ADVERTISEMENT

Breckenridge on April 11th

durtynole

Freshman
Feb 4, 2004
Took my 6 year old daughter last year skiing during our Arizona trip last year. We went to Flagstaff and she had a blast. This year her spring break isnt until April 11th. I have booked a trip to the Breckenridge.

Has anyone being skiing around there that late in the season? Any advice? Thanks in advanced.

Skied many times in March and once the first week of April in Colorado... honestly, that time of year is hit and miss for snow quality. But if all you want is to ski with your daughter, you will definitely have snow...

March is typically the snowiest month and early April most resorts have their deepest bases of the season. I think in April you could see some epic snow storms, but if its not snowing, it will probably be in the 50s and slushy.

We have a townhome in Breck 1/2 mile from the base of Peak 8. It's my favorite ski town. Spring skiing is the best. Depends on how late in the month you go 4/11 should be fine. They've been getting a lot of snow lately. My guess is that they'll still be plenty of snow. Enjoy!!

Reactions: FreeFlyNole
I took the kids there on Spring Break many times when they were kids. We always has tons of snow and it was never an issue.

Stop at "Eric's Downstairs" for pizza.

April 11 is definitely hit or miss imho.

I like crepes a la carte, if line isn't too bad and its not too cold.

Id skip Breck Brewery, since InBev has murdered its ingredients and flavors. But Broken Compass brewery was good.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys, appreciate the response. I am debating staying at Frisco for free using my Holiday Inn points or paying normal rates for a place in Breck, anyone stay in Frisco?

I'd stay in town in Breckenridge if you can swing it and it's available.
Frisco's about 15-20 min away by car.

Hit or miss? It's the Colorado Rockies! I would say it's a slam dunk, especially in early April, they get plenty of snow that month, 40 inches last year{16'}. If you do get some warm days, get out early and stay on the shadowed slopes as long as they will last.

Just got back. Trip was awesome. No new powder and the weather got up to the 60's. My daughter caught on great and we skied around the ge blues of peak 8 all the time. Very few people on those runs and the snow held up great. The greens on peak 9 were very packed and slushy.

We stayed in an apartment within a 5 minute walk of snowflake lift and 5 minutes to mainstreet. Location was perfect.

I did some solo skiing and made it to the top of peak 8. I got ballsy and hiked the extra 100 or so yards. The hike was brutal with boots and having to carry skis. The view was worth it but i regretted the decision immediately. The double diamond drop was above my level. I followed some guys on the way down and was able to manage the run.

Seeing my 7 year old daughter master the blues was one of the best times of my life. I hope we can make this a yearly thing.

I took the kids there on Spring Break many times when they were kids. We always has tons of snow and it was never an issue.

Stop at "Eric's Downstairs" for pizza.

Something about a day on the slopes that makes pizza taste amazingly good.

Reactions: osceola63
Just got back. Trip was awesome. No new powder and the weather got up to the 60's. My daughter caught on great and we skied around the ge blues of peak 8 all the time. Very few people on those runs and the snow held up great. The greens on peak 9 were very packed and slushy.

We stayed in an apartment within a 5 minute walk of snowflake lift and 5 minutes to mainstreet. Location was perfect.

I did some solo skiing and made it to the top of peak 8. I got ballsy and hiked the extra 100 or so yards. The hike was brutal with boots and having to carry skis. The view was worth it but i regretted the decision immediately. The double diamond drop was above my level. I followed some guys on the way down and was able to manage the run.

Seeing my 7 year old daughter master the blues was one of the best times of my life. I hope we can make this a yearly thing.

Did you stay at Wedgewood Lodge? I was there about a month ago -- love the convenience of hopping on Snowflake to start the day.

That is awesome. It really is a killer view from up there, but that drop is no joke. Didn't do it this trip but hiked up as far as I could on Peak 6 this year. Fresh powder and was an epic run until I caught an edge and wiped out hard, broke a couple ribs.
My son also killed his first blues this year. Was so proud of him and happy at the same time. Kid was faster then me.

Reactions: durtynole
Did you stay at Wedgewood Lodge? I was there about a month ago -- love the convenience of hopping on Snowflake to start the day.
No, i stayed at tge Sundowner II. Found it through VRBO and was reasonable. Probably will do the same next year

That is awesome. It really is a killer view from up there, but that drop is no joke. Didn't do it this trip but hiked up as far as I could on Peak 6 this year. Fresh powder and was an epic run until I caught an edge and wiped out hard, broke a couple ribs.
My son also killed his first blues this year. Was so proud of him and happy at the same time. Kid was faster then me.

I thought i was gonna wipe out. Did a half ski / half slide down approach and fortunately survived. Hope your ribs heal well.

That is awesome about your son going fast. For me since my daughter is all about dance, and my wife doesn't ski, this is one thing that i can share with her and be about us. Experiencing that adrenaline with her is awesome.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT