ADVERTISEMENT

Be honest...

goldmom

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Jacksonville
Someone started a thread on the TC about their child getting an academic scholarship to FSU, which led to several of us saying we couldn't get into FSU today.
I'm in that group, but I admitted I did help us establish our party reputation...:D

Were you in that group too? I'm just glad I graduated. I'm no dummy but I was the ultimate slacker.
Yes, if I had it to do over I would have studied...even just a little more.
Oh....the shame....:oops:

I was definitely in "that group".

I was way too social in high school...had a great time and basically scraped by.
Applied to FSU in 1980 with just over a 3.0 and was accepted.
Failed my 1st math test once I got there and had my "come to Jesus" moment and got my act together.

I wouldn't even be able to apply to FSU these days.

I'm in that group although I did study buy I also partied. I don't think I could get in now. I had good grades in HS but not a 4.0. I guess I'd end up at UCF these days. :(

I think the median ACT for this coming fall was 29-32 and the GPA was around a 4.5. It's crazy. My oldest daughter applied for the summer and was accepted. It was obviously our first time with the college admissions in quite a few years and very eye opening. I don't know what the kids that have the 3.8 GPA and make a 26 on the ACT, which is very good, are supposed to do?? A few of them may get into UCF or USF, but their numbers are increasing yearly as well. It may be just silly in a few years.

Someone started a thread on the TC about their child getting an academic scholarship to FSU, which led to several of us saying we couldn't get into FSU today.
I'm in that group, but I admitted I did help us establish our party reputation...:D

Were you in that group too? I'm just glad I graduated. I'm no dummy but I was the ultimate slacker.
I was definitely in the group you describe. Made good grades in high school, not great, but did well on the standardized tests. I never really learned how to study.
My best break was exempting freshman English...…...I don't know that I would have passed it.
And college was my first glimpse of freedom. Yay it was fun :)

I was definitely in the group you describe. Made good grades in high school, not great, but did well on the standardized tests. I never really learned how to study.
My best break was exempting freshman English...…...I don't know that I would have passed it.
And college was my first glimpse of freedom. Yay it was fun :)
You just described me to a tee. Catholic school rigidity and the NO rules, and I exempted my English requirements too.

Reactions: MagNoleA
Are you kidding, I went to the smallest public HS in the state at that time, got a partial baseball scholarship to a juco in Marianna (Chipola) lost it because of grades due to partying, and after 2 years I was still a freshman. I can't imagine how bad it would have been if I had went to FSU. With the same mindset I had back then I would have been a wasted shell of a human being. It was bad enough when a bunch of the BB players would go over there for the various party scenes. I could have easily been accepted into to FSU back then with my grades but no way I could have today.

Reactions: goldmom
When I went to school you couldn't make higher than a 4.0 - now they're coming in with fantasy GPAs like 4.78!

Bottom line we were smarter than today's youngsters they are just faking it lol
I kinda do wonder about this. Like how can every school now be so much harder to get into than it was? Admittedly I put in almost 0 effort in high school and still finished with a GPA of like 4.27 (this only ranked 30th out of 300ish) so I guess maybe now things are more competitive so I would have had to push myself?

With my GPA, probably not.

But then again, the way grades are inflated nowadays I'd probably have a 4.97 or something weird like that.

Reactions: Dr. Nole

Well, well, we’ll Hannah... no shame, no shame! You added spice to college life and kept great company.

I graduated high school in 1990 with a 3.0 gpa and barely over 1000 SAT. I was in honors classes, so that and the fact I was Sports Editor for the school paper probably pushed me over the top. Otherwise I was looking at USF. I always joke the admissions office today would laugh at my resume, then pass it around the office for others to laugh at.

Yes, I was pretty much in that group. I played in the Marching Chiefs every fall and my grades suffered for it (but it was worth it). I majored in accounting and decided about the middle of my senior year that I really didn't like it that much, but I pushed through it. Fortunately, I have never had to work as an accountant (no offense to the accountants out there).

You just described me to a tee. Catholic school rigidity and the NO rules, and I exempted my English requirements too.
Well that's just super! ;)I passed the same English test and was able to avoid many term papers.... And I have no idea how/why. My major and minor was the study of "The Phyrst" and its various effects on one's formidable years.... I was often over served there and was banned on a couple of heavily disputed misunderstood occasions. While patronizing this fine upstanding establishment, we did our best in conversing with co-eds in such a proper, gentleman like approach. Yet, we would often lament for the "One that got away!" :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: goldmom
I was even surprised when i was accepted in 99.
I was a smart kid in honors and ap classes and had a lot of extracurrical activities. However, I missed weeks upon weeks of school throughout my 4 years of high school, resulting in my grades sufferering big time. The make up work would pile up in mounds. People used to joke that they would see me at the re-union one day still making up a test or classwork. Luckily FSU wasn’t as stringent back then but also took a chance on me.

Last edited:

I think its a little revisionist. Kids today have a lot more chances for making a 4.5 or 5 for an A, and they teach college level/AP stuff a lot easier for most of them now. These kids are not any smarter than we were, and many are even lazier. It's more a matter of grade inflation.

Last edited:
I transferred in from TCC back in '99. I was unaware that when you transfer your GPA does not come with you. So while I left TCC with a 3.8 I started FSU with a 0.0. That semester I truly discovered what a party school is and finished my first semester with a 1.something. I used all my drops right off the bat and had to actually study the rest of the time I was there......Probably why I am in a sales based business now.

I am not quite sure how I made it into FSU. I graduated high school with a gpa in the 2’s and never took the Sat or any other exam.

I went to community college and transferred over to FSU in 2001without an AA. I think it was orientation and some administrator made a comment to me about how did I get admitted with these transcripts?

I stated I don’t know I applied and got a congrats letter so here I am. Graduated FSU 2 years later.

I think its a little revisionist. Kids today have a lot more chances for making a 4.5 or 5 for an A, and they teach college level/AP stuff a lot easier for most of them now. These kids are not any smarter than we were, and many are even lazier. It's more a matter of grade inflation.
Exactly right. The students are not smarter. That's one reason the SAT has been "re-normed" at least 3 times because SAT grades kept falling and it was embarrassing the schools. And you'd be shocked how much grading rubrics have changed. Some teachers make turning in homework and 'class participation' 50-80% of a students grade. And if you spent anytime reading papers written by even Honors or AP students, it would make you cry. Or maybe laugh. Depending on your personality.

Reactions: AllNoles

I would have gotten in and may have still earned a full academic scholarship. I was a “slacker” in high school, amassing a rather larger number of absences from class my senior year. But, I tested well, my gpa wasn’t bad, and I had an interesting array of extracurricular activities.

I spent my senior year in high school as an exchange student, got into Dartmouth, came home, and my parents told me they didn't have the money to send me to Dartmouth - both had undergraduate and graduate degrees from
NYU :(. I went to the lock community college in NY and got an associates degree in biology (2.5 GPA) - barely. I mostly majored in...party. I took a year off and worked to make enough. money to continue my education and got into the University of Texas and FSU. There is no way I would have gotten in based on today's standards. I grew up a lot I the year I worked and realized I was paying for something so I'd better get serious. I changed majors to business/accounting and graduated from FSU with a 3.8 GPA. Glad I got serious and glad I chose Tallahassee over Austin ;)

I started in 09. It was close to a slam dunk when I got in, but when I see the numbers today, I would be on the left side of the curve. It’s crazy how competitive FSU has become in a very short time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT