ADVERTISEMENT

Buc-ee’s Travel Center

FisherWilcoxTaggart Survivor

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Nov 22, 2020
I see these places popping up all over. Not sure we need Walmart Super Stores masquerading as convenience stores/gas stations, but I guess time will tell what impact these things have on traffic, conventional businesses, etc.

We took a field trip to the Buc-ee's that just opened about three weeks ago at I95 and World Golf Village in St. John's County.
I literally have never seen anything like it. If I wasn't a regular visitor to the Busy Bee on I10 in Live Oak on my way to Tally I would have been in total shock, but it's twice the size and three times the people. The Texas brisket is the TRUTH however.
There are probably thirty flavors of jerky. The selection of Kolaches is amazing. You can imagine the good smells.
Plus one area of the store looks like a mini Bass Pro, another area like a Home Goods, and a third like a small Belks clothing store. The candy, soda, and junk food is beyond anything you'd see at a new Racetrack.
It was so crowded we just grabbed ready made brisket Sammies and exited. A one and done "cultural" experience.

Where are they popping up? Trying to compete with Busy Bee?

Their site says none within 140 miles of Tallahassee.

We are supposed to be getting one in FT. Myers. Its a Texas thing the ones I have been to are crowded not crazy Goldmom is right about the brisket. The bathrooms are phenomenal. They have some smaller ones on highways, the giant ones are for interstates. They were started by an Aggies whose grandparents had a general store in Louisiana. They pay really well and provide healthcare that and the cleanliness is why we patronize them when in TX.

I rate the Busy Bee Bathroom higher 😂 and so did my daughter. We also like the BB candy “wall” better but other than that Buc-ee’s Is pretty impressive.

Reactions: squiffynole
I rate the Busy Bee Bathroom higher 😂 and so did my daughter. We also like the BB candy “wall” better but other than that Buc-ee’s Is pretty impressive.

Weird that they are hitting that Duval, St. John’s and Volusia corridor, huh? Wonder why? 😀

There’s one on I-75 at Ft Valley in GA.

First one I went to was about 7 years ago between Austin and San Antonio. 128 gas pumps.

As my friend from Texas said, the place you stop for a bio break and spend $65.

I see these places popping up all over. Not sure we need Walmart Super Stores masquerading as convenience stores/gas stations, but I guess time will tell what impact these things have on traffic, conventional businesses, etc.
Just got one here in St. John’s County. Place is a mad house. I’ll check it out in a year or so when it dies down

We took a field trip to the Buc-ee's that just opened about three weeks ago at I95 and World Golf Village in St. John's County.
I literally have never seen anything like it. If I wasn't a regular visitor to the Busy Bee on I10 in Live Oak on my way to Tally I would have been in total shock, but it's twice the size and three times the people. The Texas brisket is the TRUTH however.
There are probably thirty flavors of jerky. The selection of Kolaches is amazing. You can imagine the good smells.
Plus one area of the store looks like a mini Bass Pro, another area like a Home Goods, and a third like a small Belks clothing store. The candy, soda, and junk food is beyond anything you'd see at a new Racetrack.
It was so crowded we just grabbed ready made brisket Sammies and exited. A one and done "cultural" experience.
I've been to the one in Warner Robins. I really like it. They are based in Texas, so that is a win in itself. They had a billboard during the middle of the pandemic, that said "Risk it for the Brisket". Awesome!

Tally has neither Buc-ee’s nor Busy Bee. Or Wawa. Just lots of Circle K’s. All of which seem to always have pumps out of service.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scalphunter
I recall stopping to eat at a truck stop restaurant many years ago in Georgia. Apparently the waitress did not apply her Poligrip properly and her dentures would flap when she spoke. This had quite the influence on my dining experience and the horrors of that day still haunt me as I pass by one of those places.
Thus the phrase “flapping your gums”?
Imagine if she’d been a cop. People would say she failed to take a bite out of crime. 🤡

We have a bunch of them here but since it's not Top Tier gas I don't go there.
Although, the one in Denton has ethanol free premium octane gas so I may take the Vette and some gas cans up there and fill up.
Costco is Top Tier so that's where I usually go.

Tally has neither Buc-ee’s nor Busy Bee. Or Wawa. Just lots of Circle K’s. All of which seem to always have pumps out of service.

I used to eat boiled peanuts all the time in Tampa, but I have literally not found a single gas station in Tallahassee that I would trust to ever clean the self-service peanut warmers. Palace does have quality boiled peanuts however. Seeing how popular SunStop in Collegetown is, I feel like a nice gas station is a huge potential opportunity.

Reactions: Seminolejon78
I used to eat boiled peanuts all the time in Tampa, but I have literally not found a single gas station in Tallahassee that I would trust to ever clean the self-service peanut warmers. Palace does have quality boiled peanuts however. Seeing how popular SunStop in Collegetown is, I feel like a nice gas station is a huge potential opportunity.
Is SunStop the one with the little bar in it called the Thirsty Professor?

Is SunStop the one with the little bar in it called the Thirsty Professor?

It is. They actually have a nice selection of craft beers on draft, which is funny to me because I always see people buying Natty light and other sorts of beers popular with college kids (duh) in there. I think they have a good prepared foods reputation though, I haven't personally eaten there.

Reactions: goldmom
They’re unreal. Two have opened in Bama the last couple years. One in Robertsdale (Beach Express) & the other just this month in Leeds.

I’ve been to Busy Bee’s & Buc-ee’s puts it to shame IMO. I mean...they sell Oakley’s & Costa’s in there. The beaver nuggets are crack, & the BBQ sandwich & brisket are just stupid good. Only downside is it’s busier than even your local Walmart is on Sunday.

Reactions: 89nole and goldmom
Here’s hoping SunStop will build another store closer to my end of town.

I live in a neighborhood about a mile from the new Buc-ees in World Golf Village.

Crowds were insane when it first opened , but have thinned out considerably. Even when busy I have never had to wait in line more than a person or two deep. If they see you waiting they open another register.

They have a minimum of 70 people working during normal hours. It’s as efficient as a chick-fil-a drive thru.

The bathrooms are spotless, only thing comparable is the “Busy bee at Exit 283”.

Brisket is legit and the breakfast sandwiches are on point as well.

It is nothing like a traditional truck stop, kids love the place. The GATE station down the road is a ghost town now.

And COSTCO is going in across the street.

I live in a neighborhood about a mile from the new Buc-ees in World Golf Village.

Crowds were insane when it first opened , but have thinned out considerably. Even when busy I have never had to wait in line more than a person or two deep. If they see you waiting they open another register.

They have a minimum of 70 people working during normal hours. It’s as efficient as a chick-fil-a drive thru.

The bathrooms are spotless, only thing comparable is the “Busy bee at Exit 283”.

Brisket is legit and the breakfast sandwiches are on point as well.

It is nothing like a traditional truck stop, kids love the place. The GATE station down the road is a ghost town now.

And COSTCO is going in across the street.

Oh wow....just a gator gift shop away from having a new food stamp office nearby.

We stopped at the Buc-ees on the Warner Robins exit off I-75 a couple of weeks ago. What a place! An entire counter of beef jerky.

Headed to our local Bucees today for a rendezvous to caravan 30 Corvettes to a small town lunch.
We call our bunch the Corvette ROMEOs. Retired Old Men Eating Out...

I heard they had some sour cherry killers. Field trip to Buc-ee's? Slow day?

I have a pipe dream that they someday put a Buc-ees or Busy Bee at the I-10 Greensboro exit in Gadsden County. Just a dream.

Buc-ee's is OK, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go there. Their gas is not Top Tier so I don't use it

I’ve only vaguely heard of this place and had no idea it was such a thing. I’ve been inside a Wawa a couple times and was pretty indifferent about it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT