ADVERTISEMENT

Chicago....

cornnoleio11

Veteran Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Feb 28, 2007
St. John's, FL
Going to see Chicago this weekend at the new Daily's Place Amphitheater in Jacksonville. Anyone ever seen them live? What's the crowd like?

Don't forget to show your AARP card at the beer stand....

Going to see Chicago this weekend at the new Daily's Place Amphitheater in Jacksonville. Anyone ever seen them live? What's the crowd like?

They were good when I saw them but it's been a LONG time so I wouldn't trust what I saw. You never know what you're going to get when the geezer bands trot out. Sometimes they'll be like Huey Lewis and the News and Diana Ross was this past year and be radio perfect and put on a great performance. Others like Foreigner still rock but like the gramps they are put on a tight but short set and then toddle off to bed. Then you've got bands like Heart and Cheap Trick that aren't up to their old standards but give it a solid try anyways. Then you've got bands like Kansas and Three Dog Night that were dreadful.

Saw them a long time ago - early-mid 80s; they were the featured act at PowWow.

In their prime, they were tremendous. I'd expect it to still be a pretty good show even now that their old. They have a lot of talented musicians in the group & can easily take turns being featured for a bit so that none run out of energy.

Saw them when they were still Chicago Transit Authority, Waaaaay back in the day. One of my first ever concerts, and still in my Top 10 lo these many years later.

saw them in Pensacola while in college, around 88 probably. The crowd, even then when they were still very big (top 40 hit after top 40 hit), was much more reserved. No one was crowding the stage; very chill.

Never have seen them. And a group I was in opened for them maybe 15 years ago and I still did not get to see them. Probably never will.

I'm just guessing ... geriatric?

I saw Chicago and the Doobie Brothers this past Friday at the Verizon Amphitheater in Alpharetta. It wasn't as geriatric as I thought it would be, though. A good bit of 30 and 40 year olds.Then again, we had the cheaper lawn seats this time. Chicago's lead singers were definitely not original members, but both bands sounded great. It would have been better if it wasn't raining sideways for half of the show. Despite the rain, the lawn crowd stuck around and danced in the mud.

I saw Chicago and the Doobie Brothers this past Friday at the Verizon Amphitheater in Alpharetta. It wasn't as geriatric as I thought it would be, though. A good bit of 30 and 40 year olds.Then again, we had the cheaper lawn seats this time. Chicago's lead singers were definitely not original members, but both bands sounded great. It would have been better if it wasn't raining sideways for half of the show. Despite the rain, the lawn crowd stuck around and danced in the mud.

They've most always had three main singers who shared lead vocals. Of the original 3, Kath's been dead for almost 40 years; Cetera left the band about 30 years ago. Lamm is still with them & sings lead on the songs he's always done. I think the other 2 lead singers are very new to the band (like within the last year or 2 new).

The bass player/tenor singer who replaced Cetera, Jason Scheff, left the band last year. So they're on the 3rd generation singer of their cheesier songs. But Chicago really rocked in the late 60s/early 70s. Terry Kath was an incredible guitarist.

The bass player/tenor singer who replaced Cetera, Jason Scheff, left the band last year. So they're on the 3rd generation singer of their cheesier songs. But Chicago really rocked in the late 60s/early 70s. Terry Kath was an incredible guitarist.

Both Cetera & Scheff are great bass players; it's a shame that they're typically remembered as the singers of the sickeningly sugary ballads that Chicago put out in the 80s.
Early Chicago was indeed outstanding, led by Kath's hard driving guitar. I listen to the recorded show from Tanglewood quite often, it's one of my absolute favorite concert recordings.

I usually catch the Chicago, Doobies and Earth, Wind and Fire tour when it rolls through Houston (The Woodlands). They know how to entertain....highly recommend

Not much to tell. Played probably 30 minutes and as soon as it was done had to leave for another commitment.

I did think it was a little odd the band played that gig b/c it was a band very similar to Chicago.
Sorry, I meant tell us more about your life in the band.

What kind of music did you play?
What instrument do you play?
How long did you do it for?
How many groupies did you bang?

You know...the regular questions.

Sorry, I meant tell us more about your life in the band.

What kind of music did you play?
What instrument do you play?
How long did you do it for?
How many groupies did you bang?

You know...the regular questions.

That band was a jazz rock horn band ala BST and Chicago.
Bass - electric and upright.
Who says I have quit doing it? :D
I never kiss and tell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT