ADVERTISEMENT

Derwin James!!

rtpnole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 30, 2006
Good Lord he almost beheaded that WR. His wallet might be a little lighter later this week.

It was a good hit but the NFL looks at whether the receiver was “defenseless” or not. That receiver never had a chance.

About as clear as a helmet to helmet call as you will see. I am not sure why a defender in that situation cannot just as easily drop down and hit and wrap up in the torso area. Still would have been a devastating hit and neither player would have left the game either by ejection or for concussion protocol. Furthermore DJ had a pretty blatant facemask penalty on the same drive.

Reactions: WillyNole
It was a good hit but the NFL looks at whether the receiver was “defenseless” or not. That receiver never had a chance.
But if he ran the route he was supposed to...Head coach takes up for his player:

"I know Derwin's intent, you have to establish intent, and I thought that he tried to lead with his shoulder," Staley said. "It's a play where [the Colts] obviously laid the guy out in a tough position, which is their fault, not ours, and Derwin made an aggressive play.

Reactions: Robear7
I was more worried about Derwin walking away after the hit. Intended or not, his head took a lot of impact on that hit.

Reactions: rtpnole
Not real sure how you can look at that hit and say it was a good hit. It was about as flagrant helmet to helmet you will see. As Seminole Wizard said it was lucky they were able to walk away from the hit.

Reactions: WillyNole
Illegal hit of a defenseless player. Too high, leading with his helmet with helmet to helmet contact. The intent was not a clean hit, it was to hurt the WR. Justified penalty, ejection and will be fined for this. No place in football for this.

Not real sure how you can look at that hit and say it was a good hit. It was about as flagrant helmet to helmet you will see. As Seminole Wizard said it was lucky they were able to walk away from the hit.
Derwin’s job is to separate the receiver from the ball. I don’t think he intended for it to be helmet to helmet but the receiver turned into him with his head lowered. Football is a violent sport so hits like that are bound to happen.

Reactions: GeddyLee09
Derwin’s job is to separate the receiver from the ball. I don’t think he intended for it to be helmet to helmet but the receiver turned into him with his head lowered. Football is a violent sport so hits like that are bound to happen.
You don’t understand this, do you? The hit not only illegal, it was intentional.

You don’t understand this, do you? The hit not only illegal, it was intentional.
The hit was intentional and by the letter of the rule was illegal but... I don't think his intent was to make an illegal hit or injure the other player. Seemed to e he was making a play and was too high because the receiver was going low. Not dirty IMO.

I understand it completely. It’s not black and white on these hits. They are literally flying through the air.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT