ADVERTISEMENT

College Football Players - COVID-19 Liability

jbnoles4

All-ACC
Jun 12, 2007
I have heard on so many talk shows talking about the risk of playing football this year. They are trying to make the point that if "one" player gets COVID and then (God forbid) dies, that the liability for this would be off the charts.

Think about this... it makes no sense. We are worried about the liability of a college football player dying from COVID when the chances of a player dying from a head to head collision is at least 100 times greater!!! Tell me how this makes sense?

Reactions: SemiTar and Hogpynn
I have heard on so many talk shows talking about the risk of playing football this year. They are trying to make the point that if "one" player gets COVID and then (God forbid) dies, that the liability for this would be off the charts.

Think about this... it makes no sense. We are worried about the liability of a college football player dying from COVID when the chances of a player dying from a head to head collision is at least 100 times greater!!! Tell me how this makes sense?
Head to head hits are likely considered an assumed risk.

Covid there are recommended prevention techniques. Lawsuits are going to be based on whether the school was negligent in it's testing, reporting or whatever. A lawsuit is going to happen if a kid dies regardless of whether there was negligence. It's going to be a really bad for look for the school even if they deserve no blame. This is why risk management is its own field.

However, schools have put themselves in a position where football must be played. If I was a risk manager at a school I would be worried as hell right now.

Correct!

Or heat stroke, or a cardiovascular episode ect.

Good news is COVID-19 has a less than .2% chance of killing someone.

Head to head hits are likely considered an assumed risk.

Covid there are recommended prevention techniques. Lawsuits are going to be based on whether the school was negligent in it's testing, reporting or whatever. A lawsuit is going to happen if a kid dies regardless of whether there was negligence. It's going to be a really bad for look for the school even if they deserve no blame. This is why risk management is its own field.

However, schools have put themselves in a position where football must be played. If I was a risk manager at a school I would be worried as hell right now.
You have to prove he got it from being a football player which is very hard since this thing is so incredibly contagious. He could have gotten it from the mailman, unless it’s really not as contagious which sort of defeats their argument. These suits will be difficult to win by the plaintiffs. Strange days.

You have to prove he got it from being a football player which is very hard since this thing is so incredibly contagious. He could have gotten it from the mailman, unless it’s really not as contagious which sort of defeats their argument. These suits will be difficult to win by the plaintiffs. Strange days.

No you wouldn't - the player wouldn't be on campus or in the town if he weren't playing football. Morgan and Morgan would be chomping at the bit.

The lawyers won't be looking to win it at trial. They're looking for large settlements to get it out of the press.

Incredibly? As compared to the mumps, measles or the common flu?

The lawyers won't be looking to win it at trial. They're looking for large settlements to get it out of the press.
Popsnole is 100 percent correct here. The liability issue will be off the charts esp if the mlb continues to have major issues. If they start the season, right after the mlb is forced to cancel theirs with professional athletes, the liability will possibly be to much to handle in regards to amateurs

Popsnole is 100 percent correct here. The liability issue will be off the charts esp if the mlb continues to have major issues. If they start the season, right after the mlb is forced to cancel theirs with professional athletes, the liability will possibly be to much to handle in regards to amateurs

But the liability of having a brain injury or paralysis just from playing football isn't an issue. This whole thing is ridiculous...

The chances of any of these players even having more than mild "cold like" symptoms is very unlikely. Now we are going to worry about liability??? Look at the current Florida COVID-19 stats updated today...

Florida new cases 7,160
Florida new deaths 62
.008% death rate.
Florida has tested 3,720,997 people. 487,132 tested positive which is 13%. Of those who tested positive, 97% are either asymptomatic or mild. 2% are critical and 1% on oxygen support.

And we know that college age athletes are in very good health. I would venture to say 99.9% of any of these football players testing positive will have very minor or no symptoms. The cure is much worse than the disease. Stop the madness!

But the liability of having a brain injury or paralysis just from playing football isn't an issue. This whole thing is ridiculous...

The chances of any of these players even having more than mild "cold like" symptoms is very unlikely. Now we are going to worry about liability??? Look at the current Florida COVID-19 stats updated today...

Florida new cases 7,160
Florida new deaths 62
.008% death rate.
Florida has tested 3,720,997 people. 487,132 tested positive which is 13%. Of those who tested positive, 97% are either asymptomatic or mild. 2% are critical and 1% on oxygen support.

And we know that college age athletes are in very good health. I would venture to say 99.9% of any of these football players testing positive will have very minor or no symptoms. The cure is much worse than the disease. Stop the madness!
The likelihood of them dying isn't relevant. Putting "amateur athletes" out on the field right now is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Plenty of people have genetic heart defects and pre-existing conditions you don't know about at their age. It's just going to take one player have a genetic heart issue and they get covid and die and the lawyers are going to be swarming his family within an hour.

I'm not against football being played it's just a huge potential liability if something goes wrong. Remember the Darling situation? Now imagine it with a Covid death right now. It's going to scare the hell out of coaches, players and administration.

Last edited:
Reactions: SemiTar and -Black
The likelihood of them dying isn't relevant. Putting "amateur athletes" out on the field right now is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Plenty of people have genetic heart defects and pre-existing conditions you don't know about at their age. It's just going to take one player have a genetic heart issue and they get covid and die and the lawyers are going to be swarming his family within an hour.

I'm not against football being played it's just a huge potential liability if something goes wrong. Remember the Darling situation? Now imagine it with a Covid death right now. It's going to scare the hell out of coaches, players and administration.

Pops, your making my point for me. Any of these players could have many hidden issues and that is true in any year with any number of sicknesses that could happen to a team. If these players that have any underlying issues caught a bad case of the flu, they would also die. So should we just cancel all sports due to "liability"? Based on the statistics this is no different than the flu, Swine flu (H1N1)...etc. It is purely a power play and political instilling fear in our population.

Reactions: SemiTar
Pops, your making my point for me. Any of these players could have many hidden issues and that is true in any year with any number of sicknesses that could happen to a team. If these players that have any underlying issues caught a bad case of the flu, they would also die. So should we just cancel all sports due to "liability"? Based on the statistics this is no different than the flu, Swine flu (H1N1)...etc. It is purely a power play and political instilling fear in our population.
Based on the statistics it is much worse than the flu. That’s not even debatable.

Your opinion on the politics isn’t relevant to the legal analysis and risk management issues.

Based on the statistics it is much worse than the flu. That’s not even debatable.

Your opinion on the politics isn’t relevant to the legal analysis and risk management issues.

These numbers are not worse than the flu.

Florida new cases 7,160
Florida new deaths 62
.008% death rate.

I would not say it isnt even debatable. Especially when the fatalities from influenza and pnuemonia (around 85,000 annually) are included as covid fatalities.

Florida new cases 7,160
Florida new deaths 62
.008% death rate.
Florida has double the number of Covid deaths than they did for flu and pneumonia for all of 2019.

I would not say it isnt even debatable. Especially when the fatalities from influenza and pnuemonia (around 85,000 annually) are included as covid fatalities.
That’s not true. Florida keeps separate statistics on flu deaths and pneumonia deaths. Which ironically the pneumonia deaths so far this year or more than double than they’ve ever been.

Florida has double the number of Covid deaths than they did for flu and pneumonia for all of 2019.
But the flu and pnuemonia deaths are included as covid cases, so of course its higher....

No they are not
The state of Florida counted a motorcylcle fatality as a covid death...

https://www.politifact.com/factchec...florida-undercounting-covid-19-deaths-uses-f/

Here is a direct quote:

"For the 5,185 figure that Squire tweeted, "many of them actually are pneumonia due to COVID-19, or pneumonia due to other conditions such as influenza," Anderson said. "But the fact is those with pneumonia due to COVID-19 would be counted in both COVID-19 and pneumonia category" in the provisional data."

Florida new cases 7,160
Florida new deaths 62
.008% death rate.
You can't look at new cases vs new deaths. New cases are not fully flushed out yet... it takes several days for the data to come in for it to be complete so they really shouldn't report on new cases to begin with and they especially shouldn't report on it. For the total numbers the death rate is sitting at around 1.5%

This is part of the gigantic wave of misinformation that is out there all together.

That isn’t relevant to whether pneumonia and flu are separate death statistics.
It's completely relevant. If a motorcycle fatality can be included in covid fatality stats so are others. In fact I qouted the article showing that a pnumonia death is counted as pnumonia AND covid...

It's completely relevant. If a motorcycle fatality can be included in covid fatality stats so are others. In fact I qouted the article showing that a pnumonia death is counted as pnumonia AND covid...
Even if we assume your premise is true it has no relevance to liability with lawsuits.

That isn’t relevant to whether pneumonia and flu are separate death statistics.

No they are all included as is “cases”. CV-19 death statistics from CDC specifically state Covid19/FLI (flu like illness) if you think all of these deaths and cases numbers are accurate I don’t know what to tell you. Cases alone are just that “cases” both the PCR test and antibody tests being calculated and tracking and tracing “cases” are being added without needing a positive test. But hey, it’s an election year! Go Noles!!!

No they are all included as is “cases”. CV-19 death statistics from CDC specifically state Covid19/FLI (flu like illness) if you think all of these deaths and cases numbers are accurate I don’t know what to tell you. Cases alone are just that “cases” both the PCR test and antibody tests being calculated and tracking and tracing “cases” are being added without needing a positive test. But hey, it’s an election year! Go Noles!!!
What does any of this have to do with risk management and liability analysis and lawsuits?

You just said that the state has double the number of covid deaths than for flu AND pnuemonia. Make up your mind.

Traditionally airborne illnesses have not been the basis of liability. Just think about the slippery slope that would open. Mom sends little Jimmy who woke up with the sniffles to his third grade class and gets the whole class sick. All of those kids incur damages in the form of trips to the family doctor and/or over the counter medication, etc. I'm not going to say nobody has ever tried to use, but imagine if you could sue for invisible airborne illnesses... I'm just not sure the Courts will even entertain this.

It'll have to be something more than simply someone testing positive. It'll have to be something more than mere positive testing, for example, they mishandle equipment that was used by someone who tested positively causing someone else to get sick. Even then, I'm not sure how the Courts would handle that.

Thank you for posting facts!

You just said that the state has double the number of covid deaths than for flu AND pnuemonia. Make up your mind.
Florida flu and pneumonia deaths in 2019 was 3,019.

We had more Covid deaths than that in July of this year.

Pops - According to Johns Hopkins the COVID and the flu are very similar and at worse, the flu affects more and kills more.

COVID-19: Lasting damage to the lungs, heart, kidneys, brain and other organs is possible after a severe case of COVID-19.

Flu: Influenza complications can include inflammation of the heart (myocarditis), brain (encephalitis) or muscles (myositis, rhabdomyolysis) tissues, and multi-organ failure.

Infections
COVID-19: The first cases appeared in China in late 2019 and the first confirmed case in the United States appeared in January 2020.

Approximately 18,093,891 cases have been confirmed worldwide. There have been 4,667,957 cases in the U.S. as of August 3, 2020.*

Flu: The World Health Organization estimates that 1 billion people worldwide get the flu every year.

In the U.S., for Oct. 1, 2019 – Apr. 4, 2020, the CDC estimates that there were 39 million to 56 million cases of flu. (The CDC does not know the exact number because the flu is not a reportable disease in most parts of the U.S.)

I am not saying COVID is not a serious issue. What I am saying is that it is no more series than many other pandemics/epidemics that we have seen over the last 100 years and what we see year to year. So what should we do, just cancel sports every year? There are always issues that would put these athletes at risk, why is it so different this time around?

Florida flu and pneumonia deaths in 2019 was 2,703.

We had more Covid deaths than that in July of this year.
When pretty much any sickness, motrcycle accident, or god knows what else is counted as covid you can make whatever numbers you want.

Pops - According to Johns Hopkins the COVID and the flu are very similar and at worse, the flu affects more and kills more.

COVID-19: Lasting damage to the lungs, heart, kidneys, brain and other organs is possible after a severe case of COVID-19.

Flu: Influenza complications can include inflammation of the heart (myocarditis), brain (encephalitis) or muscles (myositis, rhabdomyolysis) tissues, and multi-organ failure.

Infections
COVID-19: The first cases appeared in China in late 2019 and the first confirmed case in the United States appeared in January 2020.

Approximately 18,093,891 cases have been confirmed worldwide. There have been 4,667,957 cases in the U.S. as of August 3, 2020.*

Flu: The World Health Organization estimates that 1 billion people worldwide get the flu every year.

In the U.S., for Oct. 1, 2019 – Apr. 4, 2020, the CDC estimates that there were 39 million to 56 million cases of flu. (The CDC does not know the exact number because the flu is not a reportable disease in most parts of the U.S.)

I am not saying COVID is not a serious issue. What I am saying is that it is no more series than many other pandemics/epidemics that we have seen over the last 100 years and what we see year to year. So what should we do, just cancel sports every year? There are always issues that would put these athletes at risk, why is it so different this time around?
Okay now do flu deaths every year. In the United States. Flu also has a vaccine, which limits its death rates. Covid does not right now.

When pretty much any sickness, motrcycle accident, or god knows what else is counted as covid you can make whatever numbers you want.
How many deaths were falsely attributed to covid?

Infections

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!

How many deaths were falsely attributed to covid?
Well thats the point, we don't know the exact number. We know for a fact that those who died of influenza, and pnumonia are included in covid stats. As well as at least one person who died in a motorcycle accident. Who knows how many more people who died of cancer or other issues have been added.

Well thats the point, we don't know the exact number. We know for a fact that those who died of influenza, and pnumonia are included in covid stats. As well as at least one person who died in a motorcycle accident. Who knows how many more people who died of cancer or other issues have been added.
So your point is that liability is not an issue because the exact number of deaths might be a let’s say several thousand less?

How about calling in tens of thousands of students into a University? If the team is following suggested protocols and the student attends a gathering without protocols as most do or will, wouldn't a reasonable person assume the point contagion be outside the University? Wouldn't the fact of so many testing positive in the state of Florida make the case more difficult to hold a University liable?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT