the opening will be filled by another full-time special teams coach or another position on the staff.

There's apparently buzz on social media that the opening could go to a defensive back coach to help defensive coordinator Harlon Barnett. This is something I've been saying for a while since it makes a ton of sense - Barnett has to coach a dozen or more players in addition to coordinator duties. I want to make clear that this isn't something I've directly heard from a source yet, it just makes a lot of sense based on what we are hearing.

Part of what we are hearing it that there will probably be at least three more changes on the staff. Putting on my detective hat these changes might be - OL coach Randy Clements, WR coach Ron Dugans and a DBs coach (TBA).

Really expect most, if not all of the coaching staff changes, to be resolved by next week.

----------

Jan. 1 - 10:30 a.m. - Main thing we are hearing now is that there's a good chance that former Miami wide receivers coach, and former FSU player, Ron Dugans will be hired to coach wide receivers at Florida State. We confirmed that new offensive coordinator Kendal Briles has already approved the hire so it sounds likely and would probably happen by next week. Here is Dugan's full bio from the official Miami site.

The only potential holdup to the hire might be the difficulties imposed by new NCAA rules when it comes to rolling a one-year assistant (current WRs coach David Kelly) into the support staff. Ira wrote about this situation a few weeks ago, but I'm guessing FSU has come up with a possible solution. If the hire happens, it should be announced by next week.

There isn't too much else solid to offer at this point. I'm very aware there is some Twitter noise about current FSU defensive coordinator Harlon Barnett potentially being replaced. I never say never because things we don't expect happen all the time in college football but I've heard zilch about Barnett's job being in jeopardy from our sources.

It still seems very likely that Houston OL coach Randy Clements will join Briles on the offensive staff. Likely because we are in a dead period there's no hurry to push through the hire. Still not hearing anything definitive on current OL coach Greg Frey. Sounding more like he could stay on as a co-OL coach with Clements but it also wouldn't surprise me if he moves on. If Frey stays it would create an issue with current TEs coach Telly Lockette, since it's expected that Frey would coach tackles and tight ends. If that happens the offensive staff would really have to be reshuffled. One scenario: Lockett moves to RBs and Donte’ Pimpleton would move elsewhere, support staff, or is out. This is just speculating on my end as I haven't specifically heard that this is happening.

We will keep you updated with what we hear on the assistant coaching front.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News