ADVERTISEMENT

Braves 2018

Atlanta sure is wasting a lot of quality starting pitching lately. Thankfully, the fillies aren't playing very well right now and aren't taking advantage.

Really not bad finishing 5-2 on this road trip. The end of August and September is not going to be a cakewalk by any means. Besides for the games against the other teams in the East, the Braves will face Tampa, the Cubs in a makeup game, the Pirates, Red Sox and Diamondbacks. The road to the playoffs will not be an easy ride.

The Phillies have only the Cubs and Rockies outside the East.

73 :D
57 :(

The Braves have 32 games remaining. If they finish 16-16 that will give them 89 wins. For the Phillies to catch and pass them, they would have to finish 20-11 in their final 31 games.
The remaining schedule is not easy so Atlanta needs to win all the games they should and get at least half of the 50/50 games.

The Braves finally making some moves.

Braves acquire Lucas Duda from Royals
Catcher Rivera claimed off waivers from Angels

By Mark Bowman MLB.com @mlbbowman
5:28 PM EDT

• ATLANTA -- The Braves crossed a couple items off their wish list Wednesday, acquiring Lucas Duda from the Royals for cash considerations and claiming Rene Rivera off waivers from the Angels.

Duda will attempt to satisfy the Braves' desire to add a capable left-handed presence to their bench. He could join the Braves as early as Thursday. Rivera will provide some insurance while serving as a third catcher during the season's final month. He is not expected to arrive before rosters expand on Saturday.

Since coming up short in their attempt to acquire Matt Adams, the Braves had continued to pursue a left-handed pinch hitter with some power potential. Duda slashed .242/.310/.413 with 13 homers in 345 plate appearances for the Royals this year. He batted .267 (59-for-221) with 11 homers and a .808 OPS against right-handed pitchers.

Rivera hit .244 with four homers and a .726 OPS over 87 plate appearances for the Angels. The 10-year veteran was activated from the disabled list Aug. 15, after missing 76 games with right knee inflammation.

I think Newcomb has some dead arm issues and needs to either shut it down or at least take a stint on the DL. His arm is not holding up to a full season. Last year, he only pitched 19 games, this year is already up to 26. His era in the last 4 starts has gone from 3.15 to 3.85 and that includes a game where he gave up no runs. He hasn't made it past 6 innings since his flirtation with the no-hitter and that was over a month ago.

I think Newcomb has some dead arm issues and needs to either shut it down or at least take a stint on the DL. His arm is not holding up to a full season. Last year, he only pitched 19 games, this year is already up to 26. His era in the last 4 starts has gone from 3.15 to 3.85 and that includes a game where he gave up no runs. He hasn't made it past 6 innings since his flirtation with the no-hitter and that was over a month ago.
I agree but I'm not sure who would replace him in the rotation.

I'm sure there are but the September schedule is difficult. That would be an enormous amount of pressure to put on a rookie in the middle of a pennant race.
How about the waiver wire?

We're about to expand the roster with September call ups on Saturday/Sunday. Let Allard, Touki, and Wilson share the duties or go to a six man rotation to give more rest to everyone.

It looks like Folty is finding that wall too. He was flirting with 70 pitches in the 3rd inning last night. If the Braves are going to hold on and make the playoffs, they will need some help from the September call-ups to get the starting staff some rest.

Reactions: NoleLizards
We're about to expand the roster with September call ups on Saturday/Sunday. Let Allard, Touki, and Wilson share the duties or go to a six man rotation to give more rest to everyone.
^ This! They are going to have to have a platoon mentality as far as the pitching staff goes if they are going to win the East and advance in the playoffs. I still don't see that "ace" that the Braves can count on.

Will Acuna be one of those hitters who will get better as he figures out pitchers, or will pitchers figure him out and be another Francoeur? Hoping he becomes one of the most feared hitters out there.

Will Acuna be one of those hitters who will get better as he figures out pitchers, or will pitchers figure him out and be another Francoeur? Hoping he becomes one of the most feared hitters out there.
You'd think there would already be some degree of a book on him. He has 325 at bats.

Agree. I feel like a lot will depend on the bats around him. In years where Freddie had no one you could tell he was impatient. Hopefully we will have a decent top half of order so he sees good pitches.

Nice comeback last night. I was worried we would have another Colorado series on our hands.

75 :D
60 :(
Magic Number 25

September 2, 2017
59 :D
75 :(
I was wondering if anyone else was paying attention to the drama in baseball last night with all of the college football on.

Good thing the fillies lost today cause the Sox are pulling away.

The Braves are in a really critical stretch of games with one more against the Red Sox and then four in Arizona. They have to win some of those and hope the Phillies and Nationals split their games.

The Braves are in a really critical stretch of games with one more against the Red Sox and then four in Arizona. They have to win some of those and hope the Phillies and Nationals split their games.
As much as I hate to admit it, I think that this young team (esp. starting pitching) may be beginning to run out of gas due to the rigors of a long hot season. The finish line's in sight, but can they outlast the Phils?

As much as I hate to admit it, I think that this young team (esp. starting pitching) may be beginning to run out of gas due to the rigors of a long hot season. The finish line's in sight, but can they outlast the Phils?
Well, the play of the Phillies has certainly helped Atlanta to stay in first. Washington has obviously thrown in the towel with the trades they made. Question is will they relish the spoiler role.

5 run 7th today, need the Phillies to stay horrible. If they can make it through St. Louis and Arizona with a lead I feel pretty good. Still worrried about running out of gas as others have mentioned.

5 run 7th today, need the Phillies to stay horrible. If they can make it through St. Louis and Arizona with a lead I feel pretty good. Still worrried about running out of gas as others have mentioned.
The site I'm following shows it's actually the 5th inning, but agreed otherwise.

well-that-escalated-krreg5.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT