ADVERTISEMENT

award shows are ruining television

Status
Not open for further replies.

d'ster

Veteran Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 24, 2005
just another reason to not watch, oh yeah, pro bowl sucked too lol. no tackling, come on man

In my 54 years on earth, I've watched a grand total of one awards show - happened to be home babysitting a nephew the night of the ESPYs when Jimmy V gave his stirring speech. I've never watched one of the shows where stars of the screen, tv, stage or radio gather to applaud each other.

You should do the same.

just another reason to not watch, oh yeah, pro bowl sucked too lol. no tackling, come on man
How did a show that you almost certainly didn't watch, "ruin television?"

I didn't watch it either, but I fail to see how the mere existence of an award show has any effect on TV at all, let alone "ruins" it.

Fill me in, d'ster.

How did a show that you almost certainly didn't watch, "ruin television?"

I didn't watch it either, but I fail to see how the mere existence of an award show has any effect on TV at all, let alone "ruins" it.

Fill me in, d'ster.
I agree. 300 channels and this awards show was on one of them. Maybe E! also had some coverage. That leaves 298 channels. TV seems like it'll survive to me.

I'm not sure what the appeal of awards shows are (they don't appeal to me, but my wife loves them), however, they've been going on for ages and a bunch of people seem to enjoy them. Not sure how this is a surprise of what content might be present in awards shows. And that goes for what the demographic is for them. There isn't just one type. Kids awards, Country awards, BET awards, Latin awards, not sure why some people get up in a tizzy these days over what other people are doing or watching. No one is making anyone watch, there are a bazillion channels and streaming video choices. Change the channel.

359-black-sheep-lemming.jpg

wanted to watch for the enjoyment of music but people are making it a platform, I don't feel that an entertainment show is a place for that. I miss worded ruining TV, maybe ruining awards shows. Similar to no tackling in the pro bowl, unwatchable.

There was no tackling in the Pro Bowl? You're kidding right?? I mean I remember watching years ago and there was no rushing the kicker/punter and no blitzing, but no tackling? Did they wear flags?

Last edited:
wanted to watch for the enjoyment of music but people are making it a platform, I don't feel that an entertainment show is a place for that. I miss worded ruining TV, maybe ruining awards shows. Similar to no tackling in the pro bowl, unwatchable.
That's great, but tell us how the Grammys ruined the other 1,000+ viewing options last night.

One funny thing was the little digs by the commentators of the golf tournament. The final round was running late and the start of the grammys was up against it. Same network. They kept saying how the limos were lined up with the engines running waiting for the tourney to end.

You do realize that music has always been a platform for airing personal, social, and political issues. It's at the very heart of the art form.

This is like saying "that oblong ball is running football."

My advice, change the channel or deal with it. Or better yet go for a run and enjoy the outdoors.

I had a simple solution...I didn't watch. We watched Shameless, which by the way was meh this season.

I get Ostrich's point. I definitely abstain from any award show of any kind, save maybe AVN. The issue I have is that there's no escaping all the talk about whatever happened, who said what, etc. Any radio station I turn on talks about it, whatever news I decide to watch has a segment about it. And not just the day after (today), but for weeks on end it seems.

Not gonna attempt to decipher or speak on OP's behalf, but I think that might be somewhere along the lines that the post was headed.

You do realize that music has always been a platform for airing personal, social, and political issues. It's at the very heart of the art form.

This is like saying "that oblong ball is running football."

My advice, change the channel or deal with it. Or better yet go for a run and enjoy the outdoors.
OP is a special one whose opinion is of such value that he must share it with us.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is another angle here. Music is a forum for message. It's an expressive art and the musicians are artists. Sure, some are just shallow, vapid and without much substance. Still, over time, many musicians have been at the center of politics. If you listen to music, you're getting exposed to a message. Often times, we gravitate towards music that matches our perspective, but not always.

Maybe sometimes we don't like being reminded of what artists we listen to (or don't listen to) find important and are pushing with their music. But that's what it's always been about.

I get where people say "sports is not a place for politics!" even thought history has shown the two are often intertwined.

With music, there's no such line. Politics have always been a part of music, always will be. And an award show focused on music and artists will always have that rub off. Asking for it to not be would be censorship, wouldn't it?

If one doesn't like the message, and that's certainly understandable, then not watching is the solution. Again, nothing new here.

Last edited:
These award shows are not ruining TV, they are in fact indicative of the overwhelming rest of the garbage that is on TV.

I find it nearly impossible to find something worth watching on TV every single day.

Reactions: noleclone2

This is one reason why I record all tv shows and watch them later. You don't have to waste your time with stupid commercials, commentary, etc. and you have more time to watch other things. I even record most football games (except FSU) and watch later. You can reduce a 3 hour game to about 1 hour.

Reactions: jim65 and daveynole
With music, there's no such line. Politics have always been a part of music, always will be. And an award show focused on music and artists will always have that rub off. Asking for it to not be would be censorship, wouldn't it?
This is why many of history's most oppressive and least free regimes have been so quick to discredit, silence, or imprison musicians, artists, and cultural elite. Their free speech presents a tremendous threat to controlling 'the message'.

There is another angle here. Music is a forum for message. It's an expressive art and the musicians are artists. Sure, some are just shallow, vapid and without much substance. Still, over time, many musicians have been at the center of politics. If you listen to music, you're getting exposed to a message. Often times, we gravitate towards music that matches our perspective, but not always.

Maybe sometimes we don't like being reminded of what artists we listen to (or don't listen to) find important and are pushing with their music. But that's what it's always been about.

I get where people say "sports is not a place for politics!" even thought history has shown the two are often intertwined.

If one doesn't like the message, and that's certainly understandable, then not watching is the solution. Again, nothing new here.

Grammy ratings hit all time lows!

Reactions: d'ster and Mugsy101
A “Bloated,” Grammy Awards Ratings Crash: Down 24% From 2017.

Grammy ratings hit all time lows!

Point being?

I don't see how the two are related. Doing what one feels is the right thing to do doesn't always mean it's the popular thing (most times it's unpopular). Ratings just mean there were not a lot of people that wanted to watch or were not interested in the content.

As another point of content not being dictated by popularity, look at the top rated shows right now. Big Bang Theory, NCIS, The Good Doctor, Young Sheldon. I wouldn't qualify those as great shows, yet that's what people are watching. I also have never considered the Grammy's as particularly entertaining either. I don't think I've ever watched it.

This thread wasn't about ratings, it was about award shows ruining TV.

Out of curiosity, I Googled Grammy ratings and looked at noticed a trend of who was posting about this one Twitter. Telling.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
In my 54 years on earth, I've watched a grand total of one awards show - happened to be home babysitting a nephew the night of the ESPYs when Jimmy V gave his stirring speech. I've never watched one of the shows where stars of the screen, tv, stage or radio gather to applaud each other.

You should do the same.

I have less years of skipping the awards shows, but I haven't watched one yet so my batting average is better. I find them to be silly at best, more likely self-congradulatory grandstanding. It would help to know the winners if you want to be on Jeopardy though.

I don't think they are ruining tv, I think they are just another crappy tv option, I skip. Especially with how much donations seem to influence Academy Award selections.

Sooner are later these overpaid entertainers are going to know nobody cares.

WHile I hate to say this, I think there are a ton of people who do care. Ignoring the entertainment arena where IMO they view the general population as an us versus them, I think a ton of people really do care and follow them. Both from the number of website and magazines that are focused on the entertainment industry, we have entire television channels that focuses on them. I'd also lump professional athletes into the same entertainer category as music and movies/tv. Hell, Perez Hilton become a "star" because he was obsessed with following stars!

While Grammy viewing was the lowest, it still drew 19.8 million.

I miss the good old days when nice bands like NWA were on singing patriotic anthems!

I prefer my bands to be without politics. Good old timey bands like the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan and Jim Hendrix, Bob Marley and Pink Floyd, John Lennon and Creedence Clearwater Revival, Bruce Springsteen and U2, Megadeth and Rush, Rage Against The Machine and Muse, System of a Down and Publix Enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT