ADVERTISEMENT

Baby Seminoles vs Team Mexico – 1969

seminolehawk1956

All-ACC
Gold Member
Oct 4, 2009
I enjoyed reading this week about our freshmen team and their trip to Mexico in 1969 to play Team Mexico in the 1968 Olympic Stadium. A freshman team against a National team, how about that? We won 20-14 in what I guess was our first football game played on international soil. In thinking about that game, I came away with two thoughts:

Firstly, our coaching staff was literally willing to go to the ends of the world to get an edge. In 1969, when it came to American football, Mexico City had to be close to that point. I think that’s’ what made football in the 1960’s so appealing and why so many of us enjoyed it so much. Sure, our facilities, budget, etc. probably were not in the top 100, but our teams were somehow in the top 25. We were primed to beat anybody at any time, and I expected us to win every game we played. It was a thrill a minute.

Secondly, our 1969 freshmen team was loaded. Gary Huff, who became an All-American quarterback was on the team but did not start against Team Mexico. Rick Muscarella was the starter and threw for over 300 yards. Barry Smith, another future All-American, had 11 catches for 219 yards and two touchdowns. J.T. Thomas, owner of four Super Bowl rings, had two catches for 79 yards and a score. Our guys had been in camp for about a month and produced at least 400 yards of total offense. Again, this was all back in the era of “three yards and a cloud of dust”. As varsity players, that group would finish no worse than 7-4 in any season and play in the first ever Fiesta Bowl.

I’m not sure how to post the article, but it was in the Tallahassee Democrat. Definitely worth a read.

Reactions: LanierNole and CP60
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News