ADVERTISEMENT

"Coward of Broward" Deputy gets 100k pension

It's not uncommon in some states of public sector to collect two pensions. I know more than a handful of California life guards that put their requisite time in, "retired" at age 45 and became EMTs. HPD and HFD (Houston) has a name for guys that are pulling their last 3 years before retirement. You go to your captain and you tell him/her that you are retiring and you need to pull the "whatever the name is called." Thereafter, you are basically assigned to all the overtime assignments and your work all the time.

Our paper used to publish the top earning cops and fire department. It was street cops making 170K - 190K. On top of that, they can work private security jobs at dance halls and quincenera halls. They had street cops making $240K. Of course, those news report stopped.
It's really hard for municipalities to come down on the abuse of overtime, also. If they try, the union's strategy is to publicly call out anyone questioning the OT abuse - asking why they hate first responders, etc.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
It's really hard for municipalities to come down on the abuse of overtime, also. If they try, the union's strategy is to publicly call out anyone questioning the OT abuse - asking why they hate first responders, etc.

I'm always amazed how alleged scandals just disappear. A couple of years ago, we had a traffic cop kill himself in the parking garage at the muni-court because his scam of writing fake tickets so that he could collect overtime for going to court to testify was about to be busted. Allegedly, there were a lot of cops involved in this scam. And it all just disappeared.

As of now, a traditional pension is still an option for new employees. They are really pushing the 401k route though.
Regular employees get 1.6% for each year employed. High risk employees get 2.5%. High risk is defined as first responders, DOC employees, etc. One has to be employed for 6 years to be vested. Regular employees can't start collecting without penalty until 65 years old. High risk can collect in full when they retire regardless of age.

DSF,

Perhaps I was grandfathered in ( I began with the state in 1988 and I left in late 2017 ) but I could've ( can ) activate my pension immediately upon my departure date regardless of my age ( I was 56 when I resigned ). It is punitive to take it at less than 30 years of service, as you are penalized 5% for every year you are under the recognized retirement age of 62. When we need it, I'll crank it up, but with deferred comp and a working wife, no need for a 25 % reduced benefit and be taxed on the reduced amount to boot. I think any state employee can begin collecting their pension regardless of age as long as they have hit thirty years of service, or twenty five years for high risk employees. Now as for newer employees, I plead ignorance, but they are vested earlier than I was, six years versus ten for me.

DSF,

Perhaps I was grandfathered in ( I began with the state in 1988 and I left in late 2017 ) but I could've ( can ) activate my pension immediately upon my departure date regardless of my age ( I was 56 when I resigned ). It is punitive to take it at less than 30 years of service, as you are penalized 5% for every year you are under the recognized retirement age of 62. When we need it, I'll crank it up, but with deferred comp and a working wife, no need for a 25 % reduced benefit and be taxed on the reduced amount to boot. I think any state employee can begin collecting their pension regardless of age as long as they have hit thirty years of service, or twenty five years for high risk employees. Now as for newer employees, I plead ignorance, but they are vested earlier than I was, six years versus ten for me.

The rules vary depending on your start date (they changed in mid 2011), and they vary depending on whether you are in the "special risk" class.

Reactions: FSUDoles
The FRS is one of the most, if not the most, solvent pension systems in the country. Currently it is 84% funded, meaning if everyone retired now, they would get 84% of their benefits. There are currently assets of $161bil in the pension plan and $10bil in the investment plan. The demise of the system was a ploy used by some to push a specific agenda.

https://www.myfrs.com/PlanInformation.htm

Yes, the FRS is in good shape, but keep in mind that the FRS applies to state employees, county employees (including Sherrif's departments), and school district employees. The city Police and Fire departments are under the individual city retirement plans. Some of these city retirement plans are well funded, but many are struggling.

As for salaries, I do not have an issue with them in general. Starting salaries for law enforcement and fire fighters are still not that good, especially in your smaller cities and counties. It is not until much later in their careers that they make the higher salaries that their retirement benefit is based on. Most law enforcement agencies still have a hard time attracting well qualified candidates.

I think the approx. $100K pension is gonna break the system. Artificial earnings via massive overtime in the last years of employment are not sustainable and truly represent gaming the system. We can not justify that level of payment and most who have gotten to that level of retirement know they tricked the system.

Kenny_rogers-coward_of_the_county_s.jpg

Hopefully he feels horrendous guilt and that guilt, in turn, causes him to commit suicide.
We should start tormenting him on social media to see if we can force his hand. A bullet always tells the truth, he just needs Denzel to give him a bullet.

We should start tormenting him on social media to see if we can force his hand. A bullet always tells the truth, he just needs Denzel to give him a bullet.
I'm sure there are plenty that are tormenting him. There are a minimum of 17 souls that certainly ought to be.

My hunch is he changes his name and moves to Arizona to live out the rest of us days.

Being a fireman would be such a cush job. "Work" one day, have two off to either run another business or chill. Work days consist mostly of video games, cooking chili, and napping.

Downside is being surrounded by a bunch of GED holders who peaked during their 11th grade football season.

Being a fireman would be such a cush job. "Work" one day, have two off to either run another business or chill. Work days consist mostly of video games, cooking chili, and napping.

Downside is being surrounded by a bunch of GED holders who peaked during their 11th grade football season.
set__em_up_and_knock__em_down_by_cpw-d7uadqm.jpg

Reactions: DFSNOLE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT