ADVERTISEMENT

Been thinking about getting an Echo Dot

FSU&WFU Grad

Walk-on
Jun 1, 2003
Thought it might be nice to have in a couple of rooms in the house for convenience and to play music. Have had mixed feelings about it especially with privacy.
Assume it is enabled via WiFi and each one would operate independently. Wondered what folks here thought about this product. Apologize if this has been a frequent previous topic..

30 x 3,,,more than most

5101S6E0FQL.jpg

You can use multiple Echos as intercom systems to talk with someone in another room. Furthermore, you can use the Alexa app on your phone to “call” echos in your house as well.
The Alexa term is “drop in”.

I've got two Google Homes, parents have an Echo, so I've done some testing across both to see strengths and weaknesses.

When it comes to answering random questions like "How do you convert a powerpoint presentation to a video file" the Google Home definitely wins.

I've got two Google Homes, parents have an Echo, so I've done some testing across both to see strengths and weaknesses.

When it comes to answering random questions like "How do you convert a powerpoint presentation to a video file" the Google Home definitely wins.

And they're both better than Siri, that bitch doesn't know anything.

And they're both better than Siri, that bitch doesn't know anything.
Other than "Siri set an alarm for 6:45am tomorrow," Siri is downright useless.

IMO Apple needs to step up its commitment to creating a top quality personal assistant or integrate its devices with Alexa and or Google Assistant, both of which are leaps and bounds ahead of Siri.

Siri will go the way of Apple Maps and Apple Music. Pre-installed crap that no one has much use for. If I could change the long press on my home button from Siri to Google Assistant I'd do it in a split second.

Reactions: BelemNole
I've got two dots, an echo, a touch and one smart plug. They all work great.

If you are worried about being listened to, it's probably time to throw out your cell phone and laptop, for starters.

Reactions: squiffynole
Got 4 dots, sonos with echo in kitchen, fire cube by main tv. Love the drop in feature to speak with kids rooms. Like said above, if you are worried about listening to your house, get rid of all technology now.

I’m sure the Russians and Chinese will love your conversations LOL

It’ll be the Americans listening in, and I guess it’s been normalized at this point because no one talks about it going away anytime ever.

It’ll be the Americans listening in, and I guess it’s been normalized at this point because no one talks about it going away anytime ever.
That’s bc we have a government that is relatively decent over the past however many decades.

If our govt ever wound up in a real tyrant or dictator’s hands people would really regret being so apathetic about surveillance and their data.

Thinks won’t always be so rosy, centuries of human history tell us it’s almost a certainty.

Here's my $.02... buy an actual speaker that has Alexa connectivity built in. JBL and Sonos both make them. I don't know from first hand knowledge how they sound but I backed out of buying the 1st gen dot because of poor sound reviews.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
Here's my $.02... buy an actual speaker that has Alexa connectivity built in. JBL and Sonos both make them. I don't know from first hand knowledge how they sound but I backed out of buying the 1st gen dot because of poor sound reviews.

We have a 1st and 3rd gen Echo Dot. Big difference in performance from sound perspective.

With 1st gen, it is just ok with the voice recognition and the sound was bad. Tiny sound, very crackly. I got it for free with my Fire TV Box back when the dot was first released so I just bought a portable speaker for the Puck to sit in. Sounds great now. We take it with us outside onto the patio or to the beach and listen to music via Bluetooth since the speaker enclosure is battery powered.

This year we got the 3rd gen dot for $20 and I was blown away with how much better it sounds. Much better with hearing your commands as well.

We only use ours for listening to music and for timers/reminders.

Friend of ours just spent a ton of money getting his whole house set up with Sonos system with Alex to control his lights, thermostat, etc. Ended up having a bunch of trouble with the system, said it didn't work as well as just regular old Echo dots, so they returned the system and went with indivual Echos in each room.

We got the one with a video screen and bought one for the grandparents. They love being able to video chat with the little one

We got the one with a video screen and bought one for the grandparents. They love being able to video chat with the little one

I'm interested in useful features for my elderly parents, anything else you use it for?

I'm interested in useful features for my elderly parents, anything else you use it for?

primarily music and recipes/cooking demonstrations as well as making grocery lists that uploads to the phone

This might give you some ideas.

https://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/amazon-echo-for-seniors

I set up an echo show at my BIL's mom's house. She's in her mid 80 and lives alone. She's hard of hearing and often doesn't answer phone calls. I set it up so now he or his siblings can just "drop in" on her if they just want to check on her. He can also set up reminders for her using the Alexa app so she doesn't miss things like doctors appts, etc. Of course, she gave me permission to set up her kids with this type of access to her.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT