ADVERTISEMENT

Could you go through your daily life without a cellphone?

Easily. In fact I did so until as recently as about 3 years ago, and to this day very, very few of my clients have my cell #. My office has it in case something is urgent enough to require my immediate attention, but hey, in the accounting world that situation is almost nonexistent, and when it happens is always the fault of the client ignoring things. My decision as to if it needs immediate attention hinges on whether they are willing to pay the fee needed to move up the priority list

I did it for 40 years so why not? Still had a landline back then

Easily also. I haven't had a landline in a dozen years and won't need one anytime soon. 90% of my cellphone use is either Google Maps or skimming websites, and a little bit of planning would take care of those sans phone.

In terms of modern conveniences, I'd put it above the TV and below the automobile in terms of how it would impact my life if it suddenly became unavailable.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
wife and I were at Jensen Beach for a week this year and we left our phones in the room and I enjoyed it. But I love to read, so it would be hard to go without.

I'd probably need to see if any of my old watches still work, or buy a new one.

Not if I still needed to work. If you mean emotionally, absolutely.

My vision of "making it" is only being available when you want to be available. When I hit that, I'll get a flip phone and leave it at home the majority of the time.

Reactions: 12Nole
The work phone, no. The personal phone, absolutely.

I remember when they started being widely available and I couldn't wait to get my first one. Now I wish I didn't have one at all.

Not having my cell phone would be a problem almost anytime of the year. Christmas Holidays might be possible. Cell phone is only contact info people I work with have and all my email accounts come to it. Life is hard enough when I spend a half day or so in a building where cell phones aren't allowed. It is not just communications etc. but someone will say do you have so and so's number or do you have this info and the answer is always yes but it is in my cell phone.
Before cell phones and when I was at FSU I did a semester where I didn't wear a watch, slept on the floor next to my dogs when I was tired and basically tried to not pay attention to time. Did this after reading a book about a woman who decided to follow her dogs schedule. The process was interesting and there was significantly less stress.

wife and I were at Jensen Beach for a week this year and we left our phones in the room and I enjoyed it. But I love to read, so it would be hard to go without.

Yeah, I love to read as well. Back in the day, there used to be these things, they were kind of bulky, but felt good in my hands ... Books! That's what they were called. Anyways, instead of on a website that comes to your screen, they printed the words on these pages of paper. Same thing for when I used to want to keep up with what was going on in the world, they used papers to print out what the news was instead of using websites. I used to love those things. But, until they start making those things again, I can't do without my phone.

Reactions: KitingHigh
Sure, but I would miss it greatly. I like the convenience. I like being able to go down a rabbit hole in Wikipedia while sitting at the airport or when I can't sleep. I like being able to shoot off a quick texts to family members to say hello. I like leaving work early and handling calls from my car. I use Google maps and weather apps all the time. I like reading and posting on the LR threads.

I remember the hassle of trying to find pay phones (and spare change), not being able to find people in emergencies, and having to bounce from store to store for that item you're looking for or from hotel to hotel to find a vacancy on a road trip.

So, yeah, I'd hate to go without it.

In terms of modern conveniences, I'd put it above the TV and below the automobile in terms of how it would impact my life if it suddenly became unavailable.

I could easily survive without a car as I work from home. I could NOT survive without my phone.

I’m as Tech heavy as anyone short of a computer programmer as I’ve got a 34 inch curved HP Envy All in One in my home office, a Lenovo 920 hybrid laptop, an iPad Pro (the smaller one), and a small windows tablet of some sort I keep around to test out my EMR company’s tablet functionality. But I spend 90+% of my Tech time on my iPhone 7 Plus. (And yes it’s probably time to upgrade but I’ve heard some negative things about the iPhone X and haven’t been able to see or test it live before dropping the k.

Yeah, I love to read as well. Back in the day, there used to be these things, they were kind of bulky, but felt good in my hands ... Books! That's what they were called. Anyways, instead of on a website that comes to your screen, they printed the words on these pages of paper.

I don't get to read as much as I used to (getting better) but I prefer books and own an E-reader. I just prefer books.

When we go camping, we lose service every time. An it doesn't bother me one bit. I like having the access to all the information a smartphone provides, but really think it is a nicety not a necessity. I did drop our landline years ago.

I don't access work via my personal phone. I keep my worlds separate these days but work can get me on my personal if needed.

Sure, but I would miss it greatly. I like the convenience. I like being able to go down a rabbit hole in Wikipedia while sitting at the airport or when I can't sleep. I like being able to shoot off a quick texts to family members to say hello. I like leaving work early and handling calls from my car. I use Google maps and weather apps all the time. I like reading and posting on the LR threads.

I remember the hassle of trying to find pay phones (and spare change), not being able to find people in emergencies, and having to bounce from store to store for that item you're looking for or from hotel to hotel to find a vacancy on a road trip.

So, yeah, I'd hate to go without it.
I'm pretty much the same. Sure, I could go without it, but I wouldn't want to. There are too many things that it makes far too easy to want to revert back to the olden days..

I also remember having to look up directions online and print them out to take with me when I went somewhere new. And if there was a problem on the route like a closed road or something, you were screwed. Sure, maybe you had a map of wherever you were going, but that was outdated as soon as it was printed.

As it is I have one device that can connect me to anyone and anything in the world: why would I want to go without that?

There are days when I think it would be great to be without a phone just to get some peace and solitude. On the whole though, I like having the convenience of everything that I can get from looking at my phone. Where it used to frustrate me the most is when I was working at my last job and people would call me and email me on vacation and expect immediate replies.

Smartphones have changed our lives in so many ways. I think about going to a football game as an example. Fifteen years ago, I would have never pulled my cell phone out of my pocket during a football game. If I wanted scores from another game, I would find out when I got home; if I wanted to talk to someone about the game, I'd call or talk to them about it later. Now, I find myself royally pissed off at Doak when my cell service is crap because I want to be texting, looking/posting on Twitter, checking other scores on ESPN, etc. It is amazing how aggravating it is when the LTE service is crap and yet years ago, it would have been just fine.

I could not. My company requires 2 part authentication for my e-mail, so I'm required to get a text message with access code to sign on to e-mail.

Google also is requiring text authentication for my personal gmail account when I sign on from a new IP address.

I'm pretty much the same. Sure, I could go without it, but I wouldn't want to. There are too many things that it makes far too easy to want to revert back to the olden days..

I also remember having to look up directions online and print them out to take with me when I went somewhere new. And if there was a problem on the route like a closed road or something, you were screwed. Sure, maybe you had a map of wherever you were going, but that was outdated as soon as it was printed.

As it is I have one device that can connect me to anyone and anything in the world: why would I want to go without that?

Before the internet you would have a stack of these?

17486205-Close-up-image-of-a-folded-map-against-white-background-Stock-Photo.jpg

You had the driver and navigator. The navigator was always folding and unfolding and never seemed to give you the proper advice until you passed the turn. Many a divorce got their beginnings on out of town trips.

I've actually contemplated downgrading to a flip phone. My company pays my phone bill and as the company that bought us takes over if we keep them paying our bill they will "own" our number. Which means when I quit this job down the road I would use a number I have had for 6 years.

This happened the last time a major company bought a start up I was working for, and it sucked, I'd had that other number for 10 years.. I may get a flip phone and switch my current number to that phone and put a new number that my company owns on the iPhone and just use that one for work. Just carry the basic flipper on weekends etc.

I hate being tied to this damn computer.

Before the internet you would have a stack of these?

17486205-Close-up-image-of-a-folded-map-against-white-background-Stock-Photo.jpg

You had the driver and navigator. The navigator was always folding and unfolding and never seemed to give you the proper advice until you passed the turn. Many a divorce got their beginnings on out of town trips.
When we first moved to northern Virginia the wife and i got into a fight the first time we drove into D.C.. She was navigating, a road was closed, and her printed out mapquest directions were rendered useless. I knew it wasn't her fault, but that didn't help our frustration much at the time.

Last edited:
I've actually contemplated downgrading to a flip phone. My company pays my phone bill and as the company that bought us takes over if we keep them paying our bill they will "own" our number. Which means when I quit this job down the road I would use a number I have had for 6 years.

This happened the last time a major company bought a start up I was working for, and it sucked, I'd had that other number for 10 years.. I may get a flip phone and switch my current number to that phone and put a new number that my company owns on the iPhone and just use that one for work. Just carry the basic flipper on weekends etc.

I hate being tied to this damn computer.
Whenever you leave just tell them you need the number ported over. And if they push back tell them you have been managing sales for a med device company for the past x years and do they really want to screw around over that simple request.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT