ADVERTISEMENT

Dead Robots

What energy source power the charging stations that the electric vehicles use?

Seems like many folks will freeze to death when they run out of power

Imagine your on a trip out in the middle of nowhere

Needs a charge
Freezing cold

Chargers won’t charge
No power =no heat

No thanks

• Love
Reactions: trunole1
I guess once they mandate electric vehicles there will be no winter driving in the cold weather states. That will cut down on the accidents though.
Lived in the Chicago area for a year right after we left FSU. We had to have a dip stick heater to keep the oil warm at night Serious pain in the arse. That being said those folks do know how to drive in the snow.

Lived in the Chicago area for a year right after we left FSU. We had to have a dip stick heater to keep the oil warm at night Serious pain in the arse. That being said those folks do know how to drive in the snow.
If your car is dead it doesn’t matter how well you drive. Any car is a pain in the cold but an EV is another level.

Driving in snow is easy, it's trying to drive on a sheet of ice that folks can't do, including folks in snow country.

True. Been there, done that. We had an ice storm in Raleigh back in 2003 (I think). Didn’t drive for three days. Worse than anything I ever saw in St. Louis.

Reactions: goldmom
You've never heard of someone running out of gas in the middle of nowhere?
Sure, but that's not the point. In a gas car if it tells you there are 400 miles to empty that's pretty constant barring a punctured gas tank. And its doesn't change that much based on your speed, wind ect... With a EV your range can change based on a number of factors including temperature and not by a few miles but like Gary said in half. With that said if your range changes in a gas car you stop for gas. In an EV if your range changes you find a charging point nearest you which if you're traveling isn't simple and hope it works based on many other factors like weather.

Alot more variables go into a EV than a gas vehicle. The range thing is concerning to me along with the temperature factor. I really hope the folks behind these knew that temperature would be a factor on batteries and charging.

I left my cell phone in the car one time in Minnesota and it was below zero out. Came back and hour or so later and the phone was dead and wouldnt charge until it warmed up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT