ADVERTISEMENT

Can Brooks Koepka be golf's 'next big thing?'

Bill From Tampa

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Apr 1, 2002
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...harpens-game-around-world-big-three/78387658/

With each step and stroke, Koepka, a powerful player who’s 6-0 and 195, steadily ascended the world golf rankings, moving from No. 433 at the start of 2013 to No. 86 at the start of 2014. Then he went to No. 32 at the start of 2015 to his current rank of No. 16 as he tees off Thursday in the Hyundai Tournament of Champions on the Plantation Course in Maui.

Brooks is very smooth. To be honest I like Berger's chances, I prefer his swing and he's got an edge.

Problem as I see it is the current "next big thing" is only 22 years old. Can Brooks and Jordan become a rivalry? One side of that equation has proven their position. The game is now filled with so many really good players.

Problem as I see it is the current "next big thing" is only 22 years old. Can Brooks and Jordan become a rivalry? One side of that equation has proven their position. The game is now filled with so many really good players.

With the Golf Channel and golf being cool, there's enough room for at least 6 "superstars" no problem. Amazing that once Rory tore his ATFL it was like he never existed with Spieth, Day, and DJ taking center stage. Meanwhile guys like Bubba and Adam are like, remember me? With the amount of money and political/media force behind golf, a guy can have virtually any personality and get stardom.

In my mind the "next big thing" is the gut on the top of the heap not just top tier. I agree that there's room for 6-7 superstars. The more the better for the game.

Golf is in a really good place right now and Brooks is one of the good young players. 2015 was about as good of a golf season as you could ask for and 2016 is settling up to be just as great.

Brooks and Patrick Reed are two Young stars who hopefully will make the next Ryder Cup team.
Brooks definitely has the game, but as has been pointed out, there are a lot of young potential stars.
At that level, it takes a sharp mental edge, because all the players have the physical capabilities. Let's just hope that Brooks continues his current upward trajectory . Go Noles!

Blixt is pretty good also. But last year Koepka was the best Pro Nole playing. BTW- How do you pronounce "Koepka"?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT