ADVERTISEMENT

Ebay Users

hatsbo

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Aug 3, 2006
Charlottesville, VA
I posted in the spring about my father in law's passing, finally sold the house and had the estate sale. He was career Navy and toured mainly the Pacific, so you know what that usually means. He had a load of electronics, some never left the box. I never used EBay before but it came in handy for pricing a lot of collectibles and housewares we had to unload. My MIL died before her husband and left behind a large doll collection reputedly worth 40k at one time. So we now have mostly vintage electronics and the dolls to sell. I priced some of the electronics on Ebay, I have a certain Thorens turntable that got 1500 on Ebay this year. Any experiences or tips on Ebay dealings would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be prepared to be disappointed is the best advice I can give you...dealing with the same myself right now...collectibles market has collapsed as the younger generation and ours has no interest in things like that..also no market at all for Crystal..China..Sterling Silverware etc as no one throws Dinner Parties these days like our Folks did...I always read this article when I get depressed about the whole process which frankly happens a lot..good luck

https://www.nextavenue.org/nobody-wants-parents-stuff/

Yea and what someone lists for a price on Ebay is not what the item is actually worth.

Good Point..so annoying when someone says it sells for X Dollars on E-Bay when actually they are referring to what it's listed at with no bids..many seem to be unaware that E-Bay has added a feature where you can see what similar items have sold for on the left side of the page..E-Bay has not made it easy to find(purposely I would guess) but it's there

Reactions: ericram and hatsbo
I'd do a little research and find a reputable company that does doll auctions on ebay and consign with them if you have a large collection possibly worth tens of thousands of dollars. Many buyers will shy away from the newbie seller, and its very well established that certain auction companies always generate higher prices. It will be worth your while to let someone else sell them as a lot rather than trying to sell them yourself to who knows how many buyers over who knows how many years.

You can probably sell the electronics yourself. Same here, though, if you open an account to sell. Every scammer on ebay got their goods at "an estate sale" or their "insert relative" died, so if you have something that buyers may think is a scam(fake), you may run into issues selling with no feedback..

I sold a bunch of trains for a friend, without the Krab meat. I had minimum amounts to accept and if they didn't sell, I raised the price. It actually worked. Now is the time for collectibles with the holidays around the corner (or already here if you are Walmart or Target)

I've got a bunch of baseball cards that were supp to be a good investment when I was a kid.

Does that crap have any value anymore? The sport barely garners much interest, I can't imagine pieces of paper with pictures of old players does either.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
I sold a bunch of trains for a friend, without the Krab meat. I had minimum amounts to accept and if they didn't sell, I raised the price. It actually worked. Now is the time for collectibles with the holidays around the corner (or already here if you are Walmart or Target)

For those who missed the trains/krab reference, I will resurrect the source:

CMA%20Crab.png

Reactions: hatsbo
I'd use a certified estate appraiser to help you with collectibles. Consider these guys - http://www.kennedybrothersauctions.com/
If you were at FSU in 1988-90, you might remember Kennedy's next to Bullwinkles. Same guys (also my college roommate) - very trustworthy and over 25 years experience. They have also been the auctioneers for the FSU women's athletic event that last few years.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of clearing the house before I put it on the market and downsize. I know ebay has changed their cut of what the sales price is and I don't want to mess with shipping. I've had a lot of success with Facebook Marketplace and have recommended to a couple of friends who have also had good success. Basically, it's Craigslist but with people that have profiles.

You should also post (or at least cross post) to your local 'online yard sale" and Facebook Community type pages. You never know who collects what in your own neighborhood and you can cut out any shipping costs and ebay fees.

Hatsbo..have had good success selling Furniture and other House Stuff on the 3 Online Platforms..Your Local Facebook Sales/MarketPlace..Craigslist and The LetGo App...did not move any Collectibles on those 3 Sites though

Reactions: GoNolesTX
I've got a bunch of baseball cards that were supp to be a good investment when I was a kid.

Does that crap have any value anymore? The sport barely garners much interest, I can't imagine pieces of paper with pictures of old players does either.

My dad and I used to collect baseball cards as a shared hobby when I was 5-18 or so and he continued it a little longer afterwards. It’s retained SOME value if you have decent cards but the prices haven’t gone up from the 90s if anything it’s gone down unless you are talking ultra old or ultra collectible ie the holy grails like Babe Ruth rookie cards.

I wouldn't deal with anything that has to be pieced out. I doubt that doll collection is worth $40k on ebay, but let's say it's worth $7-8k (hard to imagine already) if you sold each one individually. But when you start breaking things up, listing/shipping/selling them gets old very quickly, even if you're bringing in a little money on each one. I'd look to sell the whole batch to someone for a couple grand who has the time and inclination to sell them individually.

For something like that turntable, I'd advise looking to sell it to someone who knows what they're looking for/dealing with. Ebay's not terrible for it, but I'd hit some forums like AVSForums (and they have a classifieds section) to find a buyer. With a big ticket item like that, what you lose in ebay fees is going to make you sob. Plus you run the risk of issues, like the buyer declaring they got scammed and you get the payment reversed. They highly favor the buyer.

Honestly, I'd look at the truly valuable pieces that you would make at least $50 on (and your number might be higher depending on how you value your time), and not mess with anything else.

Depending on where you are, don't neglect Craigslist as well.

Oh, as far as that electronics goes, unless you find something with extreme collectible value like say an original Apple II or something, you probably mainly need to pay attention to the audio. Some audio really holds it's value if it's top notch stuff, but I can't think of anything else worth messing with.

I'd start by setting audio aside to deal with, and plan on any kind of old TVs, cameras, computer stuff, etc probably being given away (if you can).

I posted in the spring about my father in law's passing, finally sold the house and had the estate sale. He was career Navy and toured mainly the Pacific, so you know what that usually means. He had a shit load of electronics, some never left the box. I never used EBay before but it came in handy for pricing a lot of collectibles and housewares we had to unload. My MIL died before her husband and left behind a large doll collection reputedly worth 40k at one time. So we now have mostly vintage electronics and the dolls to sell. I priced some of the electronics on Ebay, I have a certain Thorens turntable that got 1500 on Ebay this year. Any experiences or tips on Ebay dealings would be appreciated.

As far as electronics, I would make the claim to being an expert when it comes to vintage game consoles and tabletop electronic games with a general idea of vintage tv and computer prices if you want the help. And my FIL is a collector and teacher for short wave radio equipment if you have any of that.

If it’s just parts and audio equipment I can’t help you.

I posted in the spring about my father in law's passing, finally sold the house and had the estate sale. He was career Navy and toured mainly the Pacific, so you know what that usually means. He had a shit load of electronics, some never left the box. I never used EBay before but it came in handy for pricing a lot of collectibles and housewares we had to unload. My MIL died before her husband and left behind a large doll collection reputedly worth 40k at one time. So we now have mostly vintage electronics and the dolls to sell. I priced some of the electronics on Ebay, I have a certain Thorens turntable that got 1500 on Ebay this year. Any experiences or tips on Ebay dealings would be appreciated.

If anyone stiffs you, just put them on your "disappearance" list. :D

Sports cards- the vintage star cards in the 7+ grade scale are worth quite a bit. A handful of 80's cards can go for a decent amount, graded as mint. The 90's cards are pretty much worthless. What the trading cards have done now is make numerous subset cards that are extremely hard to pull therefore they fetch a ton of money. Examples- 2016-17 Panini Prizm Ben Simmons current bid $2400, 2017-18 Donovan Mitchell National Treasures patch auto current bid $5050( who I've never heard of), 2017-18 Jayson Tatum National Treasures auto patch current bid $7400...you get the point.
20+ years ago there were only a few card companies and they made 1 basic card. Currently there a several card companies and each one of those have basic cards, super high end cards, numerous subsets of cards and middle of the road cards. I've seen those National Treasures packs sell for several hundred with boxes selling for several thousand.

As far as electronics, I would make the claim to being an expert when it comes to vintage game consoles and tabletop electronic games with a general idea of vintage tv and computer prices if you want the help. And my FIL is a collector and teacher for short wave radio equipment if you have any of that.

If it’s just parts and audio equipment I can’t help you.
Thanks, mainly receivers, amplifiers, tuners, recorders. Computer stuff consists of some monitors and printers. We also hauled 7 laptops out of there, two never left the box. Surprised he had a PlayStation, that sold in the garage sale back in the spring.

There are a number of different sites/apps now where you can list specific things. I use SidelineSwap for sports gear and have been very successful with it. My wife uses some other app to sell old designer purses. She's sold 13 in the past month, including one that was 18 years old. Most of the apps will let you decide if you want to include shipping or have the buyer pay shipping. Either way, upon the sale you print the shipping label and take it to whichever shipping service is being used.

Thanks, mainly receivers, amplifiers, tuners, recorders. Computer stuff consists of some monitors and printers. We also hauled 7 laptops out of there, two never left the box. Surprised he had a PlayStation, that sold in the garage sale back in the spring.

I'm not an expert on audio equipment value, but I know some receivers and amplifiers can hold some value, if they were very high end to begin with. Turntables and speakers as well. Things like cassette decks, older CD players, vcrs, not really. So you might have something of value there.

Be prepared to be disappointed is the best advice I can give you...dealing with the same myself right now...collectibles market has collapsed as the younger generation and ours has no interest in things like that..also no market at all for Crystal..China..Sterling Silverware etc as no one throws Dinner Parties these days like our Folks did...I always read this article when I get depressed about the whole process which frankly happens a lot..good luck

https://www.nextavenue.org/nobody-wants-parents-stuff/
I'm a little late to this thread...but Amen! My sister and I tell our mom (who's close to being a hoarder) we don't want any of her stuff and she gets livid...not her China, not her old dusty books, her giant gaudy furniture, etc. None of it. Chucking it all.

I'm a little late to this thread...but Amen! My sister and I tell our mom (who's close to being a hoarder) we don't want any of her stuff and she gets livid...not her China, not her old dusty books, her giant gaudy furniture, etc. None of it. Chucking it all.

When my mother died, I got a couple boxes of depression glass. Our family never had any valuable heirlooms, but we'd always been told that it was worth a lot of money. I took it to an antique dealer specializing in glass, who said basically it was worth maybe a couple bucks a piece. He said there were a few brands like Swarovski that would have value, but not just standard stuff. Went directly from there to the Salvation Army store, and dropped off all the legendary depression glass that had taken on mythical proportions over a couple generations in my family.

Don't get me started on china. When we got married, my wife got something like 18 place settings of china with every possible accoutrements..gravy boats, etc. 90% of it has never been unboxed in 20+ years. What was unboxed was to put on display in a china cabinet. We recently moved, and I could simply not convince my wife to get rid of it. It took her like two weeks to pack up the china cabinet display items, and I was like "for what"? Why are we shlepping these 20 boxes of china to our fifth location? It will NEVER be used. We'll end up splitting it between three kids when they get married, hopefully they'll actually use it until it breaks just so it gets used, or they'll take it straight to goodwill.

We got rid of everything else thankfully, and it was a lot. I gave away some handmade FSU girls dresses that my mother made on this board. Got rid of stuff from when I was a baby that my mother had saved, and a lot of childhood memories. But the thing I had to impress upon my wife is that everything, EVERYTHING we stick in a box this time in the attic is going to be something our kids have to go through and throw out when we're dead. What are my kids supposed to do with hand made baby outfit I wore in 1972? Or her baptism candle? We're not hauling any of that out to look at it again, I literally kept having to ask..."Cool, so we're saving that for our kids to throw out when we die?"

At some point, it's about being merciful to your kids. Why give them the guilt of having to trash it, or feel like they have to carry it on? We only boxed up and held onto stuff (books, special toys or clothes) that actually belonged to my kids, and that they might want when they're older and have their own kids. They can decide to throw them out or not, but that's it.

I'm not particularly sentimental, but it was still difficult to throw out stuff that meant enough to your mother to save it for you. But got to be done.

When my mother died, I got a couple boxes of depression glass. Our family never had any valuable heirlooms, but we'd always been told that it was worth a lot of money. I took it to an antique dealer specializing in glass, who said basically it was worth maybe a couple bucks a piece. He said there were a few brands like Swarovski that would have value, but not just standard stuff. Went directly from there to the Salvation Army store, and dropped off all the legendary depression glass that had taken on mythical proportions over a couple generations in my family.

Don't get me started on china. When we got married, my wife got something like 18 place settings of china with every possible accoutrements..gravy boats, etc. 90% of it has never been unboxed in 20+ years. What was unboxed was to put on display in a china cabinet. We recently moved, and I could simply not convince my wife to get rid of it. It took her like two weeks to pack up the china cabinet display items, and I was like "for what"? Why are we shlepping these 20 boxes of china to our fifth location? It will NEVER be used. We'll end up splitting it between three kids when they get married, hopefully they'll actually use it until it breaks just so it gets used, or they'll take it straight to goodwill.

We got rid of everything else thankfully, and it was a lot. I gave away some handmade FSU girls dresses that my mother made on this board. Got rid of stuff from when I was a baby that my mother had saved, and a lot of childhood memories. But the thing I had to impress upon my wife is that everything, EVERYTHING we stick in a box this time in the attic is going to be something our kids have to go through and throw out when we're dead. What are my kids supposed to do with hand made baby outfit I wore in 1972? Or her baptism candle? We're not hauling any of that out to look at it again, I literally kept having to ask..."Cool, so we're saving that for our kids to throw out when we die?"

At some point, it's about being merciful to your kids. Why give them the guilt of having to trash it, or feel like they have to carry it on? We only boxed up and held onto stuff (books, special toys or clothes) that actually belonged to my kids, and that they might want when they're older and have their own kids. They can decide to throw them out or not, but that's it.

I'm not particularly sentimental, but it was still difficult to throw out stuff that meant enough to your mother to save it for you. But got to be done.

hahahaha. We have a set that is exactly as you mentioned. It was displayed, I finally was able to convince her that it could go in a drawer. Next step is move to boxes. Unless I start having formal tea parties with my girls, I don't see us using it.

My ex wanted our old set. I was glad to let her have that and some specific debt as a package. I hope she is still schlepping that crap around.

Definitely one thing the younger generation has been smarter about..could not tell you the last time I've seen a Wedding Registry asking for China..Crystal or Silver...been all Target..Wal Mart..Bed Bath and Beyond...IKEA...Pottery Barn Gift Cards..etc and the last few years I'm seeing lots of Lowes and Home Depot Gift Card Requests..kids these days are definitely getting practical

Reactions: Nole Lou

All these years I thought it was only my wife that kept crap like that. She still has in boxes clothes that she wore when she was a child. The hope was that our daughter would wear some of the clothes. However, after a few moves, my wife no longer knows where everything is...it is just in stacks of boxes.

I try to tell her we need to get rid of stuff and I always get "but I'm so busy I don't have time to go through it all". At some point I just need to pull out a box so we can go through it. If we don't need it, we need to take it to Goodwill that day. Then repeat once or twice a week for about a year until it is all gone.

The China Cabinet in the dining room is a whole other story. I think the china is actually my wife's grandmother's or great-grandmothers. She registered for a china set for our wedding, I found it and deleted it. I didn't want people giving us that crap. Through multiple moves the cabinet gets setup again and we have never used anything in it. At this point it just collects dust and takes up space.

90% of the crap we have around the house is good for nothing but a tax write off if we ever donate it. Unfortunately I am not allowed to go through it and donate what we don't need.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT