ADVERTISEMENT

Blistering Cold this Weekend in Tallahassee (and Much of Florida)

Supposed to be 23 in the 850 on Saturday night. My extreme story is that we have a neighbor at the river who doesn't allow their dog in the house, even in the cold. We've adopted him while we're there on weekends, but we may not be there this weekend. I'm trying to figure out what I can do about taking care of the pup. :confused:

Last edited:
Supposed to be 23 in the 850 on Saturday night. My extreme story is that we have a neighbor at the river who doesn't allow their dog in the house, even in the cold. We've adopted him while we're there on weekends, but we may not be there this weekend. I'm trying to figure out what I can do about to take care of the pup. :confused:
You gotta go....sorry, nothing is more important than a freezing dog. Or toss me your keys, and directions, and maybe I'll do it.

You gotta go....sorry, nothing is more important than a freezing dog. Or toss me your keys, and directions, and maybe I'll do it.
I hear ya. Hubby and I are working on a plan, one of which may be to go the river and bring him home with us for the weekend. He's the sweetest dog and literally lives with us when we're there. Wonder what the penalty is for dognapping these days?

I hear ya. Hubby and I are working on a plan, one of which may be to go the river and bring him home with us for the weekend. He's the sweetest dog and literally lives with us when we're there. Wonder what the penalty is for dognapping these days?
What kind of pup? Send pix. The "owners" won't mind a bit if you take him for 24-48 hours. And no one will charge you for saving a neglected animal's life.

But I still need keys and directions to the "river house." :)

I've never been able to figure out how to post pics on here. I've tried in the Technical Board. Nada. Anyway, he's about 70 pounds of Heinz 57, but handsome as can be. Super well behaved and good natured.

Start in Sopchoppy, follow the Ochlockonee River until you get close to the 319 bridge . . .
Honestly thought you were talking about me: "...handsome as can be. Super well behaved and good natured." Turns out no. Sad. :)

My kid’s german shepherd likes to crap in bushes. I expect to receive random pictures of elevated frozen 💩

Reactions: EvilTwin
I remember a few years back we got a dusting of snow and everyone in the panhandle freaked out put sand on all the bridges and closed everything down for a day or two.
never let a good opportunity to overreact go to waste! according to my local news it's going to be raining iguanas this weekend. i may require a helmet for safety.

Uh yeah, sounds like that should be your dog. Wtf. It’s one thing to have a dog outside most of the time but it’s literally animal cruelty in the dead of summer or extreme winter conditions. That’s bullshit.

Uh yeah, sounds like that should be your dog. Wtf. It’s one thing to have a dog outside most of the time but it’s literally animal cruelty in the dead of summer or extreme winter conditions. That’s bullshit.
There's a story about how he came to live with the neighbors. He wasn't their dog originally. While I don't disagree with what you're saying, neither of them grew up with pets and weren't dog people. They have truly tried to do what's right for the dog, but being in the house is a no go for them. In the time he's been with them, they've had him neutered and started him on heartworm and flea meds. My dogs are my kids, but not everybody feels that way. Hubby and I have a plan and we're working on it!

I'm hearing and seeing "teens" this weekend in 850. Post your most extreme stories here. Someone always has a doozie. :)
I suppose I could bring up the once in 100 years -2 degrees we had last Feb. here in DFW.
Had to fix and outside frozen/broken pipe (my fault) on the warmer 20 degree next day with 5" of snow on the ground.
Brrrrr.

There's a story about how he came to live with the neighbors. He wasn't their dog originally. While I don't disagree with what you're saying, neither of them grew up with pets and weren't dog people. They have truly tried to do what's right for the dog, but being in the house is a no go for them. In the time he's been with them, they've had him neutered and started him on heartworm and flea meds. My dogs are my kids, but not everybody feels that way. Hubby and I have a plan and we're working on it!
Sounds like the neighbors would be thrilled for you to take the dog for the weekend.

Sounds like the neighbors would be thrilled for you to take the dog for the weekend.
I've already asked for permission to do so. Hubby says that's totally unlike me because I find it easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission. Trying not to overstep our boundaries for the sake of good neighborly relations. 😉

I've already asked for permission to do so. Hubby says that's totally unlike me because I find it easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission. Trying not to overstep our boundaries for the sake of good neighborly relations. 😉
Lovely. I am canceling the news truck that I had earlier dispatched to your river house. Nothing to see, folks.....

• Haha
Reactions: EvilTwin
I suppose I could bring up the once in 100 years -2 degrees we had last Feb. here in DFW.
Had to fix and outside frozen/broken pipe (my fault) on the warmer 20 degree next day with 5" of snow on the ground.
Brrrrr.
1991 Cotton Bowl against TAMU was maybe the coldest I've ever been in my life.

Noles won 10-2. Absolutely miserable in every respect.

Lovely. I am canceling the news truck that I had earlier dispatched to your river house. Nothing to see, folks.....
I appreciate the support, truly. I've never understood the "it's just a dog" mentality, but a lot of people don't understand why I have six dogs. 🤷🏻‍♀️

never let a good opportunity to overreact go to waste! according to my local news it's going to be raining iguanas this weekend. i may require a helmet for safety.

I know that's a real thing, but it's kinda sad to me. 😕

Reactions: GbrNole
Supposed to be 23 in the 850 on Saturday night. My extreme story is that we have a neighbor at the river who doesn't allow their dog in the house, even in the cold. We've adopted him while we're there on weekends, but we may not be there this weekend. I'm trying to figure out what I can do about taking care of the pup. :confused:
Can you shoot the owner and take the dog?

I saw 10 degrees once on the big thermometer at the old JR store on Jefferson across from Sigma Nu.

Reactions: squiffynole
DFW is miserable when it decides to go all winter on you. Supposed to get some snow there in a couple of days, I think.
But then it'll be 75 two days later. Sort of like the Florida panhandle.
Probably some light flurries up around the Red River. Nothing here they say...

Reactions: goldmom
Lol, it was in the 40's that day (actually 1992) and little light rain.
I am pretty sure it was below 40, but, irrespective of the technicalities, I know that it FELT freezing-ass cold. I recall FSU had like 270 yards of total offense, and TAMU had like 170. It was a slugfest because neither team could do anything in the horrible wind, rain and cold.

Reactions: Pimpanolie
Syracuse game a few years ago when McGuire was starting was a beautiful day for upstate NY. But that changed, during the game the temp nosedived and all could see because they have that big thermometer in the Carrier Dome. I was not looking forward to walking pretty far back to the car in shorts and a t-shirt. Then to make it worse it started to drizzle, which is just miserable in the cold, just like the cotton bowl mentioned earlier.

DFW is miserable when it decides to go all winter on you. Supposed to get some snow there in a couple of days, I think.
But then it'll be 75 two days later. Sort of like the Florida panhandle.
Like Lawton, Oklahoma. My brother was stationed there in the early 70s. We visited in the summer and it was 108 degrees (we played golf in the heat). Visited again in December and it was bitter cold.

All I care about now reading this is the dog!!! Please post an update over the weekend @EvilTwin : )
We are headed down tomorrow morning to prep water lines, etc. and we're bringing Bandit home with us for the weekend. He'll be dry, warm, and have his own bed along with our pups!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT