ADVERTISEMENT

Confederate graves in Tallahassee and statues?

Duo

Veteran Seminole Insider
Jul 23, 2006
Along with this whole anti-statue thing I was wondering if the old graveyard in Tallahassee with quite a few grave markers for Confederate soldiers that died in the Civil War is in tact and still exists? Wondering if Confederate soldier's graves are being desecrated or the stones removed or the graves dug up? I can't imagine it but then I couldn't imagine people's livelihoods being taken away because of Halloween costumes either!

Also, speaking of statues, I read where Condeleeza Rice said the Emancipation statue of Abraham Lincoln freeing a slave in the DC area, that some people want removed, was commissioned and funded by freed slaves. Seems like for the group that wants the statue removed, that removing it would be a "cutting off your nose to spite your face" type of move. Has the pendulum on these issues gone too far?

The old one on Park/Jefferson is still there. I think Francis Eppes is buried there.

Along with this whole anti-statue thing I was wondering if the old graveyard in Tallahassee with quite a few grave markers for Confederate soldiers that died in the Civil War is in tact and still exists? Wondering if Confederate soldier's graves are being desecrated or the stones removed or the graves dug up? I can't imagine it but then I couldn't imagine people's livelihoods being taken away because of Halloween costumes either!

Also, speaking of statues, I read where Condeleeza Rice said the Emancipation statue of Abraham Lincoln freeing a slave in the DC area, that some people want removed, was commissioned and funded by freed slaves. Seems like for the group that wants the statue removed, that removing it would be a "cutting off your nose to spite your face" type of move. Has the pendulum on these issues gone too far?

I haven't heard of anything going down in the old cemetary. Those graves do not need to be messed with. People are buried there.

Pendulums always swing too far before they come back towards the middle.

I haven't heard of anything going down in the old cemetary. Those graves do not need to be messed with. People are buried there.

Pendulums always swing too far before they come back towards the middle.
OK, thanks for letting us know. I remember walking around a long time ago and reading the epitaphs on the grave stones. There were a lot of Confederate Soldiers buried there that died in the Civil War.

OK, thanks for letting us know. I remember walking around a long time ago and reading the epitaphs on the grave stones. There were a lot of Confederate Soldiers buried there that died in the Civil War.

I am not sure that I would classify that cemetery as containing "a lot of" Civil War Confederate burials . A lot would be the ones here in Georgia, or near battlefields and in Virginia. There were not many battles at all in Tallahassee or the surrounding area, so most were probably soldiers that were buried after the war and veterans.

No one should desecrate any solider's graves, including the ones from Nazi soldiers in Illinois and here in GA. Most people are unaware that we had many POW camps here in the US.

Was reading last night about statues that in some way related to the South and/or the Confederacy that have been or are being taken down. Does anyone know just where all those things are going? Is there a gathering point anywhere? Will they be melted down or blown up or erected in some other location? Where will all the monuments go? Is this denying history? What about the Cyclorama and other monuments in Atlanta?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT