ADVERTISEMENT

Costco advice

Ok, I've seen these discussions before, and never paid much attention, but I picked up a Costco membership for $60 with a Groupon. I know Costco has it's adherents...so what's the best deals things going at Costco, primarily in terms of saving? It's not too far away, but we won't be going there for our regular weekly shopping...what's really worth stocking up on say once a month? Or what's much better at Costco than a grocery store?
I think a lot of the Kirkland brand products are good. Make a list and follow it. It is easy to over spend by binge shopping in Costco.

It was rumored that Beam used to supply the Kirkland's labeled bourbon several years ago. It was hot garbage. Those days are over as bottles available today specifically say Tennessee Straight Bourbon Whiskey on the label. Beam (who distills Knob Creek) does not have any distilleries in Tennessee. It is thought that Collier and McKeel are the current distillers.

"Tennessee Straight Bourbon Whiskey". I thought all bourbon was produced in Kentucky. Jack Daniels is NOT bourbon. It is Tennessee sipping whiskey.
Would some Liquor Einstein help me out here?

swag.gif

Soddy. I thought Fred Astaire had passed on.

Reactions: SoddyNole
"Tennessee Straight Bourbon Whiskey". I thought all bourbon was produced in Kentucky. Jack Daniels is NOT bourbon. It is Tennessee sipping whiskey.

Although they don't market it as such, Jack (as well as Dickel which I like better) meet all of the requirements to be labelled as "Straight Bourbon" if they so chose. Basically, it's a Straight Bourbon that has been charcoal filtered (and wool filtered by hand as well for Dickel) through Sugar maple ash.

Reactions: phideltflg
A lot of people think that, but it is incorrect. The TBB's only requirement to label a product as Straight Bourbon Whiskey is that it be at least a 51% corn mashbill that comes off the still at no more than 160 proof. From there, it has to go into new charred oak barrels at no more than 125 proof and no less than two years. The whiskey can be a combination of distillates that meet the above criteria as long as they are produced in the same state. Additionally, it must display an age statement if younger than four years.

A lot of people think that, but it is incorrect. The TBB's only requirement to label a product as Straight Bourbon Whiskey is that it be at least a 51% corn mashbill that comes off the still at no more than 160 proof. From there, it has to go into new charred oak barrels at no more than 125 proof and no less than two years. The whiskey can be a combination of distillates that meet the above criteria as long as they are produced in the same state. Additionally, it must display an age statement if younger than four years.

It also has to be made in the good old US of A to be called bourbon.

They're not always there, but it's been a good summer. However, for some odd reason I can't find beef ribs.

I'll tell you what irritated me with my trip yesterday to Costco. No flap steak. I love that cut as it's far more flavourful than filet, sirloin or other common cuts yet it's still pretty tender unlike other flavourful cuts AND it's dirt cheap to boot. All they had this time was the usual cuts plus flank steak, so if they don't bring back the flaps I may riot.

Buit1miCMAEak58.jpg

images

331f4-this-is-sparta-meme-generator-this-is-costco-8f2dce.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bartdog
Last edited:
Reactions: phideltflg
Read this WAY too fast and came close to being confused on an intriguing level.

Anyone who has had one of my personally seasoned and cooked steak starts involuntarily fapping. It's a danger of knowing me.

So I would never say I have no fap steaks. I have go fap steaks.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Wish we could find the prime packers at our Costco. When they do carry packers, it is always Choice.

They're not always there, but it's been a good summer. However, for some odd reason I can't find beef ribs.

The only place I can find quality beef ribs in JAX is at Winn Dixie or a mom n pop butcher shop. I've never seen them at our Costco.

Ok, might as well update after jumping in with two feet this weekend.

First..the place is a nightmare on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Going to have to get out first thing they open from now one, because navigating through that was hell. Kind of drives me nuts that all they have is those giant carts, so there's a bunch of old ladies pushing giant carts with one sweater or a loaf of bread. That doesn't help matters.

Overall, didn't find their selection as good as I expected. And I didn't find the savings on paper products and dry foods really remarkable enough to be worth dealing with storing of things. Making room for multiple giant boxes of cereal isn't worth saving 40 cents a box to me. Especially because much of that stuff is as cheap or cheaper at Aldi without having to buy a ton of it. However, there were a few things here or there that were good deals because they were on sale, and getting them off the weekly shopping list for a while is worth it if I'm already there, but probably not worth it's own trip. I had a list of about 12 things to look at buying, and ended up opting to get all but 2-3 at the regular grocery store.

However...the meat.

I was a bit skeptical but went in for some chicken breasts and steaks. I've never grilled prime steaks before and was dubious about noticing the difference, so I went in for sirloins at $9.99/lb before taking a flyer on ribeyes or strips for $18/lb. Unlike many people here, I've got no problem with a good sirloin steak...for me it's a good value proposition when better steaks aren't on sale. It's not my very favorite, but I do like it perfectly well...I don't mind the slightly less tender chew, and usually the flavor is pretty solid. I'm perfectly happy grilling a sirloin.

Well hell, those steaks were incredible. I've often complained that steaks don't taste like they did when I was younger, even when they're pretty good. Well, this was a throwback...the smell on the grill alone was way better than grocery steaks. The juices ran red, not brown, like they used to back in the day. It was incredibly tender for a sirloin. I've taken to marinating my steaks, especially sirloins, in a faux-age marinade, but skipped it for just salt and pepper so I could get a better read...and was pretty shocked just how flavorful it was.

Also appreciate the trimming...thick cut, and was pretty much all edible without the thick rind fat and tendons that you often get at the grocery store. Kroger is the damn worst...I'll pick up a sirloin that looks beautiful, open it up, and the bottom hidden side will be racked with grizzle. I've taken steaks back before. But these were totally good to go.

The chicken was excellent as well...also appreciate how well trimmed that was.

So, for as much as I like to grill, I look forward to working my way through all the options. Curious to try some of their choice, and get a sense of whether it's the prime quality, or just a better all around beef, that creates much of the difference. I imagine that I might grab a few items here or there when I go for meat, but probably wouldn't make the trip and fight the madhouse if I wasn't getting stuff for the grill.

Reactions: West Duval Nole
My wife and daughter went to visit her parents on the island last week. I guess Grandpa took my little one to Costco. All she could talk about when she got home was how awesome Costco was because it had samples everywhere and then you got a hot dog at the end. She made e promise that I would take her to our Costco next weekend for shopping. I was laughing, wondering if my daughter was a poster on this board.

Ok, might as well update after jumping in with two feet this weekend.

First..the place is a nightmare on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Going to have to get out first thing they open from now one, because navigating through that was hell. Kind of drives me nuts that all they have is those giant carts, so there's a bunch of old ladies pushing giant carts with one sweater or a loaf of bread. That doesn't help matters.

Overall, didn't find their selection as good as I expected. And I didn't find the savings on paper products and dry foods really remarkable enough to be worth dealing with storing of things. Making room for multiple giant boxes of cereal isn't worth saving 40 cents a box to me. Especially because much of that stuff is as cheap or cheaper at Aldi without having to buy a ton of it. However, there were a few things here or there that were good deals because they were on sale, and getting them off the weekly shopping list for a while is worth it if I'm already there, but probably not worth it's own trip. I had a list of about 12 things to look at buying, and ended up opting to get all but 2-3 at the regular grocery store.

However...the meat.

I was a bit skeptical but went in for some chicken breasts and steaks. I've never grilled prime steaks before and was dubious about noticing the difference, so I went in for sirloins at $9.99/lb before taking a flyer on ribeyes or strips for $18/lb. Unlike many people here, I've got no problem with a good sirloin steak...for me it's a good value proposition when better steaks aren't on sale. It's not my very favorite, but I do like it perfectly well...I don't mind the slightly less tender chew, and usually the flavor is pretty solid. I'm perfectly happy grilling a sirloin.

Well hell, those steaks were incredible. I've often complained that steaks don't taste like they did when I was younger, even when they're pretty good. Well, this was a throwback...the smell on the grill alone was way better than grocery steaks. The juices ran red, not brown, like they used to back in the day. It was incredibly tender for a sirloin. I've taken to marinating my steaks, especially sirloins, in a faux-age marinade, but skipped it for just salt and pepper so I could get a better read...and was pretty shocked just how flavorful it was.

Also appreciate the trimming...thick cut, and was pretty much all edible without the thick rind fat and tendons that you often get at the grocery store. Kroger is the damn worst...I'll pick up a sirloin that looks beautiful, open it up, and the bottom hidden side will be racked with grizzle. I've taken steaks back before. But these were totally good to go.

The chicken was excellent as well...also appreciate how well trimmed that was.

So, for as much as I like to grill, I look forward to working my way through all the options. Curious to try some of their choice, and get a sense of whether it's the prime quality, or just a better all around beef, that creates much of the difference. I imagine that I might grab a few items here or there when I go for meat, but probably wouldn't make the trip and fight the madhouse if I wasn't getting stuff for the grill.

The two best beef cuts at Costco imo is the flap steak and the ribeye cap steak (it's a "processed steak, ie they take strips off the cap of the ribeye and they wrap them in a circle with butchers twine).

xYa9tVq_d.jpg

index.php

The flap is big grained steak but flavorful when overcooked like in this picture below imo it gets stringy. Not stringy as in filled with tendon but like pot roast where it falls apart in muscle bands. I personally like it best cooked very rare/Pittsburg bleu with a nice dry rub (I make several different myself, but usually go with a Moroccan or a Cajun coffee). It's got the best flavor of all of the steaks imo for rare preps as it's got intense beefiness with a decent amount of fine marbling so you don't get big chunks of raw fat like you do in a ribeye or even a porterhouse. If you don't cook it rare then it does take marinades well (due to those loose big grains when cooked) when you cook it to medium or past that.

6a00d8348fae9953ef0134890981dd970c-pi

The ribeye cap steaks I usually cook to about medium or at least medium rare mainly due to health concerns (because it's a "processed steak" ie there's exposed surface area in the middle of the steak that could be a bacteria haven), but it's got such a nice blend of fat that it takes higher finishing temps well. And while I love ultra rare steaks for the tasty meat, every so often I want the rendered fat in a medium or so steak. And the ribeye cap steak is perfect for that.

As for regular sirloin...that's probably my least favorite cut period and I never cook it at home and seldom get it unless at a high end restaurant and the prep sounds great. It's not flavorful like a flap, flank, skirt or chuck and it's not as tender and/or "buttery" like a filet, ribeye, cap or strip.

Last edited:
Reactions: West Duval Nole
The two best beef cuts at Costco imo is the flap steak and the ribeye cap steak (it's a "processed steak, ie they take strips off the cap of the ribeye and they wrap them in a circle with butchers twine).

xYa9tVq_d.jpg

index.php

The flap is big grained steak but flavorful when overcooked like in this picture below imo it gets stringy. Not stringy as in filled with tendon but like pot roast where it falls apart in muscle bands. I personally like it best cooked very rare/Pittsburg bleu with a nice dry rub (I make several different myself, but usually go with a Moroccan or a Cajun coffee). It's got the best flavor of all of the steaks imo for rare preps as it's got intense beefiness with a decent amount of fine marbling so you don't get big chunks of raw fat like you do in a ribeye or even a porterhouse. If you don't cook it rare then it does take marinades well (due to those loose big grains when cooked) when you cook it to medium or past that.

6a00d8348fae9953ef0134890981dd970c-pi

The ribeye cap steaks I usually cook to about medium or at least medium rare mainly do to health concerns (because it's a "processed steak" ie there's exposed surface area in the middle of the steak that could be a bacteria haven), but it's got such a nice blend of fat that it takes higher finishing temps well. And while I love ultra rare steaks for the tasty meat, every so often I want the rendered fat in a medium or so steak. And the ribeye cap steak is perfect for that.

As for regular sirloin...that's probably my least favorite cut period and I seldom get it unless at a high end restaurant and the prep sounds great. It's not flavorful like a flap, flank, skirt or chuck and it's not as tender and/or "buttery" like a filet, ribeye, cap or strip.

Those ribeye caps definitely caught my eye. Glad you mentioned how they were made, I wouldn't have made the connection of the processing and the ecoli potential.

Those ribeye caps definitely caught my eye. Glad you mentioned how they were made, I wouldn't have made the connection of the processing and the ecoli potential.

The best bbq dish I have ever had was burnt ends from the cap from a prime rib from Killen's BBQ. He used Texas Wagyu beef - it was insanely good.

The best bbq dish I have ever had was burnt ends from the cap from a prime rib from Killen's BBQ. He used Texas Wagyu beef - it was insanely good.

Saw a recipe on FB for "burnt ends" using a whole pork belly from costco. I think I'm going to have to try it. I know, it's not beef so it's not really burnt ends, but it looks amazing.

Costco rocks. Spent $14 last night on 54 Chocolate drizzle Rice Krispies, 16 Twinkies & 16 Cupcakes for beach trip. I'll be the kids hero for few days.

Costco rocks. Spent $14 last night on 54 Chocolate drizzle Rice Krispies, 16 Twinkies & 16 Cupcakes for beach trip. I'll be the kids hero for few days.

And they'll remember you every day for the rest of their lives when they clip on their insulin pumps!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT