ADVERTISEMENT

California Postpones High School Football 5 Months

This will start a cascade of other states which will do the same thing...maybe it's already started and I just don't know about it. Can't see them playing in Oregon or Washington this fall either.

This will start a cascade of other states which will do the same thing...maybe it's already started and I just don't know about it. Can't see them playing in Oregon or Washington this fall either.
Watch out I got in trouble for saying that same thing.

Reactions: FarmerNole
With what appears to be promising progress towards a vaccine, this could be a viable route for a lot of sports. Not sure how quickly supply and distribution could happen, but it’s plausible to postpone until people can start getting vaccinated, reducing the perceived risk for a lot of these institutions.

Reactions: QuaZ2002 and tigity
Virginia will not have football in the Fall but no decision if it will be moved to the spring

There is just no reason places with high levels of outbreak to be playing high school football. I understand the argument for opening schools but I see no benefit for doing extracurricular activities that actually cost school districts money to do and increase the risk of spread. Moving football to spring does no harm at the high school level.

Reactions: Spearhead04
It does some ha
There is just no reason places with high levels of outbreak to be playing high school football. I understand the argument for opening schools but I see no benefit for doing extracurricular activities that actually cost school districts money to do and increase the risk of spread. Moving football to spring does no harm at the high school level.
It does do harm at the high school level. Many High School players are involved in playing more than one sport. Moving football to the spring will force the athlete To not play their second sport. PlayingMore than one sports helps player develop different set of muscle groups, better coordination and self-esteem.

It does some ha

It does do harm at the high school level. Many High School players are involved in playing more than one sport. Moving football to the spring will force the athlete To not play their second sport. PlayingMore than one sports helps player develop different set of muscle groups, better coordination and self-esteem.
It is a fair point so yes there would be some downsides for sure. I do not see school districts in areas of outbreak playing football this fall though. Districts do not have the money for testing at a level that would be needed etc etc etc Games without fans in the stands cost a lot of money. District have no incentive to drop the money into what it would take to make it happen. Especially in this state where tax revenue shortfalls are going to hit school districts very hard soon.

I got a good ole fashion Warchant “warning” for saying California and New York would be next to do that after Virginia did. Well looks like I was right. Facts are political apparently.

Not sure it is a true political decision. California has the highest number of infections in the country and also had some of the strictest guidelines in place. While they definitely have liberal policies in LA and San Fran, most of the rest of the state is very conservative.

This seems to be directly related to health concerns more than political posturing.

Georgia is playing high school football this year. It is delayed and the season starts September 4.

Doubtful, but they will do what they can. The problem is how to handle practices. Students in most large districts are online for the fall. A number of students in football depend on schools providing transportation - buses. I don't see them starting on time to be honest with the current state of affairs here in Georgia.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT