ADVERTISEMENT

Condo Collapse

The collapse of the Surfside condo is tragic - and points to the challenges of building close to the ocean.
As of this morning over 150 people remain unaccounted for.
Anyone here have a place on the Gulf or Atlantic?
NSB condo owner here. Solid as a rock — built per modern building codes — and will be secure for the rest of my life at least. This thing in Sufside was older and already showing signs of problems as early as 2018. I’ll predict there was long-term moisture intrusion, and/or rebar failure, at critical support points. Once a few million pounds start falling in any area, other stuff is necessarily coming with it.

Godspeed to everyone impacted. A horrible/tragic ordeal. The lawsuits will be epic.

NSB condo owner here. Solid as a rock — built per modern building codes — and will be secure for the rest of my life at least. This thing in Sufside was older and already showing signs of problems as early as 2018. I’ll predict there was long-term moisture intrusion, and/or rebar failure, at critical support points. Once a few million pounds start falling in any area, other stuff is necessarily coming with it.

Godspeed to everyone impacted. A horrible/tragic ordeal. The lawsuits will be epic.
I did some Google Maps snooping yesterday. Look street level at the condo building that collapsed up to the balconies. There's multiple balconies that have exposed rebar due to concrete eroding away. There's a couple more condo buildings on the same block that don't have any exposed rebar. The building was either shifting more than the properties around it, used crap materials during construction, or the maintenance was piss poor. Either way its a sad situation.

I saw portions of the Structural Engineering Report, and the photos of the spalling were the worst I've ever seen in all my years as a licensed Florida CAM and a Manager of oceanfront condo communities in Ponte Vedra Beach. And they date to 2018, so I cannot imagine how much they had accelerated in the three years since. The building should have been condemned. This was an unnecessary and avoidable tragedy. .

Modern Florida building code does not mean annual maintenance can be delayed. I'm sure you know that.

I saw portions of the Structural Engineering Report, and the photos of the spalling were the worst I've ever seen in all my years as a licensed Florida CAM and a Manager of oceanfront condo communities in Ponte Vedra Beach. And they date to 2018, so I cannot imagine how much they had accelerated in the three years since. The building should have been condemned. This was an unnecessary and avoidable tragedy. .

Modern Florida building code does not mean annual maintenance can be delayed. I'm sure you know that.
When I saw it on TV, I told my son two things. Bet they find some reports indicating problems and bet (since it was put up in the early 1980s in Miami) they find some sub-standard building practices.

Rest assured that wifey picked a toney place where “maintenance” is ample and expensive. Just like with her hair, nails, yoga, clothes, personal trainer, etc., etc., etc. Absolutely no corner cutting for Mrs. Survivor. :)

When I saw it on TV, I told my son two things. Bet they find some reports indicating problems and bet (since it was put up in the early 1980s in Miami) they find some sub-standard building practices.
Would not shock me if they used salt water when they mixed the concrete way back when. Not an uncommon practice back in the day as contractors and developers tried to minimize expenses. But the salt water obviously wreaks havoc on the rebar. Maybe add some other water penetration and/or general lack of maintenance, and, well, here we are. Sad deal for all affected.

The collapse of the Surfside condo is tragic - and points to the challenges of building close to the ocean.
Law suits already filed. Heard of stories of the parking garage always being wet and sounds of creeking. Reminds me too much of 9/11 and OKC. It literlary will be a miracle if any others can make it out alive. But God only knows.....

Last edited:

Avoidable indeed. I managed an an Apartment Complex in Southside across from the river for almost 25 years and though built in 1969 it was rock solid. The age and flat roof architecture required rigorous maintenance protocols, however. Thankfully, my owners were invested for the long haul. To inspire, the City of Jacksonville does do timely inspections. From your description, Goldmom, the building’s required remediation work was never done. Whether it was incompetence or greed, those poor souls are needlessly lost forever. Unforgivable.

I did some Google Maps snooping yesterday. Look street level at the condo building that collapsed up to the balconies. There's multiple balconies that have exposed rebar due to concrete eroding away. There's a couple more condo buildings on the same block that don't have any exposed rebar. The building was either shifting more than the properties around it, used crap materials during construction, or the maintenance was piss poor. Either way its a sad situation.

Also on Google street view you can see that the condo just south of the Champlain Towers was completed very recently.

The maintenance issues previously mentioned + the vibrations from 2-3 years of condo construction just yards away wasn't good for the 40yr old oceanside condo.

Which is strange because one of the interviews I saw on CNN was with a condo association member who said the only issues with high priority for this building was the roof, which was under construction.

Has the engineering company that did the certification report been identified yet?

Donna DiMaggio Berger, an attorney for the Champlain Towers condo association, told CNN's Chris Cuomo that the board met this morning, and they were not privy to any information that would have foreshadowed Thursday's disaster.

Berger said that the building was undergoing a 40-year re-certification process, and what knowledge the board had in terms of repair work came from the engineer's certification report.

"Typical things that an engineer looks for in a certification report in Miami-Dade and Broward County, which are the two counties that require this kind of certification, is a review of the roof, the HVAC system, electrical, plumbing, and the building envelope," Berger told Cuomo. "But certainly, there was nothing hazardous that was outlined in that report, anything that would have proven to be a danger to life."

Berger added that the engineer outlines what the priorities are, and the priority was the roof replacement, which was underway.

Cuomo asked Berger if the board was aware of research done in the 1990's that showed the area where the building collapsed showing signs of land subsidence.
Berger replied that they were aware, and she thinks it is significant, but her question to the professor or the team that undertook the research was, "Did they inform the city, did they inform the county, did they inform the state?

Many of the condo owners were elderly retirees or foreign nationals who weren’t year round occupants. The Condo Association was self-managed by volunteers.
That was either a cost-saving decision or no professional management company would take them on due to knowledge in the business that this Board was difficult and would not follow the 2018 engineering report. It does not take three years to act on such a report. I saw this morning that owners were told that a $100,000 special assessment was expected-that says dues were unrealistically low or they were not properly reserving for repairs and maintenance.

Many of the condo owners were elderly retirees or foreign nationals who weren’t year round occupants. The Condo Association was self-managed by volunteers.
That was either a cost-saving decision or no professional management company would take them on due to knowledge in the business that this Board was difficult and would not follow the 2018 engineering report. It does not take three years to act on such a report. I saw this morning that owners were told that a $100,000 special assessment was expected-that says dues were unrealistically low or they were not properly reserving for repairs and maintenance.
Condominiums across from me had responsible owners on their Association's Board but were constantly being blindsided by absentee owners, who didn't qualify tenants and ignored rules and regulations. They were in over their heads. The Association's President finally gave up and brought in a professional management company that put proper protocols in place and some harsh fines on non responsive owners. I read some owners in Surfside had applied for loans to pay the assessment and that banks were coming after family members for mortgage payments. How sad, if true. They won't be able to attach a lessee, according to Florida law. Your heart goes out to those poor people.

Reactions: goldmom
Hi…just saw this. We’re in a four story low rise with a first floor garage built in 2008…east of A1A, but not directly on the sand, 50 yards west of the sand. Our three sister properties…one completed in 2008 and one in 2017 sit on the sand and the final property also built in 2017 is 50 yards from the sand. The buildings on the sand take a beating….but luckily all were built years after Hurricane Andrew….so these four building were built like fortresses. I’ve been thinking about this tragedy…it’s going to change the construction and maintenance landscape for years to come. So terribly sad…

Thank you for all your hard work in getting this crucial message to us. Please keep your due diligence and keep checking back with us so we know we are getting the latest news from the best resource. And fair and balanced, too.

my initial speculation was that the building used post tension construction and someone during construction or a contractor after the fact had cut one or more of the tensioned cables and time finally overcame that. From the video that F4Gary posted it appears that one or a combination of developer, GC, architect went against original engineering plans.

the receiver appointed to handle this is very thorough and will absolutely delve into that.

Now the Dade County Courthouse is closed because of “safety concerns.” I have no idea what issues or characteristics may be manifesting themselves there. But I hope “building closures” do not become the next “thing” that is taken out of context, etc.

The condos at Surfside had OPEN AND NOTORIOUS ISSUES that were ignored. If something like that is afoot, then close away and fix, of course. But, absent something dramatic, buildings are not suddenly going to start collapsing out of the blue.

Reactions: Spenser1
The Courthouse doesn't sit right on the ocean and has undergone significant maintenance over the years. It was built in 1928 after a few bad hurricanes knocked down some buildings in a rapidly growing Miami. It's not a bad idea to give it an inspection but I suspect it wasn't a quick throw em up like condo developers were doing forty years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT