ADVERTISEMENT

Clam strips

While the states does have some authentic international cuisine I haven't come across any that really captures the true flavor of places overseas. German food anywhere outside of Germany never really measures up though.

Have you been to Mr. Dunderbak’s in Tampa? It’s got the best schnitzels in the US, plus great in house leberkase, schweinshaxe and roasted krustenbraten. They also have 50 keg taps and 6 cask taps plus literally hundreds of German, Austrian, Swiss and Belgian beers in bottles and have a full collection of German and Hungarian sausages, meats and cheeses in their deli.

Have you been to Mr. Dunderbak’s in Tampa? It’s got the best schnitzels in the US, plus great in house leberkase, schweinshaxe and roasted krustenbraten. They also have 50 keg taps and 6 cask taps plus literally hundreds of German, Austrian, Swiss and Belgian beers in bottles and have a full collection of German and Hungarian sausages, meats and cheeses in their deli.
I have. There is one in Daytona as well I think. There used to be a store/deli of the same name in San Antonio but I'm not sure if they are related. The food there is good as its hard to find good Laberkase in the states. Decent schnitzels too.

I was just in Germany and had a schnitzel from a imbiss (like a food truck with no wheels) near the airport and it was the best I've had in years. Funny thing about German food is how much different its is from region to region. While most relate to the Bavarian or Schwaibish style there are dozens more that range from almost Czech to French and everything in between.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I see $17 lobster rolls on some food trucks around metro ATL. That makes me cringe a bit unless I'm going to share it.
I suppose that wouldn't kill me too much because I'd have it for two meals, but $25 in Tallahassee? It's $39 at the Oyster Bar currently in NY for comparison. And, I wouldn't pay that either, but I would pay for the bowl of she crab soup. $12.95.

That's what kills me down here, some places try and be shi shi and act like they're NYC or something.

Reactions: GeddyLee09
I suppose that wouldn't kill me too much because I'd have it for two meals, but $25 in Tallahassee? It's $39 at the Oyster Bar currently in NY for comparison. And, I wouldn't pay that either, but I would pay for the bowl of she crab soup. $12.95.

That's what kills me down here, some places try and be shi shi and act like they're NYC or something.
Lobster rolls are good but not 39 dollar good or even 25 for that matter. Ill just wait til I go to Maine and then avoid the touristy places in Portland.

Reactions: bcherod
Once upon a time, a long, long time ago, on a star far away, clam strips were good. There were actually clams in the clam strip.

Does anyone else remember when clam strips were good and not these little crumbs of something that does not resemble a clam?

Is there still such a thing as a good clam strip?

It has been several years since my last stop here, but this joint was great every time. Old school frame building with long community tables. The parking lot shrinks during storms as the tide creeps into low spots.

The prices listed now reflect a different “day and time” that is dramatically changing the market. Skit is getting real.

Last edited:

It has been several years since my last stop here, but this joint was great every time. Old school frame building with long community tables. The parking lot shrinks during storms as the tide creeps into low spots.

The prices listed now reflect a different “day and time” that is dramatically changing the market. Skit is getting real.
Prices are ridiculous. I thought prices in Florida were high.
I don’t get the gluten free thing though. How could you make a breaded and fried food gluten free? I had a gluten free pizza once 🤢. If I don’t want fried I just get seafood steamed or broiled.

Prices are ridiculous. I thought prices in Florida were high.
I don’t get the gluten free thing though. How could you make a breaded and fried food gluten free? I had a gluten free pizza once 🤢. If I don’t want fried I just get seafood steamed or broiled.
Yeah, I didn’t even notice the gluten free statement when posting the menu. Don’t remember that when eating there.
The lobster harvest is in free fall up there and I speculate that other species may be impacted as well. Supplies are dwindling and obviously the prices reflect that.
“Fresh off the boat” flavor up there is far superior to what the Florida market yields, no matter the cost.

Yeah, I didn’t even notice the gluten free statement when posting the menu. Don’t remember that when eating there.
The lobster harvest is in free fall up there and I speculate that other species may be impacted as well. Supplies are dwindling and obviously the prices reflect that.
“Fresh off the boat” flavor up there is far superior to what the Florida market yields, no matter the cost.
I don't think that's limited to seafood. Everything these days is said to be low supply or high demand and therefore higher prices. Eggs, chicken, chlorine for pools, you name it there is a short supply or high demand. The only thing that's actually happening is higher prices the rest is just BS to justify it.

Reactions: bcherod
While the states does have some authentic international cuisine I haven't come across any that really captures the true flavor of places overseas. German food anywhere outside of Germany never really measures up though.
Germany, where bread doubles as a weapon.

The late Daddy Jacks/Cooking with the Blues visits the Clam Box in Ipswich. They put the clams in evaporated milk then bread with a mix of corn flour and pastry flour.

Fried Clams @ The Clam Box, Ipswich, Mass

Mark Wiens visits Woodmans of Essex. I went there in 2015. He films them breading the clams around 6:00.

$284 Fisherman’s Platter!! KING OF FRIED SEAFOOD in New England!!

The Fish Guy in New Port Richie, near SR-54 & US-19, has clams from Cedar Key. I will have to pick some up next time I am over that way

s_c213d445-d244-414b-89bb-ed5ec03eab82.jpg

No fried clams on the menu, though.

s_c93648d7-1392-4d7d-8baf-e492026583b3.jpg

@FSUTribe76 do you know of any good places, either restaurants or seafood markets, around Tampa?

I take trips down to Tampa once or twice a month as my parents; in laws; sister, her husband and nephew; SIL, her husband and two nephews plus a bunch of cousins, aunts and uncles all live in the general area scattered around Brooksville, Lutz, St Pete, Ruskin, Lakeland, and Tampa itself. But when I go down, I don’t USUALLY eat standard Southern seafood as that’s what I can get up in Tally plus my semi frequent trips to the panhandle, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana. If my parents want seafood we usually meet in the “neutral area” of Cedar Key or in Homosassa Springs/Crystal River as there are a ton of great seafood places there (Quick sidenote, if in Apopka the Nauti Lobstah has good southern fried catfish and Yankee/New England seafood dishes). When I’m in the greater Tampa Bay Area, I like to get high quality NYC and Philly “Italian” from snowbird immigrants in Brooksville, Ridge Manor and Spring Hill; grab Greek from Tarpon Springs; or Cuban or German from Tampa. There are some seafood dishes in all of that, but not a “seafood restaurant”.

So far, I haven’t ran into a “seafood restaurant” in Tampa that is equal to or beats the options in Cedar Key, Crystal River/Homosassa, Battleship Row Alabama, Biloxi/Gulfport, 30A, Pensacola, Slidell and of course New Orleans. Frankly even Shell Oyster Bar and some places in Apalachicola/Panacea/Carrabelle beat the places I’ve been to on the coast in Tampa and St Pete (Clearwater and Dunedin have some better options). I especially dislike some of the frequently mentioned older Standby’s like Leverrocks and Oystercatchers as they are too pricey for subpar seafood. Honestly, Tampa, Pinellas Park and St Pete may have the worst seafood in the state no joke As I’ve found restaurants I would unflinchingly recommend everywhere from Pensacola to Jax down to the Keys and in small fishing villages all along the Big Bend down to Pasco County and starting back up again in Sarasota down to Ft Myers PLUS isolated interior Florida places like Apopka, Clewiston, Okeechobee, Dunellon, Ocala etc…

So although that’s a very long winded “No, I don’t know of any quality seafood restaurants in Tampa” (Jax and St Augustine have far more that I like), I can give you a couple of tentative suggestions. My parents and in-laws both like Shells (unrelated to the better Shell Oyster Bar in Tally) which is a former Florida wide chain now shrunk back to the Tampa Bay Area. My opinion is that Shells are better than chains like Red Lobster, Bonefish and Bubba Gump Shrimp, but not on par with dozens if not a hundred places I could name in the rest of FL, GA, AL, MS and LA. I did eat there a lot as a kid and teenager and have stolen their great coconut shrimp dipping sauce recipe (equal portions orange marmalade, Publix brown mustard and pickled horseradish plus some black pepper for extra heat). Catch 23 has some decent Floribbean not standard southern seafood (So nothing to compare to the great places in the Keys and Miami but better than nothing). Skipper’s Smokehouse isn’t a seafood place in any sense of the word but does have some decent seafood in the form of an iconic (maybe even creator) or a Blackened Grouper Reuben sandwich, smoked Gator ribs, alligator and Cobia nuggets, etc…all of which I like better than the seafood I’ve gotten at true “seafood restaurants” in Tampa. It’s even got an almost tolerable raw bar. Big Ray’s Fish Camp is probably the best standard seafood restaurant in town but don’t count that as a giant raving Review from me. Oystercatchers is locally famous for its seafood and nice waterfront views but I only go for the brunch on rare occasions not the overrated seafood. For views and slightly upgraded seafood I’d suggest the Rusty Pelican.

So long story short, gun to my head, can’t eat at an ethnic restaurant that has great seafood like some of the Greek restaurants in Tarpon Springs and it has to be seafood in just Tampa…..I’d probably say go to Skipper’s Smokehouse first even though it’s a hybrid bbq/seafood place, Rusty Pelicon second, Catch 23 third, Big Ray’s Fish Camp fourth, Shells Fifth (it would be the most convenient to get in and out of, just nothing super special) and don’t go to Oystercatchers except for brunch. The Crab Shack just across the Gandy barely into St Pete is pretty decent but not mindblowing for standard Southern Seafood.

As far as seafood markets, keep in mind I haven’t been to one post pandemic but the best in the area that I remember was IC Sharks just off the Gandy barely into St Pete (so near the Crab Shack), but during the pandemic it was forced to move off the bridge itself to a further into St Pete location due to local zoning BS. The new location supposedly has the same quality raw seafood to pick up (I haven’t been to the new location) but no longer carries bait/live shrimp and crabs. The new location does have a little seafood restaurant that on paper and principal should be good but I haven’t been so that’s why no rec from me. Backups for seafood markets if IC Sharks now sucks would be Blue Sea, Captain Mitchell And Cox.

One caveat to all of the above is that Ted Peters in St Pete is an absolute iconic restaurant that should be visited at least once. But it’s known for smoked mullet, mackerel and Amberjack not fried food or fancy Floribbean fare.

I take trips down to Tampa once or twice a month as my parents; in laws; sister, her husband and nephew; SIL, her husband and two nephews plus a bunch of cousins, aunts and uncles all live in the general area scattered around Brooksville, Lutz, St Pete, Ruskin, Lakeland, and Tampa itself. But when I go down, I don’t USUALLY eat standard Southern seafood as that’s what I can get up in Tally plus my semi frequent trips to the panhandle, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana. If my parents want seafood we usually meet in the “neutral area” of Cedar Key or in Homosassa Springs/Crystal River as there are a ton of great seafood places there (Quick sidenote, if in Apopka the Nauti Lobstah has good southern fried catfish and Yankee/New England seafood dishes). When I’m in the greater Tampa Bay Area, I like to get high quality NYC and Philly “Italian” from snowbird immigrants in Brooksville, Ridge Manor and Spring Hill; grab Greek from Tarpon Springs; or Cuban or German from Tampa. There are some seafood dishes in all of that, but not a “seafood restaurant”.

So far, I haven’t ran into a “seafood restaurant” in Tampa that is equal to or beats the options in Cedar Key, Crystal River/Homosassa, Battleship Row Alabama, Biloxi/Gulfport, 30A, Pensacola, Slidell and of course New Orleans. Frankly even Shell Oyster Bar and some places in Apalachicola/Panacea/Carrabelle beat the places I’ve been to on the coast in Tampa and St Pete (Clearwater and Dunedin have some better options). I especially dislike some of the frequently mentioned older Standby’s like Leverrocks and Oystercatchers as they are too pricey for subpar seafood. Honestly, Tampa, Pinellas Park and St Pete may have the worst seafood in the state no joke As I’ve found restaurants I would unflinchingly recommend everywhere from Pensacola to Jax down to the Keys and in small fishing villages all along the Big Bend down to Pasco County and starting back up again in Sarasota down to Ft Myers PLUS isolated interior Florida places like Apopka, Clewiston, Okeechobee, Dunellon, Ocala etc…

So although that’s a very long winded “No, I don’t know of any quality seafood restaurants in Tampa” (Jax and St Augustine have far more that I like), I can give you a couple of tentative suggestions. My parents and in-laws both like Shells (unrelated to the better Shell Oyster Bar in Tally) which is a former Florida wide chain now shrunk back to the Tampa Bay Area. My opinion is that Shells are better than chains like Red Lobster, Bonefish and Bubba Gump Shrimp, but not on par with dozens if not a hundred places I could name in the rest of FL, GA, AL, MS and LA. I did eat there a lot as a kid and teenager and have stolen their great coconut shrimp dipping sauce recipe (equal portions orange marmalade, Publix brown mustard and pickled horseradish plus some black pepper for extra heat). Catch 23 has some decent Floribbean not standard southern seafood (So nothing to compare to the great places in the Keys and Miami but better than nothing). Skipper’s Smokehouse isn’t a seafood place in any sense of the word but does have some decent seafood in the form of an iconic (maybe even creator) or a Blackened Grouper Reuben sandwich, smoked Gator ribs, alligator and Cobia nuggets, etc…all of which I like better than the seafood I’ve gotten at true “seafood restaurants” in Tampa. It’s even got an almost tolerable raw bar. Big Ray’s Fish Camp is probably the best standard seafood restaurant in town but don’t count that as a giant raving Review from me. Oystercatchers is locally famous for its seafood and nice waterfront views but I only go for the brunch on rare occasions not the overrated seafood. For views and slightly upgraded seafood I’d suggest the Rusty Pelican.

So long story short, gun to my head, can’t eat at an ethnic restaurant that has great seafood like some of the Greek restaurants in Tarpon Springs and it has to be seafood in just Tampa…..I’d probably say go to Skipper’s Smokehouse first even though it’s a hybrid bbq/seafood place, Rusty Pelicon second, Catch 23 third, Big Ray’s Fish Camp fourth, Shells Fifth (it would be the most convenient to get in and out of, just nothing super special) and don’t go to Oystercatchers except for brunch. The Crab Shack just across the Gandy barely into St Pete is pretty decent but not mindblowing for standard Southern Seafood.

As far as seafood markets, keep in mind I haven’t been to one post pandemic but the best in the area that I remember was IC Sharks just off the Gandy barely into St Pete (so near the Crab Shack), but during the pandemic it was forced to move off the bridge itself to a further into St Pete location due to local zoning BS. The new location supposedly has the same quality raw seafood to pick up (I haven’t been to the new location) but no longer carries bait/live shrimp and crabs. The new location does have a little seafood restaurant that on paper and principal should be good but I haven’t been so that’s why no rec from me. Backups for seafood markets if IC Sharks now sucks would be Blue Sea, Captain Mitchell And Cox.

One caveat to all of the above is that Ted Peters in St Pete is an absolute iconic restaurant that should be visited at least once. But it’s known for smoked mullet, mackerel and Amberjack not fried food or fancy Floribbean fare.

I think I need to make a road trip up to Cedar Key. There is a Huddle House sort of on the way.

I think I need to make a road trip up to Cedar Key. There is a Huddle House sort of on the way.

Cedar Key has a number of really good seafood places unlike the much bigger Tampa, but the best imo is Tony’s. Their clam chowder won the biggest clam chowder cook off in Rhode Island three times in a row so they literally forced him to retire and gave him an honorary permanent spot so that others had a chance. So obviously make sure you get a cup if not a bowl of their amazing clam chowder as they beat out famous places in San Fran, Boston and Maine.

Cedar Key has a number of really good seafood places unlike the much bigger Tampa, but the best imo is Tony’s. Their clam chowder won the biggest clam chowder cook off in Rhode Island three times in a row so they literally forced him to retire and gave him an honorary permanent spot so that others had a chance. So obviously make sure you get a cup if not a bowl of their amazing clam chowder as they beat out famous places in San Fran, Boston and Maine.

The Wayback Machine has the story about Tony's winning for a third time.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT