ADVERTISEMENT

Caribbean

FSU_Chris

All-ACC
Gold Member
Oct 26, 2005
Living in Tallahassee but will be down in Orlando around July 4th. Considering taking the family somewhere down in the Caribbean for a week (July 10 to 17). I have been to Puerto Rico (Aguadilla and San Juan), St Thomas, St John, St Marteen, Dominican Republic, Bahamas (Nassau only) and Jamaica. I was considering St Croix but the Marriott property I wanted to stay at is getting slaughtered by reviews. I have four younger kids (ages 7 and 9 - two sets of twins). Any thoughts or recommendations considering 6 flights and probably renting a car. Appreciate any thoughts. Wife wants a chill beach vacation and ideally a place on beach would be perfect.

Reactions: squiffynole
Living in Tallahassee but will be down in Orlando around July 4th. Considering taking the family somewhere down in the Caribbean for a week (July 10 to 17). I have been to Puerto Rico (Aguadilla and San Juan), St Thomas, St John, St Marteen, Dominican Republic, Bahamas (Nassau only) and Jamaica. I was considering St Croix but the Marriott property I wanted to stay at is getting slaughtered by reviews. I have four younger kids (ages 7 and 9 - two sets of twins). Any thoughts or recommendations considering 6 flights and probably renting a car. Appreciate any thoughts. Wife wants a chill beach vacation and ideally a place on beach would be perfect.
Personally, I would skip Jamaica and Puerto Rico. You need to research whether any proposed destination has been “rebuilt” from recent hurricane damage. You don’t mention the Caymans, but the Ritz there is really nice and has lots of activities for the kiddos. Ditto for Baha Mar in the Bahamas. Good luck.

I haven't been in years but have heard St. Maarten is not doing well yet. They were hit bad by a hurricane not many years before COVID and hadn't completely recovered from that.

That said, I know the island would appreciate your support getting it back to normal.

Can't go wrong with Aruba.
Just don't party with this guy...
Joran_van_der_Sloot_Aruba_mugshot.jpg

Just don't party with this guy...
Joran_van_der_Sloot_Aruba_mugshot.jpg
Yeah, Natalie Holloway is the first thing that comes to mind with Aruba, unfortunately. I was living in north Alabama during that time.

Good luck to the OP. I only have one set of twins and consequently no hair left but they are grown now.

It will be hotter than blue blazes down there in July. Skip Jamaica and the Dominican Republic. The Caymans are very family friendly. I'm a fan.

Yeah, Natalie Holloway is the first thing that comes to mind with Aruba, unfortunately. I was living in north Alabama during that time.

Good luck to the OP. I only have one set of twins and consequently no hair left but they are grown now.
van der Sloot is now in prison in Peru for a DIFFERENT murder....assuming he does not die (violently or naturally) in prison -- and he has been attacked a few times -- he will be extradited to the U.S. upon his release (circa 2040) for extorting $$ from Natalie's mom. The mom will be 80 then, and lots of stuff can obviously happen between now and then. Horrible story all around....lots of nuts out there, and most of us are never aware they actually exist.

Jamaica is the worst
The last time we were there was on a cruise. We did a rafting trip on the Blue River which was fine, but my daughter and I decided to stay on the bus when we stopped at a shopping area on the way back. She wasn't feeling well.
People saw us sitting on the bus and said things like "you too good to spend money in Jamaica?" - and worse.
Beautiful blue water beaches and green everywhere, but the atmosphere wasn't wonderful.

The last time we were there was on a cruise. We did a rafting trip on the Blue River which was fine, but my daughter and I decided to stay on the bus when we stopped at a shopping area on the way back. She wasn't feeling well.
People saw us sitting on the bus and said things like "you too good to spend money in Jamaica?" - and worse.
Beautiful blue water beaches and green everywhere, but the atmosphere wasn't wonderful.
Now that's a bummer. So I take it you're not into Jamaica Rum?
Cool Runnings was a favorite movie of mine. But not after this review.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT