ADVERTISEMENT

Braves End of Season Wrap Up

DFSNOLE

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Sep 25, 2002
DeFuniak Springs Country Club
Didn't want to clog up the playoff thread with Braves talk now that they are out of it so I figured we could do it here.

I think Tommy is right in that Atlanta over achieved this year and we as fans changed our expectations based on that. Given the injuries and overall youth of the team, 97 wins was a fine season.

Did anyone expect a rotation of Medlen, Minor, Teheran, Wood and Maholm to end the year? I surely didn't. The youth and talent of this staff bodes well for the future. The oldest is Medlen at 28. The best closer in baseball is only 25.

Offensively they were a little too big hit dominant. They couldn't manufacture runs well at all. If BJ can play at just his career averages, he'll make a heck of a difference at the top of the order. I don't expect McCann back so it will be interesting to see how the offense of Gattis in affected by catching 140 games. Freeman and Simmons will become perennial all stars who will anchor this club for many years to come.

If not for the resurgence of Pittsburgh, Fredi would be the runaway manager of the year IMO. He did a fantastic job considering all the injuries and below average years.

I really don't see a pressing need that Wren would have to address in the off season. We'll see.

Agree with everything DFS said, and would add that the emergence of Johnson as a hitter may be the most promising glimpse of the future next to Simmons and Gattis. Dude has some serious competitive fire inside of him.

I like Chris Johnson a lot, and agree with most everything you said, if BJ can play his average then we're fine at the top of the lineup and in CF; maybe we'll finally see the OF we thought we would.

I still think Uggla is done thought, but maybe Pena can be an everyday 2B? That to me is the glaring hole to fix for Wren. The bullpen will be better with O'Flaherty and Venters back, maybe they won't be 100% at the start of the year, but with Carpenter, Avilan, Wood, and Walden, they won't have to rush back into everyday pitching. Damn, that's a stout bullpen huh? Venters, O'Flaherty, Avilan, Wood, Walden and Carpenter, yeesh.

If, and it's been a big if lately, Uggla can hit just .230 he is worth having out there everyday because you know he will hit 25 homeruns and play good defense. I want to see if the eye surgery helps.

I didn't watch the Braves much this year, but liked what I saw. You will lose McCann, and hopefully Upton will bounce back, a little fine tuning is all this team needs.

I can't decide if this is a good idea or not. Since they're cutting capacity almost 10,000, ticket prices will go up. And they're building it in an already over-congested driving area. SMH.

I only went to games downtown because I could ride MARTA most of the way--way too scary an area to park or drive. But this location pretty much assures I'll pass on future games.

Doesn't really make a difference to out of town Braves fans; although my first thought is I won't have to screw with Atlanta traffic if I go to games. Although when we go we usually stay with the wife's sister who lives on the opposite side of Atlanta in Norcross.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Originally posted by DFSNOLE
Several outlets are reporting Hudson to sign with the Giants for 2 years and $23mil. That's a lot of money for a 39 year old pitcher. Good luck to him.
Yeah that is a buttload, but I like Huddie. He's had a very under the radar career, but has numbers right up there with many of the elite pitchers. I think his career winning percentage is like top three among active pitchers or something close to that.

Since SF paid so much, makes me wonder if the Braves were interested and drove the price up, or if they weren't involved much because they've got good vibes from somewhere else? Teheran, Minor, Beachy, and Medlen are a solid four, just need a fifth. Of are they going to bring Wood in as the fifth since Venters and Oflaherty are healthy? Hale looked really good too.

Originally posted by tommynole3476:
Several outlets are reporting Hudson to sign with the Giants for 2 years and $23mil. That's a lot of money for a 39 year old pitcher. Good luck to him.
Yeah that is a buttload, but I like Huddie. He's had a very under the radar career, but has numbers right up there with many of the elite pitchers. I think his career winning percentage is like top three among active pitchers or something close to that.

Since SF paid so much, makes me wonder if the Braves were interested and drove the price up, or if they weren't involved much because they've got good vibes from somewhere else? Teheran, Minor, Beachy, and Medlen are a solid four, just need a fifth. Of are they going to bring Wood in as the fifth since Venters and Oflaherty are healthy? Hale looked really good too.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
I think the plan is for Wood to be the 5th, as of now. O'Flaherty is probably gone because he didn't get a qualifying offer and is a FA. Braves did make an offer to Hudson, but not a qualifying offer (was way too high), but the offer wasn't near what SF offered.

Originally posted by fsugrad06:

I think the plan is for Wood to be the 5th, as of now. O'Flaherty is probably gone because he didn't get a qualifying offer and is a FA. Braves did make an offer to Hudson, but not a qualifying offer (was way too high), but the offer wasn't near what SF offered.
Even keeping all the youngsters, the Braves still don't have a #1 starter. Not saying Hudson was that or one of them won't become that but it's a weakness IMO.

Originally posted by DFSNOLE:
Originally posted by fsugrad06:

Even keeping all the youngsters, the Braves still don't have a #1 starter. Not saying Hudson was that or one of them won't become that but it's a weakness IMO.
Agree that there is no #1, but Hudson wasn't going to be that guy. There are 5 starters at this point: Minor, Medlen, Teheran, Beachy, and Wood. I wouldn't mind seeing a package with some prospects and Wood to go after Price. There are no #1s out in free agency, so, the only route is via trade. The only starter I see us having that has #1 potential is Teheran, and he isn't there yet.

When word came out that several teams (some reports said up to 11) offered Hudson a 2 year deal in the $20 million range, we all knew he was gone. Sad to see him go, but smart to get that one last paycheck.

Maddux and Glavine are both on the HOF ballot this year, among several others. Any chance we see two first ballot Braves? Maddux has to be a shoe in, Glavine has 300+ wins, two CY, 10 all star games, a WS ring and MVP, if that's not first ballot material than I don't know what is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT